Quantcast
Watch out for falling Spy satellites - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watch out for falling Spy satellites

My Ride
    Mirage

Default Watch out for falling Spy satellites

WASHINGTON - President Bush has ordered the Pentagon to use a Navy missile to attempt to destroy a broken U.S. spy satellite — and thereby minimize the risk to humans from its toxic fuel — by intercepting it just before it re-enters the atmosphere, officials said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The effort — the first of its kind — will be undertaken because of the potential that people in the area where the satellite would otherwise crash could be harmed, the officials said.

Deputy National Security Adviser James Jeffrey, briefing reporters at the Pentagon, did not say when the attempted intercept would be conducted, but the satellite is expected to hit Earth during the first week of March.

"This is all about trying to reduce the danger to human beings," Jeffrey said.

Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at the same briefing that the "window of opportunity" for such a shootdown, presumably to be launched from a Navy ship, will open in the next three or four days and last for seven or eight days. He did not say whether the Pentagon has decided on an exact launch date.

Cartwright said this will be an unprecedented effort; he would not say exactly what are the odds of success.

"This is the first time we've used a tactical missile to engage a spacecraft," Cartwright said.

After extensive study and analysis, U.S. officials came to the conclusion that, "we're better off taking the attempt than not," Cartwright said.

He said a Navy missile known as Standard Missile 3 would be fired in an attempt to intercept the satellite just prior to it re-entering Earth's atmosphere. It would be "next to impossible" to hit the satellite after that because of atmospheric disturbances, Cartwright said.

A second goal, he said, is to directly hit the fuel tank in order to minimize the amount of fuel that returns to Earth.

Software associated with the Standard Missile 3 has been modified to enhance the chances of the missile's sensors recognizing that the satellite is its target; he noted that the missile's designed mission is to shoot down ballistic missiles, not satellites. Other officials said the missile's maximum range, while a classified figure, is not great enough to hit a satellite operating in normal orbits.

"It's a one-time deal," Cartwright said when asked whether the modified Standard Missile 3 should be considered a new U.S. anti-satellite weapon technology.

Cartwright also said that if an initial shootdown attempt fails, a decision will be made whether to take a second shot.

Jeffrey said members of Congress were briefed on the plan earlier Thursday and that diplomatic notifications to other countries would be made before the end of the day.

Shooting down a satellite is particularly sensitive because of the controversy surrounding China's anti-satellite test last year, when Beijing shot down one of its defunct weather satellites, drawing immediate criticism from the U.S. and other countries.

A key concern at that time was the debris created by Chinese satellite's destruction — and that will also be a focus now, as the U.S. determines exactly when and under what circumstances to shoot down its errant satellite.

The military will have to choose a time and a location that will avoid to the greatest degree any damage to other satellites in the sky. Also, there is the possibility that large pieces could remain, and either stay in orbit where they can collide with other satellites or possibly fall to Earth.

It is not known where the satellite will hit. But officials familiar with the situation say about half of the 5,000-pound spacecraft is expected to survive its blazing descent through the atmosphere and will scatter debris — some of it potentially hazardous — over several hundred miles. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

The satellite is outfitted with thrusters — small engines used to position it in space. They contain the toxic rocket fuel hydrazine, which can cause harm to anyone who contacts it. Officials have said there is about 1,000 pounds of propellent on the satellite.

Known by its military designation US 193, the satellite was launched in December 2006. It lost power and its central computer failed almost immediately afterward, leaving it uncontrollable. It carried a sophisticated and secret imaging sensor.

(This version CORRECTS Recasts lead; corrects spelling of Jeffrey in grafs 2,3 and 13. SUBs 11th graf to clarify that the Standard Missile 3 is designed for use against ballistic missiles and that its range is insufficient to hit satellites operating in normal orbits.)
    Current Whips:
    2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    2004 Silverado 2500HD 7" Lift
    2001 Silverado StepSide 2/3 Lowered

My Ride
    Integra

Wow thanks for that update I herd about it once last week and well havent herd too much about it

My Ride
    Integra

Oh yes and from what i herd their hoping this just hit water which is likey and their hoping that it dosent land in the hands of the wrong people cough cought russians .. cough

My Ride
    Mirage

Well as long as it stays away from Calgary or well Canada for that matter.
    Current Whips:
    2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

My Ride
    Integra

Hopfully india or china well lets just say a largly over populated area..... dont meen to sound meen or anything
    it could act as a popluation stabilizer haha i dont know,
    some people say the sunami wasnt a natural desaster?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Hmm, so its ok for US to shoot it down for "safety" but not China...

Originally posted by pome902
    their hoping that it dosent land in the hands of the wrong people cough cought russians .. cough
    As if the Russians would give a shit, they have a billion old ass spy satellites of their own.

Hopfully india or china well lets just say a largly over populated area..... dont meen to sound meen or anything

ya and so was the holocaust are you fucking retarded

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

ya and so was the holocaust are you fucking retarded
    No he's not retarded because he has pictures of a BMW in his avatar/sig.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Oh yes and from what i herd their hoping this just hit water which is likey and their hoping that it dosent land in the hands of the wrong people cough cought russians .. cough
    im russian thanks.. i took offense to that

i vote for ban

again, i state my point, you need a midget to help you with spelling..
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    ////M

wow...
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Why is this "the first of it's kind..."????.... the Chinese already did this last year.... at 4 times the range....

Judging from it's "Star Wars" efforst, If the US wants to hit it and not embarrass itself, maybe they should contract out to the Chinese
    Last edited by Toma; 02-14-2008 at 06:35 PM.

My Ride
    Mirage

Let the Chinese do it then if they mess up it could be an act of terrorism and bush can try and make a move
    Current Whips:
    2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

wat

Also it is called a tsunami not a sunami
    Last edited by Dj_Stylz; 02-14-2008 at 07:09 PM.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Bullshit this is about not hurting people. The US just doesn't want to to splash down somewhere and have somebody scoop it up to learn from it.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

http://www.space.com/news/spacehistory/dangerous_reentries_000602.html

Cosmos 954: nuclear fallout

To this day, the most frightening satellite reentry remains that of Cosmos 954, a secret Soviet-navy satellite launched on September 18, 1977.

Designated the US-A, (US is a Russian abbreviation for Controlled Satellite), Cosmos 954 was anything but controlled. As it spiraled down, the satellite moved dangerously close to the dense atmosphere. There, atmospheric friction would inevitably slow it enough to cause it to drop out of orbit. To make matters worse, the Soviet government was tight-lipped about the status of the military spacecraft.

When it became clear in the West that there would be no boosting of the disabled satellite's nuclear core into safe orbit, the U.S. government started secret but frantic preparation for the worst. A specially equipped search and cleanup team geared up, ready to fly anywhere in the world if the debris were to reach dry land.

Landing on Canadian soil

On January 24, 1978, Cosmos 954 reentered over Canada, with debris hitting the ground in frozen and scarcely populated areas in Canadian Arctic. The U.S. team, which many now believe was associated with the CIA, arrived in Canada to assist in the search. The day after the crash, they started overflights of the area trying to detect the radiation from the spacecraft's remnants.

In the following days other pieces were found, scattered along frozen desert; one emitted 200 roentgens of radiation per hour -- the level which is enough kill a human after a two-hour exposure. A special container was hastily prepared to remove the object. For several months afterwards cleanup teams continued their efforts.

In the aftermath of the accident, Canada sent the U.S.S.R. a bill for $6,041,174.70 USD, half of which the Soviet government paid after three years of negotiations.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 06:07 PM.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

You certainly were.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    Bullshit this is about not hurting people. The US just doesn't want to to splash down somewhere and have somebody scoop it up to learn from it.
    My moneys on this.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by Pihsiak
    There have been others, too. Most of them just burn up on re-entry, but the fact remains that plutonium is the easiest and most cost effective way to heat satellite internals long-term. It doesn't burn up, either, it disperses. The US and the Soviets are equally guilty for this.

As the near-orbit space gets more and more crowded, this is going to be more frequent. Old units will be dropped out to free up space (pun intended...).
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    As if the Russians would give a shit, they have a billion old ass spy satellites of their own.
    [/B]
    It went up in 2006. Could possibly have some of the most advanced technology anywhere.

My Ride
    MK7 R

hahaha this guy HAS to be retarded. all his posts are fucking painful to read. ridiculars!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast