Quantcast
Car Starter Istall @ FS - 2007 Altima - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Starter Istall @ FS - 2007 Altima

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Car Starter Istall @ FS - 2007 Altima

Hey Guys,

My GF bought a Nordic Start car starter from Future Shop back in December that came with free installation.

So she goes into FS and sets up an appointment for the install and after she takes a day off work and goes to drop off the car they tell her that they made a mistake and thought that the car was really a 2006 model and now there is going to be another 250 dollar charge for the install.

I'm thinking this is crap so I did some research.
    I realize that there are some security systems on the altima that need to be bypassed etc, and that this takes longer. But I also feel like this should have been explained to my GF when she bought the car starter as it even says ont eh receipt that it includes the installation.

So anyways, I called NIssan and asked them about a car starter. They started telling me horror stories of people having it done at FS and Visions etc, where thousands of dollars in damage had been done to the ignition system and other electronics due to the hack jobs done by the installers. NIssan also told me that the warranty would be voided if any wires were cut or spliced into.

So.... I call FS to see if they can stop the install but they are already 'well into it'. OK fine. The guy said that they arent going to cut any wires and that the warranty wont be voided.

They started working on the car around noon, apparently had 2 guys on it, and they didn't finish (or bother calling at least) until 10 minutes before 9 pm when FS is closed. Leaving just enough time for my GF NOT to get there before the store closes to pick up teh car.

They also let her know that they have never done an install on this car before...

So shes going to grab the car today, I havent heard anything yet as its still early int he morning and im out at work.

Should we be worried about the car?

Has anyone else had experiences with car starters and new altimas?

Thanks for the advices
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    78 civic

I wouldn't let these places touch my cars. I've seen some pretty brutal installs.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Having torn apart and fixed plently of FS installs, they can be a nightmare. You might get a good one, who knows. You get what you pay for.

Also, Nissan can't void your warranty for this either, unless they can prove that the install directly caused the failure of the item in question.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I've let FS install my stereo/amp 9 years back when they were still hireing straight outta high school kids...installer kept blowing up my amp and ended up fucking up my vechicles electronics...
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    NC1

It does not take 9 hours to do an alarm install.

Should you be worried? You come across as being worried already. Don't sweat it until you start having problems with the unit.

Next time support our sponsors. SpeedTech has done tonnes of alarm installs for Beyond members.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by 78si
    I wouldn't let these places touch my cars. I've seen some pretty brutal installs.
    +1. The average age of installers at places like these is probably 18.

It's luck of the draw when you go to places like that. There are some guys that are really good at it, but they're few and far between.

If you have time to spare, I suggest doing it yourself. It's really not that hard.

My Ride
    German

Sorry but you really should have done more research before allowing places like FS to work on your car. There is not much you can do now since they've already started the job so just keep your fingers crossed and hope that nothing will malfunction after the install. Until you actually get the car back you're just stressing yourself out right now so try to take it easy because not all installs done by FS end in horror... but most do.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

well frick

Had I known that an auto car starter would be so complicated I would have researched, but like i mentioned this is for the GFs car and she bought it on her own

I'm doing research from the oilfield lol

Anyways, I guess she got the car back today and she has no complaints.

The guys at FS said that the warranty is not voided and that they didnt cut or "splice" any wires, they just soldered them.

How soldering is better than cutting or splicing im not sure, but technically i guess hes right

If anything bad happens with the install (hopefully it doesnt) I will post here again

Thanks for the advices!
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    German

Good to hear, glad everything turned out alright.

First its illegal for a manufactur to void your warranty unless its cleary stated in a contract and they have told you, the only car compaines that do this so far is BMW some audi's Newer Mercedes and some newer v dubs. also installers give have to provide warranty on the work done. Visions(where i work) gives you life time warranty on the install.

2007 altima is not a hard car to work on for a starter my installers could do a starter in that car in 2 hours.

i have been selling car staters for 3 years and i have seen some problems, mostly on bmw's in the 96-01's but i have also seen the problem get fixed.

consumers need to understand that modules are needed to integrate the factory imbolizer in the starter which is an extra charge its never inbluded in a "basic install". 2001 and up is where you can see imbolizers being put into cars unless its a gm where passlocks systems were put it at about 1996 and up.

again just my 2 cents

if you want a starter done on the car PM and i can give you a price on the install if FS didnt finish it.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Soldering = splice. You strip the insulation and twist the wires together, then solder. That's a splice.
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

^ ya, you have to get to the wire somehow, that would mean cutting the wire or insulation and soldering another wire onto it.

if you have any ignition or electrical problems in the future, nissan might just say to return to place of installment if the wiring job looks like a rat's nest (i.e: FS quality), and i don't see FS saying ya bring down your altima, we will diagnose/clear codes/fix your electrical problems

a 2007 Altima doesn't have a factory car starter as an accessory option?? that would be ideal, then the dealership must diagnose/troubleshoot if there are any problems when starting the car.

and as for the person at future shop telling you the status of your vehicle's warranty regarding the soldering, who the hell is he/she to determine if it voids or doesnt
    Last edited by n1zm0; 02-17-2008 at 06:52 PM.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by n1zm0
    ^ ya, you have to get to the wire somehow, that would mean cutting the wire or insulation and soldering another wire onto it.

if you have any ignition or electrical problems in the future, nissan might just say to return to place of installment if the wiring job looks like a rat's nest (i.e: FS quality), and i don't see FS saying ya bring down your altima, we will diagnose/clear codes/fix your electrical problems

a 2007 Altima doesn't have a factory car starter as an accessory option?? that would be ideal, then the dealership must diagnose/troubleshoot if there are any problems when starting the car.

and as for the person at future shop telling you the status of your vehicle's warranty regarding the soldering, who the hell is he/she to determine if it voids or doesnt

Yeah...

Im thinking in my head that these guys are a bunch of goofballs

But so far everything is working fine. I need to sit in the car and check everything out myself of course (gf isnt the most technically inclined person) for my peace of mind.

And there is no factory option, i checked with Nissan about that. The dealership referred me to A&R? Apparently A&R does all of their installs and their work is warranty approved.

I never actually talked to A&R about the price but he Nissan guy said it would be around 700 dollars and take a few hours.

My Ride
    HPI Savage X w/mach 4 engine

it shouldn't have taken FS 9 hours to do a simple start install, it shouldn't take anymore then 2/2.5 hours at most. For that sametime I could have had 3 alarms and starters done by one of our sponsers for that time. I wouldn't worry about it until something starts to cause problems. The other posters are right they can't void your warrenty unless its the start itself that causes the problem. That place that Nissan recommended you to seems to be a bit pricy, I think that 700 dollar price tag is for alarm and starter. You can get an alarm and starter done at speedtech for 600.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

yes, we send alot of people to a place called ARA (dunno if its the same one, near henninger toyota) for our customers who are out of warranty or for our used cars or audio systems we can't fix or dont have time to fix, they can fix your stock radio way cheaper than the dealership will cost (without warranty) and their installs are approved by my dealership, dunno why they just are, i think volvo used to send their stuff there too.

Have you ever installed a car starter before? the more time you take, the better it looks. 3 hours min. We aren't taking civics, or dodge neons..

Have you had a look at the tech sheet for the 2007 Altima? I would want to take my time when dealing with Canbus.

If your installers can do an Nissan Altima 07/08 in 2 hours I'd like to see the quality of that install.

9 hours is a little excessive, but your car works, so i wouldn't sweat it..

Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
    it shouldn't have taken FS 9 hours to do a simple start install, it shouldn't take anymore then 2/2.5 hours at most. For that sametime I could have had 3 alarms and starters done by one of our sponsers for that time. I wouldn't worry about it until something starts to cause problems. The other posters are right they can't void your warrenty unless its the start itself that causes the problem. That place that Nissan recommended you to seems to be a bit pricy, I think that 700 dollar price tag is for alarm and starter. You can get an alarm and starter done at speedtech for 600.
    Last edited by silvercivicsir; 02-17-2008 at 09:36 PM.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

3 hours is about right for the Altima. Almost no manufacturers offer a factory remote start. The reason? The remote would be limited to the range of the keyless entry, and they don't want that to work from more than about 25 feet away.

The $700 tag is, for an alarm/starter combo, about right for a dealer referral. The Speedtech guys also do a fantastic job and the lower price might reflect a less inflated shop price.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I had mine installed @ visions. Parents payed for it as an xmas gift. I got a Nustart (read: compustar) starter/alarm. Actually one of the members on here sold it to me. EK9max.

Mine cost ~700. It was removal of old one, standard transmission car, using aftermarket power locks that were installed with old alarm, and the starter/remote entry.

But I would deff go w/ STRD next time, heard nothing but good stuff about them.

ARA were the guys who I had to take my deck to when it was under warantee by soundsaround. They deal w/ all their installs/repairs.

I also know that they're the approved guys by the GMC dealer on blackfoot, the one that sells Hummers I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    WRB WRX

It's not the shop- at all. Its the person who is doing it.

Personally, i had my A/S compustar put in at speedtech 2 years ago, now that I do this for a living I cant beleive the lack of quality from them. It was t-tapped, not soldered, not prepped at all, and barely zip tied.

Do I blame STRD? Absolutly not. I blame the installer. It all depends who works on your vehicle, since everyone at one shop doesn't do the same install.

As far as 2 hours for a can system on a newer nissan, are you joking?

12volts green (40A) + ignition harness
    Starter black/red + ignition harness
    Second Starter black/yellow + ignition harness
    Ignition black/red + ignition harness
    Second Ignition N/A
    Third Ignition N/A
    Accessory red + ignition harness
    Second Accessory white/blue + ignition harness
    Keysense black/red + ignition harness or BCM, pin 37
    Power Lock brown - BCM to right of fuse box, pin 45
    Notes: These wires are only available on vehicles with left front only power window anti-pinch system. On vehicles with left AND right front power window anti-pinch system, use the factory alarm arm and disarm wires for door locks.
    Power Unlock pink - BCM to right of fuse box, pin 46
    Notes: These wires are only available on vehicles with left front only power window anti-pinch system. On vehicles with left AND right front power window anti-pinch system, use the factory alarm arm and disarm wires for door locks.
    Lock Motor yellow/red 5wi BCM to right of fuse box, pin 65
    Unlock Motor green/white 5wi BCM to right of fuse box, pin 59
    Parking Lights+ red/blue + driver kick, harness to rear
    Parking Lights- N/A
    Hazards green/red - BCM to right of fuse box, pin 29
    Turn Signal(L) green/black + BCM to right of fuse box, pin 60
    Turn Signal(R) green/yellow + BCM to right of fuse box, pin 61
    Reverse Light green/white + driver kick, harness to rear
    Door Trigger see notes - BCM to right of fuse box
    Notes: The LF door is lt. blue in pin 47, RF door is pink/blue in pin 12, LR door is red/black in pin 48, and RR door is red/white in pin 13. Use all four wires and diode isolate each.
    Dome Supervision red - BCM to right of fuse box, pin 63
    Trunk/Hatch Pin purple/white - BCM to right of fuse box, pin 42
    Hood Pin N/A
    Trunk/Hatch Release red/black or blue/red - BCM to right of fuse box, pin 30
    Power Sliding Door N/A
    Factory Alarm Arm pink/blue - driver door module in door, pin 4
    Notes: Meter this wire while turning the key in the driver door key cylinder.

This wire will also lock the doors.

On vehicles with left front only power window anti-pinch system, this wire is found at the BCM to the right of the fuse box, pin 8.
    Factory Alarm Disarm white/blue - driver door module in door, pin 5
    Notes: Meter this wire while turning the key in the driver door key cylinder.

Single pulse on this wire will disarm the factory alarm, and double pulse will unlock the doors.

On vehicles with left front only power window anti-pinch system, this wire is found at the BCM to the right of the fuse box, pin 7.
    Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm
    Tachometer NOT red, pink, or black ac any ignition coil or fuel injector
    Wait to start N/A
    Brake Wire red/green + brake pedal switch
    Parking Brake green - parking brake switch
    Horn Trigger green/white - horn switch
    Memory Seat 1 N/A
    Memory Seat 2 N/A

http://www.idatalink.com/product/res...007&carid=4730

Hit guides, go to page 15/23, then tell me its a 2 hour starter. K?
    I am Ihatetowait and this is what I say ^

My Ride
    cts-v, 03 envoy

Actually it is. I do those altima's all the time, as well as the push button start ones.

And for reference they did need to cut the security led wire unless they used one of her keys to hide under the dash.

They can not void your warranty, look up the Magnuson act, It will explain everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast