Quantcast
Interesting Facts...if they are real!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Facts...if they are real!!

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Default Interesting Facts...if they are real!!

(1) More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.
    (2) More people are killed each year by coconuts than sharks. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.
    (3) You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.
    (4) Fleas have the distinction of killing more people than all the wars man has ever fought. The "Black Death" plague killed 1/4 of Europe's population in the 14th century, caused by germs transmitted from rodents to humans by fleas.
    (5) The animal responsible for the most human deaths worldwide is the mosquito.
    (6) The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.
    (7) A hundred years ago, the average life expectancy in the United States was forty-seven.
    (8) Today, only one in two billion people will live to be 116 or older.
    (9) Your statistical chance of being murdered is 1 in 20,000.
    (10) There are 5 times as many deaths due to the negligence of doctors as there are deaths due to firearms.
    (11) On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
    (12) Robert Hershey, of Hershey Chocolate fame, died when he fell into a vat of chocolate and drowned.
    (13) Dr. Alice Chase, who wrote "Nutrition for Health" and numerous books on the science of proper eating, died of malnutrition.
    (14) Adolph Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.
    (15) When Mahatma Gandhi died, an autopsy revealed that his small intestine contained five gold Krugerrands.
    (16) When Thomas Edison died in 1941; Henry Ford captured his last dying breath in a bottle.
    (17) In 1845, President Andrew Jackson's pet parrot was removed from his funeral for swearing.
    (18) Robert Todd Lincoln, son of Abraham Lincoln, was present at the assassinations of three presidents: his father's, President Garfield's, and President McKinley's. After the last shooting, he refused ever to attend a state affair again.
    (19) When Mark Twain was born on Nov 30, 1835, Halley's comet was visible over Florida, Missouri. Mark Twain predicted in 1909 that he would die when it returned. He was right. When he died on April 21, 1910, Halley's comet was once again visible in the sky.

My Ride
    GTI

Checked 12 since I didn't believe some of them. There is no Robert Hershey of Hershey Chocolate fame. I'm sure most of them, if not all are fake.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

http://paranormal.suite101.com/blog....d_coincidences

n 1974, an employee named Robert C.H. Hershey died in an industrial accident at the Pepperidge Farm plant in Downington, Pennsylvania. He was killed when he fell into a vat of chocolate.

My Ride
    88' BMW 325i

(5) The animal responsible for the most human deaths worldwide is the mosquito.
    A mosquito, although probably responsible for millions of deaths involving malaria is not an animal. Based on the fact that whoever wrote this thought it was an animal I would think the rest of them are all BS

What is it, a plant? Try checking a biology textbook or the interweb.

Originally posted by Mo Squared

A mosquito, although probably responsible for millions of deaths involving malaria is not an animal. Based on the fact that whoever wrote this thought it was an animal I would think the rest of them are all BS

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

^lol

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 06:06 PM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by E36M3
    What is it, a plant? Try checking a biology textbook or the interweb.

i believe the "it" he implied in the second sentence was malaria
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

The quote isn't too hard to follow (although maybe it was very poorly communicated). What I was responding to was:

A mosquito, although probably responsible for millions of deaths involving malaria is not an animal.

There is no "it" in the sentence.

Originally posted by finboy

i believe the "it" he implied in the second sentence was malaria

My Ride
    All white 2003 Nikes

yeah son.. that joint 'bout the mantis ain't true neither.
    Black men walkin' wit' white girls on they arms
    I be mad at 'em, as if I know they moms
    told t' go beyond tha surface a person's a person
    when we, lessen our women, our condition seem t' worsen
    Common - Real People

George Bush does not care about black people - Kanye West

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Originally posted by old&slow
    http://paranormal.suite101.com/blog....d_coincidences

n 1974, an employee named Robert C.H. Hershey died in an industrial accident at the Pepperidge Farm plant in Downington, Pennsylvania. He was killed when he fell into a vat of chocolate.
    Wow great source! what was the source of your OP, [email protected]??

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

^Dont call me cutesy!

^LOL
    I found a video about the praying mantis thing. Kinda cool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYp_Xi4AtAQ

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

My Ride
    1098S

It is an animal, I think what you meant was that it isn't a mammal
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.

My Ride
    All white 2003 Nikes

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.
    I'm say it ain't true cause they could get off wit they's head on.
    Black men walkin' wit' white girls on they arms
    I be mad at 'em, as if I know they moms
    told t' go beyond tha surface a person's a person
    when we, lessen our women, our condition seem t' worsen
    Common - Real People

George Bush does not care about black people - Kanye West

My Ride
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350

Default Re: Interesting Facts...if they are real!!

Originally posted by old&slow

(9) Your statistical chance of being murdered is 1 in 20,000.
    (10) There are 5 times as many deaths due to the negligence of doctors as there are deaths due to firearms.
    They haven't been in the NE or forrest lawn, have they?
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4Matic
    2009 Smart ForTwo "Passion"

16) thomas edison died in 1931, not 1941

I'd be sceptical about the others since "30% of all statistics are made up"

Heres some from Top Fuel, They've likely been posted before, but are always cool to read:

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow. (Is this phantom knock? )

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load... but the redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)
    0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)
    6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)
    6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin 'chutes at 300 MPH
    An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle one arth . . quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.420 seconds for the quarter-mile (2004, Doug Kalitta). The top speed record is 337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66' of the run (2005, Tony Schumacher).

Putting this all into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

(Try to picture this from the Vette's rearview mirror; you pass a still object while traveling 200mph...which would just be a blip. About 4.3 seconds later, the "blip" is passing you at 300mph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast