Quantcast
Tipping - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

My Ride
    ‘13 F30 Sportline

I usually start of with 10 bux, and with each mistake a dollar gets knocked off

How do you START with a set value? Easy there big spender, make sure you save cash to upsize your combo

As for me, triple the GST as the base then adjust according to service. 20-25% if it's great, 10% if it sucks (bad).

Pizza I tip 3-4$ on a medium...

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by Amysicle

And then it changed to 5% at the beginning of this year.
    so now its a lot easier...3X GST...

what sucks is even though you're nice to servers and they're nice to you...theres always a dick at the table beside you who treats them like crap. WTF is wrong with people sometimes?

My Ride
    old Toyotas

From what I've heard a full time waiter brings in anywhere from $600 to $1000 just on tips every week at most places.
    So I don't know, I don't think they are doing so bad after all for just bringing food from the kitchen to the table.

Originally posted by lelalong

But restaurants in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc. pay their staff well so they will never have to deal the tipping issue.
    So by tipping, what we're effectively doing is perpetuating the low wages paid in the service industry. Since I don't live on tips, and my income is taxed at source, I know that I'm (over)paying at least my fair share of taxes for the services that I receive. I think it's safe to say that the percentage of those who earn tips AND actually report this income on their taxes is quite low. Therefore they pay less taxes than they should for the income that they earn and for the same services that they enjoy. So by tipping I'm promoting tax evasion?

My Ride
    ‘13 F30 Sportline

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    How do you START with a set value? Easy there big spender, make sure you save cash to upsize your combo

As for me, triple the GST as the base then adjust according to service. 20-25% if it's great, 10% if it sucks (bad).

Pizza I tip 3-4$ on a medium...
    i was jk obviously. As far as tipping goes just base it on how your treated or even double the GST atleast. If its a crappy day like last week and you have a delivery guy coming out to get you some pizza, tip'em good

I'm sure everyone here does not mind tipping well i.e. 15%-20%+ if the service was at least good. What I don't like is those places that feel justified in setting a mandatory 18% or higher tip for parties 6 or larger. Tipping is a courtesy for good service, not a mandatory cost. There should always be a range for tips. Usually when there are large parties, the bill can easily run $1000 which in my opinion a 10% tip is more than suffice, but these restaurants are demanding 18%+ so that's another $180+ on top the meal and taxes. I just don't agree with that practice and will not eat at those places. That's just extortion I tell ya!

My Ride
    e36 BMW

alright always tip 15% becasue usually half that goes straight to tip out which goes straight to chefs, hostesses and the bar. Thanks to all those cheap asses for tipping 10% not even worth it cause you only actually make 4% of the bill.

Originally posted by doland
    alright always tip 15% becasue usually half that goes straight to tip out which goes straight to chefs, hostesses and the bar. Thanks to all those cheap asses for tipping 10% not even worth it cause you only actually make 4% of the bill.
    Always tip 15%???

Sure no problem...as long as I get decent service and good food.

The truth is in Calgary nowadays good service and well prepared food is hard to find no matter what level or dinning we're talking about.

So if your a waiter/waitress (or whatever the P/C term for that job is now) out there and your and consistently getting bad tips maybe you and your restaurant are the problem.

Originally posted by Schwa

And if the server is not a dick to me they will get tip. I shouldn't have to go to a restaurant and behave to expect good service.

so are you saying that it is ok to be rude or "misbehave" at a restaurant? I serve once a week on the weekends (can't quite give it up yet) and because I don't depend on that money there is no way I am going to bend over backwards to provide great service for someone acting like a jerk. Sometimes I'd prefer to serve a group of screaming 8 year olds than the people who snap their fingers at you and misbehave if you will. Some common courteousy IS EXPECTED when you are dealing with service staff anywhere regardless of the tip outcome. It's called human decency and has nothing to do with an expected tip. I'd prefer to serve a great table in a great mood who leaves me under 10% than the horrible table that leaves 20%. I'm not saying that you do any of these things, but I don't understand what you mean by "behaving"

My Ride
    96' Toyota Tacoma

The way it works at Earls and I bet joeys, cactus etc is 6.5% of your bill amount goes strait past the server to kitchen, hostess, tender, expo. So when tables only tip 10% the server only sees 3.5%, which is fine, but before I was a server myself if I received a warm welcome and didn't have to wait too long for everything I would tip about 15 percent. Now that I serve myself I usually tip 20% at least if the server is nice.

At full time I think the average server would bring in around 750 per week, but girls who work in the lounges at big restaurants make wayy more than that in a full time week.

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by ChevyZR2

CHEAp!!

If the service was good, I always leave a minimum of 15 to 20%.
    ... even if the food sucked.... 'cause its not the waiter's/waitresses fault so I don't punish them by being tight with a tip....

P.S. If you can't afford to leave a minimum 15% tip (if service was satisfactory) ... DON'T EAT or DRINK THERE....
    It's people like you we like serving man....Seriously I work in a restaurant bartending and serving. It's nice when people realise that it's not the server's fault that the food sometimes sucks...Usually I just tell them I will get their bill discounted by the manager and they usually leave that difference for tip on top of their original tip....And yeah your right that guy is cheap 10% is fuckin chincy on tip...I mean yeah it's a shitty job but you know what for tax purposes when it comes to getting a student loan it's why I do it.

Because I work in a restaurant I tip 20% to 25% if the service is good and food is good. 15% to 20% if service is good and food was bad or service a bit slow. If service is super bad and I mean extremely bad I tip 10% and ask to see a manager.

I have also tiped close to 50% once or twice when service was above and beyond what was required of the server.

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by lelalong

so now its a lot easier...3X GST...

what sucks is even though you're nice to servers and they're nice to you...theres always a dick at the table beside you who treats them like crap. WTF is wrong with people sometimes?
    hahah that happened to me and the table that was beside the people treating me like crap gave me a huge tip right infront of that table full of dicks and said really loud here's for the excellent service guess some people are just arrogant pricks and then he looked at the guy at the table beside him hahaha. That table ended up apologizing to me and also left me a big tip cuz they realised they were being dicks hahaha. Some people are awesome to serve. Some guy offered to pay for the table next to his once too and left me a tip of 25$ of the total of both bills and then when I told that table that the guy who had just left paid their bill they left me 30$ hahah. Realisticly though most people are cheap as hell and leave 10% I dunno why.

Originally posted by Ice712

Always tip 15%???

Sure no problem...as long as I get decent service and good food.

The truth is in Calgary nowadays good service and well prepared food is hard to find no matter what level or dinning we're talking about.

So if your a waiter/waitress (or whatever the P/C term for that job is now) out there and your and consistently getting bad tips maybe you and your restaurant are the problem.
    This hits the nail right on the head. I used to tip between 15% and 25%. But with the way Calgary's service has been sliding, I feel EXTREMELY generous giving 10%.

It used to be that I'd tip less at asian restaurants. But somehow things have completely reversed and now I actually tip more at asian restaurants because the service is better. The efficiently run mom and pop operations are a blessing in Calgary these days.

How do people feel that tipped positions are paid BELOW minimum wage in the US but not here?

My Ride
    93 integra

Because although americans are dicks they know how to tip. American gave me a 40$ tip on a 60% meal not long ago. I was surprised...Out here your lucky to get 10$ on a 100$ bill cuz Albertan's are cheap as fuck. NB I'd be making a bill or maybe 2 bills a night out here maybe 75 to 125 in a night if I'm lucky....Still pays the bills though....

Mr White sums it up nicely the way i feel about tipping,

"I don't tip because society says I gotta. I tip when somebody deserves a tip. When somebody really puts forth an effort, they deserve a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, that shit's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just
    doing their job.

These ladies aren't starvin to death. They make minimum wage.
    When I worked for minimum wage, I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tipworthy.

Hey, I'm very sorry that the government taxes their tips. That's fucked up. But that ain't my fault. it would appear that
    waitresses are just one of the many groups the government fucks
    in the ass on a regular basis. You show me a paper says the
    government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit you're telling me, I got two words for that: "Learn to fuckin type." Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big fuckin surprise."

you can call me cheap if you want but I'll pay 10% decent to good service. For exceptional i'd give 12-13%.

TIPS means "to insure proper service", if they dont give me proper service dont expect a tip. If people in Calgary werent so generous to bad servers we wouldnt have all this service industry bullshit where they automatically expect 15% for a lousy job.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Tips should be earned not expected.

If your not happy with your wage plus 10-15% average tips then do a better job at serving people or find a new job.

Originally posted by doland
    Fuck that, I tip what is deserved, buddy. If you are getting 10% you either suck or the food sucks. Either way get a different job if you don't like how people tip.

Effing Entitlement Generation

My Ride
    E90 335i

I build into my tip the concept that that money is not being taxed. Basically if I earn (as a salaried employee) $1, I only really get $0.60 at the end of the day. Therefore with my after tax dollars, I tip accordingly. You say 20%? So on a $100 tab, that's $20, well that's really more like $33 pretax so there you go! Although this is true, I'm just kidding.

The reality is I tip on service, fuck preset social expectations. If I get in a cab and it smells like shit and and cigarettes, I'll pay to the dime what the fare is. If I go to a restaurant, wait forever, see my server twice, I again tip accordingly (0-5%). If I am wowed by service whether its a high end place or a pub, I'll tip accordingly.

PS. What's the deal with the tip jar at coffee shops? Puh-fucking-leazeee, pouring coffee that I'm paying $3-5 for already???
    Last edited by B17a; 02-06-2008 at 11:58 AM.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast