Quantcast
Tipping - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Originally posted by A790

I agree with your first statement, but the way you said it originally made it sound as if it was the servers obligation to give you things for free. My bad.

In regards to your second comment, if the SERVER messes up then I don't leave a good tip. But, if the kitchen fucks something up and the server does everything they can to fix it, I see no reason to leave a bad tip. I only leave a bad tip when the SERVICE is bad, not when things beyond the servers control go wrong.
    So if the kitchen staff get tipped out, and the kitchen fucked up, why is it unreasonable that the tip reflects that? It's not like you can tell the server not to tip out the kitchen or the busboys.

My Ride
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer

But really, how does someone doing a shitty service still deserve a tip. I tip handsomely when the service is great and still tip 15% when its not, but my veiws are changing. People should not expect a tip, they have to earn it, and people in calgary right now expect it. I dont agree with that. Just like you said, that people shouldnt expect free stuff if there is a little error, servers shouldnt expect a tip if they do a terrible job.

I agree with your first statement, but the way you said it originally made it sound as if it was the servers obligation to give you things for free. My bad.

In regards to your second comment, if the SERVER messes up then I don't leave a good tip. But, if the kitchen fucks something up and the server does everything they can to fix it, I see no reason to leave a bad tip. I only leave a bad tip when the SERVICE is bad, not when things beyond the servers control go wrong.

But, as you said, better service = better tip.

If you don't want to tip eat only a fast food places.

My Ride
    91 MR2 turbo

good to see that the people on this board knows how to tip. Many people doesnt know that the tip just doesnt go to the server, about 1/3 of it or more goes to other employees in the resturant.

I hate people who go in and eat like they're loaded with money and treat you like their slave for the time of their stay and tips you 5-10% even if you did everything they asked for and more.

I usualy tip 20-25% if the service was good. The food i dont really judge because tipping is reguarded to their service and not the quality of food.

10-15% for when the service is ok and the server seems to only do what is required for their job.

5-10% is pretty rare for me unless the server is super rude and isnt doing their job trying to make your stay as comfortable as possible (eg. Chinatown)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by lint

So if the kitchen staff get tipped out, and the kitchen fucked up, why is it unreasonable that the tip reflects that? It's not like you can tell the server not to tip out the kitchen or the busboys.
    Generally, the kitchen will get a 1.5% tip out based on the nights revenue. The kitchen gets paid leaps and bounds more than the server, who likely earns minimum wage + tips. So from your $50 bill, $0.75 of that is going to go to the kitchen regardless of whether you tip or not.

Tipping is a remarkable thing. My girlfriend gets minimum wage and she made almost quadruple as much as my sister (a doctor) did in December because of tips. People are willing to toss a "poor" waitress $50 for serving a few drinks on a Thursday night but rejoice at not having to pay a $44/month healthcare premium.

I get kind of sick of tipping. I'll do that 12-15% thing if everything went right, I'll even give a little extra if they made the effort. But why should I tip anything if service was bad? You get paid to perform a minimum service and a tip should be given as motivation to go above and beyond. And now it seems like you have to tip everybody.

When I worked at a pub in London the only people you would ever get a tip from would be the odd North American because they didn't realize that tipping wasn't really a custom (My favorite moment was when a lady tried giving an English co-worker a five pound note and he gave her change). It was like this for a few reasons. First off I got paid pretty decently for the work I was doing, everybody did, as such tips weren't a primary source of income. Secondly, why did I deserve a tip for pouring a beer? Any idiot could do that. Guinness is really the only beer you'd ever have to pay any sort of special attention to. Occasionally you'd have to mix something, maybe put some ice in a glass and measure a double, why on Earth would I need a tip?

But I can't say I can complain. So long as there are people who think tipping well will get them laid, my gf will continue to be the main bread winner.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    Tipping is a remarkable thing. My girlfriend gets minimum wage and she made almost quadruple as much as my sister (a doctor) did in December because of tips.
    I bet your gf pays less income tax than your sister does too.

My Ride
    ////M

If you don't want to tip eat only a fast food places.
    Like everyone else said, you need to earn the tip, you don't automatically deserve it because you are working there.

Generally, the kitchen will get a 1.5% tip out based on the nights revenue. The kitchen gets paid leaps and bounds more than the server, who likely earns minimum wage + tips. So from your $50 bill, $0.75 of that is going to go to the kitchen regardless of whether you tip or not.
    I worked in a kitchen for 3 years... you might have to tip them out, but then you have something to blame any problems on (slow service even though the server didn't ring it in right, cold/hard food because the server didn't pick the food up quick enough, etc etc)

I don't expect much when I go out for dinner. One of my worst pet peeves is when I pay $4.00 for a coke, and I don't get a single refill, even though I finished it off during my appetizer.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by kertejud2
    Secondly, why did I deserve a tip for pouring a beer? Any idiot could do that. Guinness is really the only beer you'd ever have to pay any sort of special attention to.

But I can't say I can complain. So long as there are people who think tipping well will get them laid, my gf will continue to be the main bread winner.
    There's a right and wrong way to pour a stella as well.

Why do people make the assumption that if you tip a girl well you are trying to get laid?

When I go for drinks, I'm going to have fun. If the waitress/bartender makes it a fun time they get a GREAT tip, male or female. I just don't see the big deal.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    NC1

So what would you prefer?

Servers making minimum wages + tips + status quo on menu prices or increase the servers wages, no tips + increase menu prices.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost
    So what would you prefer?

Servers making minimum wages + tips + status quo on menu prices or increase the servers wages, no tips + increase menu prices.
    The latter.
    A) because everyone has a right to earn a living
    B) increase in wages means proper reporting of actual income, which means more equity when paying income taxes
    C) the price I see is the price I pay
    D) I'm having to pay that now with the expectation of tip

Menu prices have been steadily rising. Tip expectations have been rising. Service quality has been going down. Status quo might be good for the server, but certainly not for the consumer.

My Ride

^^

lint is right

the way I see it, restaurant owners have been taking advantage of the situation. They pay shit to their employees because they know people will tip. If people stopped tipping, employees would quit and owners would be forced to shut down, or pay their employee's fair salaries. How many other private industries do you have where the employer and the customer are pretty much splitting the salary of the employees?

Dont give me this crap about profit margins in restaurants being too small or having to raise food prices to make up for it either because its not true and you can see that by how much money even small restaurant owners are pulling in. Status quo is ok with the servers, but great with the restuarant owners.

There's a right and wrong way to pour a stella as well.
    But not too many people outside of Belgium would care about it

Why do people make the assumption that if you tip a girl well you are trying to get laid?
    I was really just going on with the comments near the beginning of the thread. Wasn't really being serious.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

^

Oh yeah, I didn't really direct that part to you specifically to quarrel or anything (believe it or not haha) it's just come up a few times in here and I find it somewhat assinine.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by ChevyZR2

CHEAp!!

If the service was good, I always leave a minimum of 15 to 20%.
    ... even if the food sucked.... 'cause its not the waiter's/waitresses fault so I don't punish them by being tight with a tip....

P.S. If you can't afford to leave a minimum 15% tip (if service was satisfactory) ... DON'T EAT or DRINK THERE....

Totally disagree with u...since most beyonders agreed (dumbasses)

wat is "satisfactory"?

"hi how can i help u?" = satisfactory?

"wat do u want?" = not satisfactory?

tip depends on the servers and the efficiency

if server had nice attitude/respect and efficiency id be happy to give 15% tip

if the server has bad attitude, slow service (if it wasnt too busy) then why should i tip them 15%? then is it fair for the better servers

P.S. Tell me which restaruant you work at...il tip you 15%

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Shift_Perform

Totally disagree with u...since most beyonders agreed (dumbasses)

wat is "satisfactory"?

"hi how can i help u?" = satisfactory?

"wat do u want?" = not satisfactory?

tip depends on the servers and the efficiency

if server had nice attitude/respect and efficiency id be happy to give 15% tip

if the server has bad attitude, slow service (if it wasnt too busy) then why should i tip them 15%? then is it fair for the better servers

P.S. Tell me which restaruant you work at...il tip you 15%
    So, by saying you disagree with him, you actually then go on to basically agree with him? Nice.

Originally posted by Schwa

And if the server is not a dick to me they will get tip. I shouldn't have to go to a restaurant and behave to expect good service.

lol you should behave because it is polite social behavior and common courtesy.

Didn't your parents teach you any manners?

Originally posted by bigboom

exactly there are so many other jobs i would tip for why would i pay an extra 15% just because someone has the physical ability to carry a plate from the kitchen to my table and write down a correct order? makes no sense to me...there is a reason those jobs are paid what they are paid thats becasue it doesnt take any special skill.

lol I can confidently bet that you've never worked as a server before. Serving requires alot of special skills such as time management, memory, articulation & sociability, and above all, the ability to multi-task. A good server is a rare gem. Common sense & good work ethics are a rarity in people in general. Actually, a great server, would make a good employee in most any field because they are bright, hard working & personable. Your comment reminds me of Rachel from Friends, a once socialite who commented "how hard is it to get a drink right?", who then ironically becomes a waitress that never gets the right drink order. Come work for me for a week and I'm certain you'll know why servers are paid what they are paid, and why they're tipped what they're tipped.

Overall, yeah, I agree that service has gone down over the last few years so don't tip or tip poorly the bad ones. It's only fair. But if you are residing temporarily or permantly in North America, you should observe our customs, which is to tip the customary 15% for good service. It really pisses me off when good service is provided but a shitty or no tip is left. It's discouraging and encourages bad service. What also pisses me off are the people who tip based on the kind of restaurant they're in. Good service is good service. I've seen someone tip a bartender $5 for pouring him a beer but can't tip 15% at ethnic restaurants?

That I don't believe in tipping bullshit is ridiculous. It is customary in North America which makes it proper etiquette. If you come to my house, where I leave my shoes at the door, are you gonna walk in and around my house with your shoes on? No, why? Because it's proper etiquette to observe the customs of your environment.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by winterkiss

lol I can confidently bet that you've never worked as a server before. Serving requires alot of special skills such as time management, memory, articulation & sociability, and above all, the ability to multi-task. A good server is a rare gem. Common sense & good work ethics are a rarity in people in general. Actually, a great server, would make a good employee in most any field because they are bright, hard working & personable. Your comment reminds me of Rachel from Friends, a once socialite who commented "how hard is it to get a drink right?", who then ironically becomes a waitress that never gets the right drink order. Come work for me for a week and I'm certain you'll know why servers are paid what they are paid, and why they're tipped what they're tipped.

Overall, yeah, I agree that service has gone down over the last few years so don't tip or tip poorly the bad ones. It's only fair. But if you are residing temporarily or permantly in North America, you should observe our customs, which is to tip the customary 15% for good service. It really pisses me off when good service is provided but a shitty or no tip is left. It's discouraging and encourages bad service. What also pisses me off are the people who tip based on the kind of restaurant they're in. Good service is good service. I've seen someone tip a bartender $5 for pouring him a beer but can't tip 15% at ethnic restaurants?

That I don't believe in tipping bullshit is ridiculous. It is customary in North America which makes it proper etiquette. If you come to my house, where I leave my shoes at the door, are you gonna walk in and around my house with your shoes on? No, why? Because it's proper etiquette to observe the customs of your environment.
    ding ding ding!! 3 pages to get a post like this?!

Nuff said!!

where would one go to work with winterkiss for a week?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by winterkiss

oh wait i want a burger with a salad instead of fries, i can write that down, how hard is that to get an order right? makes me laugh when people come around without a notepad take my order and get it wrong. and no thanks on the job offer i actually have a good job with a university education, im not being an elitist but the fact that waiters/waitresses can make more money than police officers and teachers is bullshit.

and when did 15% become customary? is it stated in tourism books? as far as i know it still is 10%, hell an oil and gas company i worked for wouldnt allow you to tip more than 10% on any company expense and this is a multinational corporation we're talking about.

the way people get paid should be based on how many people can do that job proficiently. almost all people can be servers, how many people do you know that is able to teach? save lives? there's a reason that school aged students all get jobs serving because anyone can do it, if you have half a mind and can say hello without pissing people off. and the fact that its an industry where looks matter? and any girl that looks decent can succeed?

ethnic restaurants? youre telling me that a place like ho won or little beijing with its dirty ass restaurants deserve a 15% tip? you must be white because in all honesty i dont know many asians that would tip 15% at those places.

also where do you see 30/40 year old servers? you dotn because the job is easy money and is not challenging, it takes a special kind of person to actually serve as a career and by that i mean lazy.

and as far as i know some of my friends do wear their shoes around the house.
    Last edited by bigboom; 02-12-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast