Quantcast
Leaving your gigantic diesel pickup running.. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leaving your gigantic diesel pickup running..

My Ride
    2000 Jetta

Originally posted by danlowteg

I haven't heard of many 5 Liter Diesel engines? But what do I know I am a tosser because I like having legroom being 6'3, hauling around all my tools, getting around rough terrain, and hauling junk/auto parts for my friends.

Atleast you are not in denial about it.

Nothing like having a lifted truck driven by a tosser ride your ass in the city.

Originally posted by grrrouch

why does your spoon and fork have a carrot peeler on the handle?

Originally posted by tabouli
    ^^ They're JDM

My Ride
    your mom

soon enough we will have a law for that too

like jersey;

http://www.stopthesoot.org/sts-faq.htm#2

2. How long am I allowed to idle to warm up my diesel engine?

When the ambient temperature is below 25 degrees Fahrenheit, a motor vehicle may idle for 15 consecutive minutes when the vehicle has been stopped for 3 or more hours. Otherwise, idling is limited to 3 minutes. However, most diesel engines take 3 minutes or less to warm up (consult the engine manufacturer’s recommendations). Limiting idling will save fuel and money.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

^That's a pretty good website. Answers a lot of the questions I had about idling diesels.

"15. Will reducing idling really make a significant difference in reducing soot?

According to the EPA, the U.S. Department of Energy and other organizations, the average long-haul truck idles at least 1,830 hours per year, and, in the process, uses $2,200 of unnecessary fuel and emits 17 tons of carbon dioxide, 10 pounds of fine particles and 615 pounds of nitrogen oxides every year. Reducing idling will lower maintenance costs on each vehicle, save fuel and protect public health and air quality."

"16. Wouldn't the continual shutting off and turning on of diesel engines actually damage the engine and emit more soot than idling?

Idling an engine for more than about 10 seconds actually uses more fuel than if the engine had been turned off. It is more efficient to turn an engine off if it will be stopped for more than 10 seconds. Frequent restarts of an engine will not have a negative impact on engine components."

Interesting.

Eat it.
    Well, I suppose that's the answer I was expecting haha. Everyone I ask about idling their trucks usually tells me I'm just jealous/eat it/go drive your ricer car/I don't fuckin' care what people think ect ect.. No one really has a good answer about the idling thing.

I wonder what it is about diesel pickup owners that makes them so obnoxious.. Always driving 30+ over the limit, tailgating like mad, hacking and slashing up traffic and the like. Do you think it may be a by-product of constantly sniffing diesel fumes?
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    Hatred

My trucks a diesel and during the cold spell it wouldn't warm up at all idling so there really was no point, other then getting the fuel moving so if didn't sound like it was running on 2 cylinders.
    -U

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

haha!

I turn on my truck in the morning, and it doesn't get turned off until the end of my day.

Sometimes, I work 12+ hour days.

Eat it.
    Are those utensils LHD?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    If there's nobody around, open the door and shut it off.
    Thats what I would do
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by forkdork
    Because any who drives a truck is a tosser. Why else do they all put on such huge lift kits? It's so they can have a wank while sitting in traffic without anyone else seeing them.

The other problem is that 90% of them think that their 5L engine is basically the same as those in ships and locomotives so they leave them running without thinking that they will be getting incomplete combustion (and get fuel in their oil), get buildups on the cylinder walls from glazing, and then oil consumption.

OMG ME CAR IS DIESEL = NEED TO TREAT IT LIKE A CARGO SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LMAMAOAMAOMAOAMOAMAOMAOOPOMOOF

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Ummm... not so sure about the lights thing. The amount electricity (if any even, although I'm no electrical engineer) required to turn the lights off in an office is certainly infinitesimal in comparison to the amount saved by turning them off at night.

The lights are left on for the cleaning staff.
    Part of it is code, part of it is that if every building downtown turned their lights on at the same time.. it would probably create a pretty heavy load on things.

My Ride
    1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

The risk of blowing a lightbulb turning your lights on and off every day is significantly greater than if you just leave them on, and the cost of electricity on those fluorescent bulbs is probably less than replacing them.
    keegan
    - 1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2