Quantcast
toyota corolla = chev nova? whats the story - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: toyota corolla = chev nova? whats the story

My Ride
    98 civic hatch

Default toyota corolla = chev nova? whats the story

does anyone know the story behind the mid 80s rolla and the nova why are they the same why do they both have the 4A-C
    did toyota sell out, or did the make a deal trying to trick the domestic lovers or was it the domestics dont know how to make a good small motor? i just want to know thats all thanks
    Last edited by jennyanniemary; 07-29-2003 at 06:20 PM.

My Ride
    Pathfinder

Toyota in N.A is partially owned by GM. Also Toyota in Japan sells Cavaliers under the Toyota brand name becuase no one in Japan is gonna buy a car thats north american made.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
    Toyota in N.A is partially owned by GM. Also Toyota in Japan sells Cavaliers under the Toyota brand name becuase no one in Japan is gonna buy a car thats north american made.
    Actually toyota is a 100%Japanese owned company. One of the only ones left. They have an agreement with chev to rebadge cav's as toyotas. They are quite popular because people always want what they cant normally get. Just like the ever popular astro vans there.

Originally posted by jdmakkord

Actually toyota is a 100%Japanese owned company. One of the only ones left. They have an agreement with chev to rebadge cav's as toyotas. They are quite popular because people always want what they cant normally get. Just like the ever popular astro vans there.
    Is just an alliance. There are tons of weird rebadged cars out there. The subaru justy shared most parts with the sprint/metro/firefly, the ford fiesta (and aspire?) was actually a kia, the mini uses chrysler parts etc

for the toyota/gm alliance, also the geo prizm/toyota corolla comes to mind as does the matrix/vibe
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Towards the mid to late 80's Japan and the United states as well as even Canada were experiencing trade discrepincies. Toyota Japan wanted to import more corollas than the US government would allow them...GM was also in a tough position because the cavalier wasnt doing very well so Toyota and GM rebadged the corolla and sold it under the GM name
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

i have one of those cars in my garage right now, my new winter beater lol. 93,xxxkms lol mint!!!!

My Ride
    98 civic hatch

thanks guys
    how dumb would it be to build a 20v nova front drive
    hehehe

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Ranger_X31

Is just an alliance. There are tons of weird rebadged cars out there. The subaru justy shared most parts with the sprint/metro/firefly, the ford fiesta (and aspire?) was actually a kia, the mini uses chrysler parts etc

for the toyota/gm alliance, also the geo prizm/toyota corolla comes to mind as does the matrix/vibe
    I am not sure that Subaru rebadge any car, could be wrong though.

Sprint/metro/firefly = suzuki swift

Ford Aspire and festiva = built by Kia, no real equivalent.

Mecury Villager = Nissan Quest (old)

Ford Ranger = Mazda B series

Ford Probe = Mazda MX6 mystere

I could go on forever

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by jennyanniemary
    thanks guys
    how dumb would it be to build a 20v nova front drive
    hehehe
    sleeeeepperrrrr

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Its old news... Today we still have it.

Toyota Corolla (previous gen 98-02) = Geo Prism

Toyota Matrix = Pontiac Vibe

Suzuki Vitara = Chevy Tracker

Just to name a few
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    98 civic hatch

since we on this topic does any know all the mitsu and chrysler cars example: talon eclip lazer
    is a 3000 a stealth?
    what about a chrysler 2000gtx with a 4g63 what the mitsu for that... and why does a hyundia sonata have a 4g63 also

Originally posted by benyl

I am not sure that Subaru rebadge any car, could be wrong though.
    No, the justy isnt a rebadged swift/firefly/sprint, but most parts were shared. This was long before GM bought 20 % of Subaru.

There are tons of chrysler/mitsu vehicles.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Here is a few more:

Ford Escape = Mazda Tribute = Land Rover Freelander

Ford Mondeo = Jaguar X-type

Also the new Dodge Crossfire is mostly MB parts... but that makes sense.

Acura rebadged a Isuzu Trooper
    Honda rebadged the Isuzu Rodeo = Honda Passport
    2004 Saturn Vue will have a 250hp 3.5L Honda V6!!!

My Ride
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3/2003 CBR954RR/81 KZ1000LTD

"since we're on this topic does any know all the mitsu and chrysler cars..."

Yes, the Eclipse, Talon and Laser are all the same car. The 3000GT and the Stealth are also the same. All five of these cars are the only true DSMs (Diamond Star Motors) on the road. All DSMs were produced out of the same plant in Normal, Illinois and the whole endeavour was a partnership between Chrysler and Mitsubishi.

The Eagle 2000GTX is the twin of the Mitsubishi Galant. Only the Galant was offered with the same 2.0L turbocharged engine as the E/T/Ls, although both the 2000GTX and the Galant had the all wheel drive option and the 4G63 block. I'm not exactly sure if these cars are considered DSMs as well.

Please refer to these sites for all your DSM needs:
    http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/
    http://calgdsm.proboards14.com/index.cgi
    http://www.ca.dsm.org/
    http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

Oh yeah, why does the Sonata have the 4G63 engine? I'm not really sure on this one. I would figure that when you're not as large of an automobile manufacturer, it's probably cheaper to design the car you have in mind and drop an engine in from a company that already has the technology. I could be way off here though. You seem to know a little more than your average bear 'bout these cars. Good stuff.
    Last edited by DSMer4Life; 07-30-2003 at 08:35 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by DSMer4Life

Oh yeah, why does the Sonata have the 4G63 engine? I'm not really sure on this one. I would figure that when you're not as large of an automobile manufacturer, it's probably cheaper to design the car you have in mind and drop an engine in from a company that already has the technology. I could be way off here though. You seem to know a little more than your average bear 'bout these cars. Good stuff.
    seems on the money to me...

http://www.wcperformance.com/mitsubi...m%20motors.htm

so we don't have to blame Hyundai for bad reliability... we can blame Mitsu?

My Ride
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3/2003 CBR954RR/81 KZ1000LTD

Originally posted by benyl

so we don't have to blame Hyundai for bad reliability... we can blame Mitsu?
    Well, that all depends on what part of the car has a lack of reliability. I'm not sure if Hyundai's bad rep comes from the Sonata, or it's 4G63 powerplant. I would think the Pony and Excel had something to do with that.

The 4G63 is actually quite a decent plantform to build on (400hp range on stock internals). Maintanence, or lack of it more specifically, is the usual cause of failure (i.e. not changing a timing belt and ALL related components) with these engines.

In Hyundai's defense, they are the largest large ship builder in the world (tankers as such). I guess cars are just a side business for them. Second in line for large ships...Mitsubishi. Some connection here? It was an interesting TLC episode anyway.
    Last edited by DSMer4Life; 07-30-2003 at 10:44 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by DSMer4Life

Well, that all depends on what part of the car has a lack of reliability. I'm not sure if Hyundai's bad rep comes from the Sonata, or it's 4G63 powerplant. I would think the Pony and Excel had something to do with that.

The 4G63 is actually quite a decent plantform to build on (400hp range on stock internals). Maintanence, or lack of it more specifically, is the usual cause of failure (i.e. not changing a timing belt and ALL related components) with these engines.
    Hey, I wasn't trying to hack on Mitsu. They didn't make the Pony engine, but it looks like from the link I provided that they did make the Excel. Mitsu has some great motors... they also have some shitty ones (look at any Chrysler minivan... it is almost guaranteed to leak oil). But all manufacturers have shitty motors. but this is getting off topic.

My Ride
    98 civic hatch

hehe, thanks, i do know more then the average bear
    you know what surprise me in the 2000gtx with the electronic suspention ride height garbage, i had this one with all the struts gone right and it expensive to get a replacement strut seem there was no aftermarket for it, and everyone i order it didnt fit for it, at the end the sonata struts fitted in the back and with out the electronic crap and it stood at proper height again and didnt bottom out, and who would have also thought a honda accord 86 alternator rectifier, brush, and regulator would be the exact same as a corolla/camry, seems like only the caseing is different for alot of alternators, from now on i not sending them out for rebuild anymore

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Many of the in car electronics such as HomeLink and the like are built by Johnson Controls. I think that you can find a lot of common parts.

Like the odometer on my Honda CBR 600 F4 looks strikingly similar to the odometer in a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder.

I am sure that there are a lot of parts that are similar with other cars from all sorts of manufacturers. It is very likely that most manufacturers shop in the same 3rd party parts bins.

My Ride
    KA-T S13

Originally posted by Speed_Dreams

Originally posted by jdmakkord

What? They aren't popular at all. Chevy sent 15000 J-bodies to Japan under the toyota badge about a year ago and they didn't sell well at all.

It was a nice try by them though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast