Quantcast
O&G is doomed, sky is falling, blame stelmach, etc - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: O&G is doomed, sky is falling, blame stelmach, etc

Originally posted by USED1
    I guess you don't quite know your facts very well. Many of the SAGD projects recycle the water once it has been brought back up to surface. Maybe you should become an informed citizen rather than being like all of the other useless assholes spouting of "facts".
    Mining projects recycle some of the water from the settling ponds. But the settling ponds in itself are a disaster. As for SAGD and CSS (more so for CSS - and there is more CSS production than SAGD) lots of water is lost in the reservoir to displace the oil.

All this is beside the point anyway - the fact is that's the amount of good fresh water it takes to produce 1 barrel of bitumen regardless of where the water comes from (whether it be recycled or not).

I'm not sure how much more informed I can be. I do this at work. I've been at site in Fort Mac. I'm doing courses in graduate studies on this right now at U of C. Maybe you should think before you troll in topics you know nothing about.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Regardless of this news it's not like people in Alberta won't be able to stay in Calgary/Alberta and work on projects based out of Sask.

There is a lot of work still to come for many, many years.

you guys also forget that the new royalty regime doesnt kick in until next year. so the backlash from Stelmach's plan wont actually come into play until 2009.

When the royalty review was passed 47 of 98 employees at my company was fired. By noon. I had to sell my condo for 70% of what I bought it at. None of my friends have jobs either... they all got fired too the day of the announcement.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    When the royalty review was passed 47 of 98 employees at my company was fired. By noon. I had to sell my condo for 70% of what I bought it at. None of my friends have jobs either... they all got fired too the day of the announcement.
    that sucks

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Wow that's terrible. Time to hop on the Suncor Voyageur train, that'll keep you busy for 2 years.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

Yup, the company folded in about two days, and now the ex-CEO and I panhandle together on the streets. He's a pretty chill dude... guy has killer skills with a squeegee.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Yup, the company folded in about two days, and now the ex-CEO and I panhandle together on the streets. He's a pretty chill dude... guy has killer skills with a squeegee.

Hahaha
    How big is the company? Must be fairly small if it was drastically affected by the Royalty Review. Apply to bigger companies working on Suncor or Sycrude. The Oil Sands projects are still pretty strong and I highly doubt they cancel these projects for a $2B increase.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by JordanEG6

Wow that's terrible. Time to hop on the Suncor Voyageur train, that'll keep you busy for 2 years.
    You mean the time in design currently in one of the many EPC companies doing work on Voyageur - then the construction time, plus a direct contact from Suncor told me that they just signed another 2-3 Billion expansion project on top of what they are already doing. He told me that they should have enough work for at least 8-10 years on Voyageur alone.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by richardchan2002

As for SAGD and CSS (more so for CSS - and there is more CSS production than SAGD) lots of water is lost in the reservoir to displace the oil.

For SAGD and CSS oil sands operations, it takes 130-175 gallons of fresh water to produce 1 barrel of bitumen
    Sorry man, propaganda. Take it from me, I work in a SAGD plant.

Infact I work for the highest efficiency water recycle SAGD plant in the industry. The amount of Quench water we bring in (Raw water) is not very much. We have over 95% recycle rate. As for Water displacing the oil, we have a well setup as an experiment right now where Natural gas is being forced down to maintain the cavern pressure, while using LESS steam. This Nat. gas will be recoverable at the end also.

Steam displaces the cavern volume and it's also 1:1600 expansion ratio from water. Fuck I hate misinformation.

O&G is the devil, boohoo
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Go ahead, move to Saskatchewan. 99% of the tar sands are in AB

That may be so but Sask has a huge play going on and that the Bakken oil play, that play alone generated a record land sale in Sask. and this play is just starting to get hot.

Originally posted by Darkane

Sorry man, propaganda. Take it from me, I work in a SAGD plant.

Infact I work for the highest efficiency water recycle SAGD plant in the industry. The amount of Quench water we bring in (Raw water) is not very much. We have over 95% recycle rate. As for Water displacing the oil, we have a well setup as an experiment right now where Natural gas is being forced down to maintain the cavern pressure, while using LESS steam. This Nat. gas will be recoverable at the end also.

Steam displaces the cavern volume and it's also 1:1600 expansion ratio from water. Fuck I hate misinformation.

O&G is the devil, boohoo
    I wouldn't be able to make a living in Calgary without O&G. I'd be screwed if it tanks. But facts are facts.

I won't argue with you that SAGD is one of the most efficient options. Too bad it only accounts for only between 1% and 10% of total bitumen production. Cyclic steam or mined bitumen will never see that kind of efficiency. And is your efficiency really 95%? How much of that is waterflood from acquifers? How can you realistically expect water (or even natural gas) with its high mobility and low viscosity inside a low permeability bitumen reservoir to have 95% recovery?

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

You mean the time in design currently in one of the many EPC companies doing work on Voyageur - then the construction time, plus a direct contact from Suncor told me that they just signed another 2-3 Billion expansion project on top of what they are already doing. He told me that they should have enough work for at least 8-10 years on Voyageur alone.
    Excellent haha, good news for me. But I should've been more clear BTW, by 2 years I meant for my companie's scope of work to tie in P/L's to ETF/ATT, P/Ls to VU and Fresh Water P/Ls all to the Main Plant. Which takes up only $250M, a super small percentage of Suncors total budget of over $11B. The rest of the scopes from bigger companies are, like you said, much more busy and WILL continue to be busy for a long time. And now 8-10 years.

I'm the only designer in the department taking care of the instrumentation/PLC/cabinet design and metering for these lines, so my job is secure for awhile thankfully and so are many others in industry, so no, O&G isn't doomed, especially for the AOS.

Also, with all that in mind, I think the expansion was signed because of recent fires at one of Suncors plants and as well as Syncrude's plants, losing over 280, 000 barrels a day, so they'll need P/Ls to feed each other in case of such events happen again. However I could be wrong, but that was another announcement at my work this past month. I think I'll be doing the metering/instrumentation for that as well. *cross fingers*

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Originally posted by bigboom

That may be so but Sask has a huge play going on and that the Bakken oil play, that play alone generated a record land sale in Sask. and this play is just starting to get hot.
    Also Junior Oil Companies are more likely to establish in Saskatchewan in the next few years. Not only because of the Royalty Increase, but also because the competition in Calgary is just way too high to keep these Junior Firms running.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Mining projects recycle some of the water from the settling ponds. But the settling ponds in itself are a disaster. As for SAGD and CSS (more so for CSS - and there is more CSS production than SAGD) lots of water is lost in the reservoir to displace the oil.

All this is beside the point anyway - the fact is that's the amount of good fresh water it takes to produce 1 barrel of bitumen regardless of where the water comes from (whether it be recycled or not).

I'm not sure how much more informed I can be. I do this at work. I've been at site in Fort Mac. I'm doing courses in graduate studies on this right now at U of C. Maybe you should think before you troll in topics you know nothing about.
    I specifically said SAGD you fucktard. BTW, I am directly involved in SAGD projects and 90% of the water is recycled. Thanks for coming out.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I wouldn't be able to make a living in Calgary without O&G. I'd be screwed if it tanks. But facts are facts.

I won't argue with you that SAGD is one of the most efficient options. Too bad it only accounts for only between 1% and 10% of total bitumen production. Cyclic steam or mined bitumen will never see that kind of efficiency. And is your efficiency really 95%? How much of that is waterflood from acquifers? How can you realistically expect water (or even natural gas) with its high mobility and low viscosity inside a low permeability bitumen reservoir to have 95% recovery?
    We don't have bitumen Reservoirs per say. There is a "strip" of tar in the ground we focus on. Our wells are 75M deep and 300m from the heel to the toe. We have to "make" our own cavern by heating the formation with steam. Our well start ups take months. Down hole pressure brings the bitumen back up and the heat seperates it from the earth (sand). We should take this to Pm's actually I'd be more than happy to go into more detail.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Cyclic steam or mined bitumen will never see that kind of efficiency. And is your efficiency really 95%? How much of that is waterflood from acquifers? How can you realistically expect water (or even natural gas) with its high mobility and low viscosity inside a low permeability bitumen reservoir to have 95% recovery?
    Apparently your education at UoC isn't really working.

I specifically said SAGD you fucktard. BTW, I am directly involved in SAGD projects and 90% of the water is recycled. Thanks for coming out.
    And if you read my initial post, you'd see that I was talking about oil sands in general instead of very small portion of the oil sands. Thank you for coming out.

Apparently your education at UoC isn't really working.
    I just read what I wrote about the acquifers and was out to lunch. I should've reread that before hitting submit. Generally the waterfloods are used for conventional oil and have nothing to do with oil sands. But the idea is still the same - water being the most mobile fluid means you won't be able to recycle all of it.

This whole discussion on SAGD is sidetracked from my original intent of explaining how much water is used to produce oil from the oil sands. SAGD may be a water efficient method but it still is only about 5% of oil sands production. What about the water efficiency of the other 95% of oil sands production?

Way to resort to personal insults in such a casual discussion. Going through a rough patch in life?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast