Quantcast
Sikh motorcyclist in Ont. court fighting helmet law - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Sikh motorcyclist in Ont. court fighting helmet law

My Ride
    Axis powers

i swear, soon enough your going to see religious groups protesting the serving of alcohol in places because its available and tempting and against certain beliefs
    Sig nuked by mod.

Originally posted by adam c
    i swear, soon enough your going to see religious groups protesting the serving of alcohol in places because its available and tempting and against certain beliefs
    Those are called bible belts in the States.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by ekguy
    but we are an industrialized country where we recognize that wearing a helmet is safer. They can go back to Asia and the middle east where this fact is so obviously overlooked as being ridiculous haha.
    in the US, only 20 states require helmets for riding a motorcycle. is the US not an industrialized country?

My Ride
    S13 & Suzuki

fucking ridiculars

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by gpomp
    in the US, only 20 states require helmets for riding a motorcycle. is the US not an industrialized country?
    I looked at that actually... and states where helmets were once required, and now, no longer required, the death rate supposedly went up 30%. So, again, good news, saves tax payers money

I'm thinking of riding down to Sturgis this year... supposedly a cool show

this is complete bs

the reason you wear a seatbelt is to protect the others in the car from being injured from YOU flying around when you crash, and to protect yourself, and to save the taxpayers money.

a helmet protects us the taxpayers from idiots who crash their bikes

and I don't care what anyone says my ancestors founded this country and my ancestors fought for our freedom in the world wars. Don't come here and tell us what to do!

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Originally posted by kdwebber
    this is complete bs
    the reason you wear a seatbelt is to protect the others in the car from being injured from YOU flying around when you crash,
    Oh Rly?
    So you don't have to wear a seatbelt if you're alone?
    and to protect yourself,
    It's not the governments charge to protect me from myself.
    and to save the taxpayers money.
    Everyone I've seen arguing against helmet/seatbelt laws is also proposing that those who choose to neglect their well-being be denied tax-payer funded medical coverage.
    a helmet protects us the taxpayers from idiots who crash their bikes
    Yes yes, so goes you argument.
    Yet you've failed to provide any actual reasons why this assertion holds true, and you've ignored all the ideas and theories that cast reasonable and rational doubt on your allegations...

You see, you're arguing from an impossible position.
    If you argue that helmet laws are neccessary to preserve lives, then you must defend the position that we need the government to protect us from our own stupidity.
    If you're arguing that helmets decrease the drain on our public heathcare system, then your arguments are dismissed by the fact that everyone arguing the opposite is a proponent of denying tax-funded health coverage.

Of course, this has all been covered before, as you'd well know had you read the whole thread before posting...
    and I don't care what anyone says my ancestors founded this country and my ancestors fought for our freedom in the world wars. Don't come here and tell us what to do!
    If you're not going to read the whole thread, at least read my post on this subject. I think you'll find that this type of attitude has been addressed as well.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

Separation of Mosque and State Please.

Originally posted by Big Dangerous
    Sikhs don't go to Mosque's!! I know, because I am a Sikh
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    eg6 b16a2

i mean if allowed to wear a turban instead of a helmet let do so if it has more cushion i couldn't careless .... splat!!!! buahahhaa
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    V167

OMG You so funny!!!!!

Plz make more posts on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm quite surprised by the amount of ignorance on this board.

Firstly, I'm not going to take a strong position in this debate, however, as far as I understand there shouldn't be a problem for a sikh to wear a helmet. As a a result, I would support the main consensus on these boards.

However, I do have a bit of a problem with people talking about Sikhs moving to this country and trying to change the laws. First of all, almost all of my Sikh friends, (including myself) are born and raised in Calgary, CANADA!! Trust me, we're as Canadian as anyone else is. As for this whole "My ancestors fought for this country and in world war II" is obviously pretty stupid considering the Sikhs actually had their own regiment in the British army and fought in World War I and II.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't mind people stating why they believe in this case exceptions shouldn't be made. (In fact I actually agree with most). However, I take particular exception to people thinking that this country belongs to one group. The reality is, this country belongs to many people of different backgrounds. So lets stop with the whole "go back to your country" BS.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

Originally posted by TheOneAndOnly
    This horse has been dead for hours, kicking it has no meaning, since being Canadian means letting go of your religion (again the guy does'nt need to ride a bike, and that is not my arguement or care).

Being Canadian means letting go of your religion????

I try not be to opinionated on this forum for the reason that I deal with numerous beyonders on a professional level.

However, this has to be the stupidest statement of the year on Beyond.

You my friend FAIL at life!!!!!
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

WWEvo, read the rest of my posts. Try catching the rehotorics in my post.

My Ride
    J35Z2

damn..
    where the admins at?

are they all in vegas this time of year?... ( damn should have told me.. i was planning on going )

Nah jokes aside.

seriously this thread needs to be closed.
    LOL

Originally posted by R!zz0
    Sunny Leone

I would love to make her my Butter Chicken

I lol'ed and you gots the ban hammer.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    2000 Civic Si

Originally posted by DNSRadio
    i wear a turban
    and within the holy scriptures of sikhism

it does not state that he HAS to wear a turban.
    its an unwritten type of deal
    what it clearly states is that the hair on the head has to be covered at all times if the person is baptised.

i have buddies who have bikes , and i wear a helmet, basically all i do is in the summer i tie a bandana, and just have my hair loose within the bandana.

my head is covered by the bandana, and i am wearing a helmet to protect my head from the cement if i crash ( which i havnt yet * knock on wood* )

the guy out east chooses not to wear a helmet, then the law should choose to take away his bike license.... rules and regulations for road safty are there for a reason.

those my 2 cents
    i think hes just tryin to stir some shit up...

i am a sikh, and i also wear a turban. the comment posted above is false, our scriptures say that you must not cut your hair, and you must tie and cover your hair in a turban (gentleman only). if you don't wear a turban, you are not a sikh. plain and simple.

on the issue of the driver, i think that he is being a bit to extreme. he can very easily wear a smaller turban (patka) and cover his head with the helmet, then, remove the helmet and patka, and re-administer his turban. i think what the community is forgetting is that the helmet is a public health intervention designed to minimize brain injury and death from accidents.

being a sikh, i often wear a hat when i am doing laborious work, and i do not partake in acitivties that would not fit b/c of my turban and would be hazardous to my health. when i was young and playing novice hockey, i wore a healmet over my turban cus i didn;t want to smack my head against the ice and be a vegetable for the rest of my life.

i think the gentleman should respect the rules and attempt to wear a smaller turban, or, he should be aware of what the potential consequences may be, and ensure that society is not held accountable for what may occur.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

VWevo: As I've previously stated, while I don't agree with those saying "Go back to where you came from", it should be noted that there's more to being a "Canadian" than just being born here.

Believing in sky pixies or wearing special hats isn't uncanadian: what is uncanadian is thinking that those beliefs or hats exempt you from society's laws.

To anyone who wishes to reply:
    Before anyone gets all butt hurt and thinks I'm being a racist or a xenophobe, I'll reiterate:
    I haven't proposed deporting anyone, or that anyone doesn't belong here, or that anyone shouldn't be able to practice the rituals of their superstitions, etc.

Please keep that in mind before putting on your "bereaved victim" hat and posting a vitriolic reply that will be easily refuted on the grounds of poor reading comprehension.

P.S. Was Big Dangerous banned just for his "Mosque and State" joke? While I'm certainly not a fan of his, I don't see how that's a bannable offense. Perhaps someone would care to explain the severe indignity of that comment to me?
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    '05 Acura TL

403Gemini: I thought Canada was a mosaic and the melting pot was the neighbours down south...it must be the other way around then i guess
    Originally posted by edde
    its called sarcasim you fucking idiot

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast