Year : 1997
    Make and Model :BMW 540i
    Exterior Color : Silver
    Interior Color : Black leather
    Auto or Manual? : Auto with sport mode
    Odometer Reading : 189k
    Location of Vehicle : Calgary
    Description : Full load
    Extras :Lowered, 18's, clear lights, crossed drilled rotors, Mech perfect!
    Asking Price : $12,500
    Contact Information PM
    E-Mail :
    Phone :
    Sorry wheels are dirty,

Before the clear headlights

**Bought a new car, so I'm bringing my old add back to life**
    Since my last post, I've done the exhaust (new high flow cats and replaced the monster y-pipe/cat with a Walker racing resonator) and replaced all the intake gaskets. The car was awesome for the summer, but now that winter is here, the wife wanted someting a little higher off the ground, so no M5 But i did find a cayenne Turbo that should keep her happy...and me!!
    Anyways, she is still a great car and has always been meticuously maintained! I've dropped the price ALOT for a quick sale.
    Thanks,

1997 540i , silver on blk leather, auto with sport mode, front and side air bags, full load (exp xenon’s) inc traction control, DSP audio w/changer, factory cellphone with voice control, heated seats and steering wheel (VERY nice in cold weather), Niche 3 piece 18” deep dish rims (polished lip), Brand new 245/40 tires, winter tires on factory rims, matching full size spare, Clear Hellas all the way around, crossed drilled rotors all 4, lowered on H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, tight and rides VERY comfortably.
    Just overhauled the full suspension and anything else that wasn’t perfect, have the receipts to prove it ($7000+ @164k+ kms)
    New plugs, alternator, rad, heater hoses, cabin filters, trust arm bushings, lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, inner tie rods, ball joints, battery, shocks, springs, strut mounts, alignment (dialed within factory specs), rotors and pads, tires. Even had Alberta Wheel size the hub to the OEM wheel size, meaning NO SHIMMY.

We bought it off the original owner, 50+ year old professional, who serviced it at BMW only. He traveled to Portland and back regularly. No accidents, some rock chips in the hood, original paint in very good condition (could use a power polish), and windshield is in excellent condition, no cracks. We bought it at 80k kms in 2001. We used it mostly hwy to the in laws and back, 8 hour drive. Wife drives it mostly. The car is FAST, excellent on the hwy, good hwy mileage for a V8, not bad in the city (depending on how you drive it), sport mode automatically shifts and holds the gears surprisingly well for an auto feature. The car has been perfect. Always ran synthetic at BMW, no leaks, no burning oil, breakdowns or surprises. It drives amazingly well in the snow with the winter tires. Never been stuck and it’s almost impossible to fish tail, even on purpose, with the traction control system. I can fish tail in my AWD Escalade 10x easier than this rear wheel drive car!!

The only reason we decided to overhaul any wearing parts, is because we thought we’d hang on to it for many more years. I sold my last 535 (straight 6) with nearly 300k and it still ran strong for much, much longer.

The bad;
    • 2 little marks on the rear passenger interior door panel from the previous owner. He had a display rack in the back seat the in dented the panel. I had C&R Techniques look at it and quoted $100 to fix it, I just never got around to it, basically forgot about it because you don’t see it everyday.
    • Some rock chips in the hood, but considering the age and that it is Calgary…I have to say the paint is in excellent condition! NO RUST ANYWHERE!
    • Under the front bumper (near the engine bottom cover) is a slight warp/tear, but it is out of view. It’s been like that since the previous owner, must have been a parking block. You can just see it in the front pic.
    • Little black mark on drivers’ front corner, dealer did that when they unloaded it off the truck brand new!! And NO, they never paid for it!! You can see it in the front pic.
    • Couple/few pixels out on the odometer area. Common issue.

That’s all the bad.

Anyone who knows me…knows that I am very into my vehicles. I take care of them, do them up the best I can and keep all my mods tasteful. I know my cars inside out!
    The car has 189k kms on it (75% hwy). Mechanically perfect!!
    So if you are looking for a nice, 2 owner, smoke free, rust free, adult owned (not bagged or tracked) safe, fast, reliable for years to come, car…This may be it!

PLEASE keep in mind if you post that this is not a "been through the auction, dealership, exchanged hands 10x, eastern rusted out, mechanically unknown 1997 BMW". It's been very well taken care of all it's life!!
    Thx
    New price $12,500
    Last edited by tc3; 02-21-2010 at 01:33 PM.

After it had the front clears with my old Grand Cherokee. Sorry about the poor cell pic.

forgot to mention it has 12 or 16 way adj seats. The super comfortable ones anyways.
    All the brakes, tune up, major work was done at 164k with the suspension.
    Price is on the higher side, But its open to reasonable offers!!

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

My Ride
    2000 BMW 540i/6-spd & 2008 Triumph Street Triple

Originally posted by tc3
    Willing to drop the price for serious buyers!
    Appreciate any 'constructive' feed back towards my pricing details too!!
    THX
    I'd say your price is very reasonable, considering you seem to have taken good care of it and have adressed most of the potential problems common to the E39 5-series... like the cooling system and control arm bushings.

Check with Calgary BMW to see if the gauge cluster has been changed on warranty (faulty pixels)... if not, you still might get one.

Also, check the wires running from the seat belt tensioner to the harness under the seat. If they are even slightly kinked or flattened, they may be the cause of the SRS light.

The 540 is under-rated... almost like a stealth M5. They are Faaast! 0-100km is around 6 seconds for the auto.
    Last edited by GT4rally; 02-18-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Never thought to check BMW to see if they'd warranty the cluster? It's only a couple that are out where the times shows, but it's still worth a try.
    I'll check the wires under the seat, could be that simple...
    THX

After reading that BMW is requiring a $3300 cluster swap if u import, I'm considering ditching the M5 search.
    Last edited by tc3; 02-21-2008 at 09:54 PM.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by tc3
    After reading that BMW is requiring a $3300 cluster swap if u import, I'm considering ditching the M5 search.
    It's actually around $4500 all said and done. The bastards make you change your heater controls too. My brother-in-law just finished importing his.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Why the heater cluster??

My Ride
    2000 BMW 540i/6-spd & 2008 Triumph Street Triple

Originally posted by tc3
    Never thought to check BMW to see if they'd warranty the cluster? It's only a couple that are out where the times shoes, but it's still worth a try.
    Mine was replaced under warranty, by the previous owner in 2003, and it is still perfect, so BMW must use an upgraded cluster.
    Last edited by GT4rally; 02-19-2008 at 02:03 AM.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by tc3
    Why the heater cluster??
    It reads in Fahrenheit, they change it to read celsius.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

Bumper from previous purchaser. He does take care of all his vehicles and any new owner would not be dissapointed. He's great on the follow up too!

If I was looking for a 540 I would latch onto this one.

+1 for a reference

My Ride
    EXT

Ahh...one day I want the M5....next day, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle...
    TTT

This is about as ugly as it gets with the winters on it...

Last edited by tc3; 03-02-2008 at 10:45 PM.

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

been through the auction, dealership, exchanged hands 10x, eastern rusted out, mechanically unknown 1997 BMW

you forgot to add rolledback odometer, english as a second language backyard flogger.

for the funny comments, bump for this thread.

Originally posted by 410440

you forgot to add rolledback odometer, english as a second language backyard flogger.

for the funny comments, bump for this thread.
    That too!! Thx

one more pic...sorry camera phone pic...

There is alot of 'meat' on those tires compared to the 18's...But it's like riding on air!!! And like I mentioned before, they do an amazing job in the snow!!

Last edited by tc3; 03-02-2008 at 10:51 PM.

My Ride
    changes daily :D

any chance you'd want to part with the summers?

Not right now. I've had them forever, but I still think they look hot on this car!! And they're 3 piece too!

My Ride
    changes daily :D

Free bump:

if you do ever want to sell your rims, i'm first in line please....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast