Quantcast
Internet Monitoring at Work: Your Thoughts... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Internet Monitoring at Work: Your Thoughts...

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I have been involved in cases where employees were let go due to the fact that they downloaded pron, and redistributed it.

Reasons for filters..
    Bandwidth costs money.
    Company is liable for what happens on it's computers
    Employees WILL waste time on facebook, chat, or beyond when they SHOULD be working
    Protect Computers from dangerous websites to cut IT costs

Why not to filter..
    Whiney employees think that they have the right to surf anywhere anytime and come up with dozens of rationalizations to support it.

As to that lame excuse of, "I got all my work done"... what are you, in high school? If you said to me, I got all my work done, I'd send you home and not pay you for that time. As long as I'm paying you, you're working, finding work, or coming up with new projects to create work, otherwise, you're simply not needed, and you're gone.
    Last edited by codetrap; 02-11-2008 at 10:13 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by eblend
    As long as you get your work done, why restrict people from checking a few things on the net every once in the while
    Bingo, my thoughts exactly
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Having Youtube or Facebook access isn't a right - it's a workplace bonus. You can do without it and you're not entitled to surfing the web either.

It's when people use it irresponsibly and screws it up for everyone else. That said, why feel offended when your company wants to see if you're worth the hire? Because you think you're meeting company standards?

You don't put Duff beer on the counter and expect Homer not to drink it.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Filtering is fine, monitoring is an invasion of privacy. Why are they allowed to read my personal emails and see what web sites I go to but not allowed to tap my phone line?

Originally posted by Swank
    Filtering is fine, monitoring is an invasion of privacy. Why are they allowed to read my personal emails and see what web sites I go to but not allowed to tap my phone line?
    Im not opposing you, but is there an actual law stating they cant tap your phone line? (Again it probably sounds like im doubting you, im not, i just want to know if there is a source to this)

Cheers
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    525it/XC90/V70R

I agree with it. If you have time to surf the net, even though all your "work" is finished, then you don't have a good work ethic, you are costing the company money. If you think you have good work ethic, then you would go to your boss, and ask for more work to do. But if you want to be stuck in the same dead end job for the rest of your life, complaining about "the man" trying to control your life, then by all means.

I dont mind it. I have restricted websites at work (youtube, facebook, etc) but im also allowed beyond and what not. I get all of my work done right away, usually take on special projects, and i still find time to post on here every once in awhile throughout the day
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride

the last time I worked in a office environment,

at first we were allowed to surf anywhere and everyone did, but most people got all their work done

when they put up filters and blocked everything, productivity went even further down, because everyone spent half their time trying to figure out how to bypass the filtering.

In the end they went back to the old way but made us all sign agreements saying we wouldnt visit certain types of sites and we wouldnt let it effect out productivity.

My Ride
    POS

Because all sites you visit should be work related. What gives you the right to check out other sites at work on their equipment and bandwidth? Are you paying for your own bandwidth? It's like driving a work bobcat home to lay your top soil? Work emails also belong to work, unless you're talking about hotmail then you shouldn't be surfing personal sites at work. Phones can be recorded as well, but they must let you know.

IMO, I like the freedom of surfing but we have most of the big time waster sites blocked like facebook, youtube, etc... it's a bit annoying, but as a company I never imagined how much our internet bill was monthly and it's $$HUGE$$, so I can see why they would limit the usage to save $$$,$$$.$$ < not kidding here.
    Last edited by topmade; 02-12-2008 at 01:32 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by rmk
    I think some people do abuse it, and in that case they need to be monitored and or cut off. It should only be implemented when something it said though from a co-worker or manager.

Even though where I work, they slow down Facebook and do filter alot of things, I couldn't get through the day without browsing beyond or other non-mature sites....
    + 1 million billion. I am breaking the "law" right now because I need the diversion and I'll do it till I get called on it because I am still more productive than approx. 95% of the rest of the people here. They'll never get called on it because they knit and read books instead which = bullshit.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by topmade
    What gives you the right to check out other sites at work on their equipment and bandwidth? Are you paying for your own bandwidth?
    The same thing that gives people the right to use their work phone for personal calls. And from what you're saying, they don't have the right. You think the main phone connection to the service provider is free? Nope. And with a VOIP phone you'd once again be stealing bandwidth. If there is a work place out there that won't allow someone to use their work phone to call home for a ride or something then I haven't heard of them.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

+ 1 million billion. I am breaking the &quot;law&quot; right now because I need the diversion and I'll do it till I get called on it because I am still more productive than approx. 95% of the rest of the people here. They'll never get called on it because they knit and read books instead which = bullshit.
    Stop your pissing and moaning and start knitting bitch

The same thing that gives people the right to use their work phone for personal calls. And from what you're saying, they don't have the right. You think the main phone connection to the service provider is free? Nope. And with a VOIP phone you'd once again be stealing bandwidth. If there is a work place out there that won't allow someone to use their work phone to call home for a ride or something then I haven't heard of them.
    yeah, that's totally the same thing

And yes, people that are on the phone all day making personal calls are filthy bastards that should die

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by eblend
    As long as you get your work done, why restrict people from checking a few things on the net every once in the while
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by Antonito

yeah, that's totally the same thing
    Then please explain the acceptability difference between a personal email and a personal phone call.
    Last edited by Swank; 02-12-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Then please explain the acceptability difference between a personal email and a personal phone call.
    Well, if we assumed that you only check one or 2 e-mails a day, no one would be having this conversation.

At work you dont have the right to privacy. Anything you do at work, on work time, your employer has the right to monitor and record.

You basically have the right to fucking work, and if you dont like, fuck off.

Its pretty simple. This whole topic is only being discussed because of people that abuse their priveleges and whine and complain.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 06:15 PM.

My Ride
    POS

Yes that's correct. If your company records calls (you must be aware of this) then they have all the rights to listen in on your personal calls and can use this against you if necessary. At my last job one of the guys did a phone interview while at work and got busted because it was recorded and he was let go, and yes he was aware of the recording he just didn't think of it at that time.

My response was directed to that particular post and I would hope to god that there isn't a employer like that out there.

Alterac: stop surfing and get back to work already.

way i see it, if you're looking at something you wouldnt want your boss to see looking over your shoulder, you shouldnt be looking at it at work.

Ive sent my boss a few links from beyond that i got a laugh out of

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast