Quantcast
Any stereo installers around? Have a writeup, need some work done - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any stereo installers around? Have a writeup, need some work done

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Any stereo installers around? Have a writeup, need some work done

Hey guys,
    So basically I want to keep my stock system but I want to change head units. Because of the setup on the 91 premium audio system it makes stereo installation a bit tricky. Im a retard when it comes to stereo installs so IM wondering if there is anyone on here who is available for hire or can recomend a good shop.. heres teh writeup thanks

Courtesy of user ac4000 (Adarsh) from board.mr2faq.com

So, got yourself Metra part no. 70-8112 and the connections look wrong? Yep, you've got yourself a '91 premium system. This unit appeared on the earliest MKIIs (possibly some '92s, but I haven't heard of any) and, unfortunately, to install an aftermarket system, you can't just plug and play. (The connection/wire color chart is below for those of you who want to jump right in.) You have two options:

a) You can wire in a new head unit (HU) and keep the existing amp (easiest and, since the premium amp is decent, you'll get good sound--my aftermarket HU makes a bigger difference than I thought it would); or

b) you can rewire everything, bypassing the factory wiring.

Here are instructions for a (for b, you're on your own). Make sure you use a HU with preamp (RCA) outputs--DO NOT send high current output to the amp! I'll assume you know how to dismantle your dash and pull the old system, so this only describes the wiring:

1. Get a 14-pin harness. You can pick one up from any electrical supply store. If you can't find a 14, you can use a 12, just attach the RCA connectors to the car side and you'll free up five pins on the harness. I picked up Mar Vac's part no. 11-06012 (made by Propart) for $4.39 (it's called a "Round Multi Pin Locking Connector"); it's a 12-pin, so I just skipped the BEEP and MUTE wires because my HU doesn't use them.

2. Get a short run of standard RCA stereo cable (or pick up four male RCA jacks, if you prefer). This will cost a couple of bucks.

3. Cut off the factory harness, leaving a little bit of wire in case you want to use old system again someday (save the old part). NOTE: The factory side includes two green wires and two brown wires--tag them so you know which ones go to which pins before you cut the harness!

4. Your "chain of connections" will look like this (the HU harness is what plugs into the back of your HU):

[CAR WIRING]-----[splice]-----[14-pin harness M][14-pin harness F]-----[splice]-----[HU HARNESS]

5. Connect factory wires 1-14 to wires 1-14 on the 14-pin harness. This just makes things easier to keep track of.

6. Connect your HU harness wires to the 14-pin harness as follows (note also that the 14-pin harness pin numbers correspond to the factory wiring, and I've provided the factory wire colors, if you decide to just wire this stuff directly--remember L = blue, GR = gray, and P = pink, in Toyota BGB parlance):

14-pin harness pin number (factory wire color) --> HU wire
    1 (P-L) --> Amp/Remote Turn-On
    2 (G) --> ILL+/Dimmer (+)
    3 (L-O) --> +B/Constant Power/Battery
    4 (B) --> MUTE
    7 (B-R*) --> ANT/Power Antenna
    8 (W-G) --> ILL-/Dimmer (-)
    9 (GR-R) --> ACC/Switched Power
    10 (BR) --> GNDL/Ground (Primary)
    12 (Y) --> BEEP

* The BGB shows this as G-B, but on my car it was not.

7. Connect the remaining 14-pin harness wires to your RCA connectors. Remember that the center RCA pin is positive, so connect all the center pin wires to the appropriate wires on the 14-pin harness. Connect all the negative wires together and splice them to GNDS (pin 11) (five wires will splice together for this part). Working with RCA wires is a bit delicate, so you may find it easier to buy RCA jacks. If you do that, you can run some extra wire to split GNDS into four wires (one per jack). Here are the speaker assignments:

5 (W) --> FL+/Front Left (+)/White Front RCA Connector Tip
    6 (R) --> FR+/Front Right (+)/Red Front RCA Connector Tip
    11 (G) --> GNDS/Speaker Ground/Speaker (-)/All RCA Negative
    13 (BR) --> RL+/Rear Left (+)/White Rear RCA Connector Tip
    14 (L) --> RR+/Rear Right (+)/Red Rear RCA Connector Tip

8. Tape up your HU's high-level output wires so they don't cause any problems (you won't be using them, of course).

9. Plug your HU harness into the HU, connect the RCA plugs, plug the 14-pin harness into the one you've added to your dash and you're ready to rock 'n' roll.

If you later decide to reinstall the factory unit, pretend the part you cut off earlier is the HU harness and wire as above. You may want to attach four RCA connectors to make things neat.

Installation Pictures

Dash area with 12-pin harness spliced onto the factory wiring:

Rear of the HU with 12-pin harness spliced onto the HU harness and HU harness plugged into the HU:

(Note, I used a 12-pin, rather than a 14-pin, and skipped the BEEP and MUTE connections, since my HU doesn't use them.)

thanks all
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I didn't have any issues with my 93 and I kept the rear amp while using the amp from the deck for the front channels and it was a breeze compared to the infinity system in my old eclipse.

I used the metra harness with the RCA pre-outs and it worked like a charm but it sounds like your car may have different wiring. I can search into it tonight and check the differences between the 91's & 93's but it shouldn't be too tough to whip something up that will be plug & play. If I can figure it out, you provide me that metra (or other depending on what I find) harness and the harness that comes with your aftermarket radio (w/ its wiring instructions) and I can solder up the harness and it should be plug & play for you to install.

My Ride

Dude that would be wicked thanks.. as far as I know your 93 has 2 subs rather than one if you have the premium. Yours is a US car so your deck should be the same as mine as well. There is a bolt in replaced for the stock sub on mr2oc.. i want to throw that in, run a better headunit
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Silver 12 sec Sedan

I took route b, just gutted the interior one weekend pulled out all the factory wiring relating to the stereo, pulled out all the factory equip. then ran new wire for my amps and new wire for all my speakers. A set of comps out from, some coax out back and some mid bass woofers. Its not to hard just take your time.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Dude that would be wicked thanks.. as far as I know your 93 has 2 subs rather than one if you have the premium. Yours is a US car so your deck should be the same as mine as well. There is a bolt in replaced for the stock sub on mr2oc.. i want to throw that in, run a better headunit
    Are you talking about the Tang Bands? I put two 5.25" ones in the rear locations but there is a fair bit of trimming of the speaker bezel involved to get it to fit in the factory sub boxes. For a $20 speaker though it's a pretty decent upgrade.

My Ride

tang bands.. yah not sure what that is lol... I call the things on the floor behind the driver and pass seats subs. Are you running stock amp?

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

tang bands.. yah not sure what that is lol... I call the things on the floor behind the driver and pass seats subs. Are you running stock amp?
    Tang Bands is one of the few manufacturers that makes a true 5.25" sub.

I ran MB quart component speakers in the doors and tweeter locations powered by the pioneer's deck's 50 w/channel amp which is higher than the stock amps output and 50W was the minimum (ie: not enough lol) nominal wattage for the MB Quart speakers. In the rear I retained the stock amps and just replaced the rear speakers with 3.25" Kicker speakers ($25 off ebay) and the subs with the two 5.25" Tang Bands.

Definately an improvement over the stock setup but it's not a thumper by any means.

I've done it before, I actually went and built myself that goddamn harness and did all the wiring for that mofo. Really clean job too. I helped Victor (sh0ko) with it and Corey as well. Victors' seen the work, it was really clean like I said.

Toughest part for me was wiring up the stupid ass RCA's and having to split the factory ground to 4 different wires. But i was able to wire in a replacment head unit and keep the factory amp and sub as well.

Let me know and I'll give you a hand with it.

D.

EDIT: You can buy the wires, RCA's and 14 pin wire harness from Active Electronics on 32nd Ave.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 02-13-2008 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

get the metra harness, and life will be easy.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

LOL I had a look at it, and went "fuck it" and took it to Audio Concepts in London. They're making a stealth box behind the passanger seat w/ a single 10" pioneer sub, a small amp (haven't decided yet on which brand), t-top racks (so I can still have them in the car), and then deck + speakers.

Pussy way out, I know, but saves me the headache.

(now watch the installer come on to beyond and ask how to do it - HAHA)

My Ride

Originally posted by red99600
    get the metra harness, and life will be easy.
    as per the write up
    So, got yourself Metra part no. 70-8112 and the connections look wrong? Yep, you've got yourself a '91 premium system. This unit appeared on the earliest MKIIs (possibly some '92s, but I haven't heard of any) and, unfortunately, to install an aftermarket system, you can't just plug and play. (The connection/wire color chart is below for those of you who want to jump right in.) You have two options:

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

Hey redlyne i did my stereo install like 2 weeks ago and it was so confusing for me and then i found the most amazing wiring diagram and then matched it all up for exactly the 91 premium setup.... it also really is Dependant on what plug is in the stock headunit... i could scan it up and send it over to you.. or if you wanted give you a hand doing it... i spent probably close to 2hrs trying to figure it out and was getting kind of frustrated... found / made this diagram and bang it's like so easy... hehehe

ill take some pics/ scan it up...

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

Alright here we go... i just typed this up...

If i had found this when i was doing my install oh my goodness would have been so much better!!! but thats okay someone else can use my diagram... alright so i made it pretty easy to follow what i did was wire in my amp to ACC so that you get remote turn on switch when you turn the car on.... then for every single negative speaker wire on the after market harness i wired into a secondary ground that i made or you could wire it into the originall factory ground.... in other words follow the instructions in the chart and then wire these wires together from the aftermarket harness...

White with black strip, Grey with black strip, green with black strip and purple with black strip into the factory ground and you will have a working headunit with stock amplifiers, speakers and the whole nine yards

hope this helps if you have any other questions pm me!!!

as per the write up
    damn, i'll have to look into this for my 91 as well then

My Ride

Originally posted by ~Porsche~
    Alright here we go... i just typed this up...

If i had found this when i was doing my install oh my goodness would have been so much better!!! but thats okay someone else can use my diagram... alright so i made it pretty easy to follow what i did was wire in my amp to ACC so that you get remote turn on switch when you turn the car on.... then for every single negative speaker wire on the after market harness i wired into a secondary ground that i made or you could wire it into the originall factory ground.... in other words follow the instructions in the chart and then wire these wires together from the aftermarket harness...

White with black strip, Grey with black strip, green with black strip and purple with black strip into the factory ground and you will have a working headunit with stock amplifiers, speakers and the whole nine yards

hope this helps if you have any other questions pm me!!!
    Because yours is JDM it might be a bit different than the USDM ones, I think the JDM ones are the same as the CND ones but until I see your old deck I cant tell.

Basically my goal is to keep the stock wiring, connect a deck to the stock wiring to power all speakers, amps, subs etc. I want to replace the sub amp with a small 50x2 and replace the stock sub with a little bit of a larger sub. Also want to replace the mids and sweeters still while retaining all the stock wiring.. if this makes sense then Ill definitely hit you up for some assistance.. both you and heavy d lol

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    996TT

All you need is a 70-8113......

then it'slike a normal stereo install.... Actually even easier.

I can't beleive you didnt'ask me redlyne.
    Last edited by Ek9Max; 02-14-2008 at 09:47 AM.

My Ride

as per the write up
    Ill post this for you too Max lol

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    996TT

Yea dude when i was at visions, I did tons of mr2's. The 70-8113 is for toyota amplified systems....

I may be wrong on teh part number, but i'm pretty sure.

My Ride

Originally posted by Ek9Max
    Yea dude when i was at visions, I did tons of mr2's. The 70-8113 is for toyota amplified systems....

Were any of them US? I think the US system is different..

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Ek9Max

Are you going to help him out with a cable? You should be able to make a harness that's plug and play with the new radio rather than splice into the factory wiring as the original example which works but is a little sloppy IMO. I can do it also but we need to find out what connections he has on the back of his stereo. My computer at home just cratered last night so I can only post in the day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast