Quantcast
BBQing Lobster tails, procedures - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BBQing Lobster tails, procedures

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Bump, going to do up some more this weekend but my question is, where can I find larger tails? The Safeway ones are always so small.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

try these guys
    http://www.billingsgate.com/

haven't been to the location in a while so I don't know if they have any larger tails.

My Ride
    Skateboard

why not go to an asian supermarket and get live lobster?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Boyd's fish market on 14st and 16th ave?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by G
    Because I don't have the courage/heart/skill to kill a live lobster.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Because I don't have the courage/heart/skill to kill a live lobster.
    Man Up! Or you can put them in the freezer for like 5-10 minutes before you slice them in half. Make sure to stick a chop stick up the rear to let all the liquid out first.

Never tried but I am sure you can get the fish monger to cut it in half for you. Try the fish store where Lamba supermaket is.

My Ride
    CBR 929

I find them easier to make in the oven/under the broiler.

Cut the shell lengthwise with a pair of scissors on the top. If you carefully get your fingers under the shell (be careful the cut edges are sharp)you can gently pull the meat up on top of the shell in one piece(leave the end attached at the very end of the tail). Then slice slightly down the middle to remove the poop tube (sorry don't know the real name for this). I put a bit of seasoning salt on top and you are good to go. Should look similar to the tails you get at the Keg.

Broil in the oven on low until the meat is firm and no longer translucent (about 8 minutes).

[url]

Originally posted by G
    live lobster is superior only when ultra fresh. frozen lobster is caught and flash frozen on the boat (like pretty much all sushi grade fish), and is thus very high quality. the problem with trying to keep live lobster is that once they are removed from the cold and high pressure, they stop eating, which degrades both the shell and meat. unless you can get super fresh lobster, frozen is often a good way to go. just my dumb opinion

and thanks again to dj rice, beyond's resident culinary school grad!!!

EDIT: and i prefer steaming, although that's the only way i've done it, so take that for what you want hahah
    Last edited by nonlinear; 02-10-2010 at 12:53 AM.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Bump, going to do up some more this weekend but my question is, where can I find larger tails? The Safeway ones are always so small.

If you are in the south end of the city, hit up North Sea Fish Market by Willowpark Wines. I haven't been disappointed with anything I have bought there. If they have it, grab some chilean sea bass. Soooooo good

Otherwise, I agree with the suggestion for Billingsgate.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by dannie

If you are in the south end of the city, hit up North Sea Fish Market by Willowpark Wines. I haven't been disappointed with anything I have bought there. If they have it, grab some chilean sea bass. Soooooo good

Otherwise, I agree with the suggestion for Billingsgate.

O M G, Chilean sea bass. I do a super easy recipe of the just the fish salted and peppered, with lots of soy sauce, slices of ginger/garlic layered around the fish a bit, put into a casserole dish, cook it in the microwave, can't remember how long, but it essentially steams the fish in the dish with the lid, then at the maybe last 5 mins of cooking, I chop up cilantro, and green onions, put on top, and voila, so good. The sauce itself is the fish juices/oils mixed with the soy sauce. Yes I know, I can steam the fish in a better way but this is a one dish cleanup
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

^ That sounds eerily similar to mine

Soy Sauce, Oyster sauce, little bit of peanut oil, cilantro, garlic, ginger, scallions and I thrown a hot pepper or two in there for good measure. Marinate it for the day and bake it or bbq it.

I made it Sat night for a bunch of us with a spinach, mushroom, onion saute, veggies and dirty rice.

I love Chilean Sea Bass So good

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

mmmmm

Also, cant believe beyond doesnt have a cook forum yet..
    Life is a Gamble.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by dannie
    ^ That sounds eerily similar to mine

Soy Sauce, Oyster sauce, little bit of peanut oil, cilantro, garlic, ginger, scallions and I thrown a hot pepper or two in there for good measure. Marinate it for the day and bake it or bbq it.

I made it Sat night for a bunch of us with a spinach, mushroom, onion saute, veggies and dirty rice.

I love Chilean Sea Bass So good

Why don't you come over to my place and we'll swap recipes? And I am saying this under the assumption you are a female.

But yeah, the recipe can be used with any kind of white fleshed fish actually, even whole fish. I've substituted halibut in lieu of the sea bass once and even though it wasn't as smooth/soft fleshed and fatty as the sea bass, it was pretty good. But damn so expensive.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Your assumption is correct lol

Since I started using sea bass, I have had a hard time going back to halibut. At the North Sea Fish Market... I got 4 good size portion (about 6oz a piece) and it cost me around $26. Not too bad in my books....

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by G

Man Up! Or you can put them in the freezer for like 5-10 minutes before you slice them in half. Make sure to stick a chop stick up the rear to let all the liquid out first.

Never tried but I am sure you can get the fish monger to cut it in half for you. Try the fish store where Lamba supermaket is.
    Yup they are cold blooded so I throw them in the freezer for 10 min or so. They pretty much just go to sleep..... then... "I Kill you" and on the charcoal grill.

I would have a hard time doing it when they are all active n' shit, but out of the freezer its easy.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

You need the CrustaStun, son!

http://gizmodo.com/219716/crustastun...sters-humanely

http://www.crustastun.com/single-stunner.html

Gotta eat a lot of lobster to make up for the $4000 price tag, especially when you can pith them with an awl for next to nothing
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    2002 Accord

You can try Boyd's Lobster Shop. Never tried them but they have a special with the Calgary Sun; buy a $100 gift certificate for only $50.

So you can get $100 worth of seafood for $50!

http://thriftythursdays.calgarysun.c....aspx?mid=1541

Edit: GC Sales start on Thursdays at 7am and you have to be quick for some of the other stores.
    Last edited by Redwagon; 02-12-2010 at 01:54 PM.

My Ride
    FAP,BEG

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    Gee, R. thanks for the invite to dinner man...

i want in when u get bigger lobster tails

Powerd by-J's Racing,Spoon,T1-R,Volk,ASM,Cusco
    www.speedtechracing.com

Originally posted by nonlinear

live lobster is superior only when ultra fresh. frozen lobster is caught and flash frozen on the boat (like pretty much all sushi grade fish), and is thus very high quality. the problem with trying to keep live lobster is that once they are removed from the cold and high pressure, they stop eating, which degrades both the shell and meat. unless you can get super fresh lobster, frozen is often a good way to go. just my dumb opinion

and thanks again to dj rice, beyond's resident culinary school grad!!!

EDIT: and i prefer steaming, although that's the only way i've done it, so take that for what you want hahah
    Sounds good but whenever I've had frozen lobster it really pales in comparison to just regular live lobster bought from the store. Just from my experience.

there's some info on how to tell if a live lobster is fresh or not here:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/food...terstorage.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2