Quantcast
How much do we drive every year? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much do we drive every year?

Default How much do we drive every year?

I am doing an assignment for one of my classes and I am finding it difficult to get some accurate data for the report.

Can anyone find, or does anyone happen to know the dependency of vehicles in Calgary alone.

More specifically:
    -What is the average daily km use of a vehicle in Calgary
    -Average Km put on a vehicle per year in Calgary.
    -The percentage of Calgarians who own vehicles/ do the driving

I have found all the other information I need, but these two seem to be harder to find.

The project is energy related where we are asked to calculate consumption and emissions of vehicles in Calgary.

If anyone finds these can you please post the information along with the link/source. I have not searched Wikipedia and do not plan to since this is not recognized as a valid source for post secondary education.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by LuxCars; 02-23-2008 at 02:35 AM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: How much do we drive every year?

Originally posted by LuxCars
    If anyone finds these can you please post the information along with the link/source. I have not searched Wikipedia and do not plan to since this is not recognized as a valid source for post secondary education.
    LOL that's some pompous bullshit right there. I bet you're an MRC student too haha.

Realistically, all the smart undergrads use Wikipedia, because it's a fairly quick resource that's good enough for assignments. It's only when you do REAL research in grad studies or honours programs that you truly need to worry about the credibility of your sources.

And btw, Wikipedia lists their sources at the bottom of every article. But if you want to do it the old fashioned way, step into a library and have an MLS help you.

find average amount of km's driven in a year, which I imagine isn't a statistic too difficult to find, then divide by 365.

My Ride
    09 wrx265

I average 200-300km a week
    so the minimum I drive a year has to be atleast around 10,000 km

to and from my work I drive 40km/day
    then I say I put 100kms/week on other then that

the year before last I put on 80,000 kms. but that was 250/day just to and from work

Default Re: Re: How much do we drive every year?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    LOL that's some pompous bullshit right there. I bet you're an MRC student too haha.

Realistically, all the smart undergrads use Wikipedia, because it's a fairly quick resource that's good enough for assignments. It's only when you do REAL research in grad studies or honours programs that you truly need to worry about the credibility of your sources.

And btw, Wikipedia lists their sources at the bottom of every article. But if you want to do it the old fashioned way, step into a library and have an MLS help you.

Yea, re-reading that makes it sound kind of pompous. Sorry about that. But no, I am a UofC engineering student in the new energy and Environment specialization and we are working on a term assignment.
    We got specific instructions not to use Wikipedia, and if you ask most professors they don't support it.

I did not know that they list their sources at the bottom of the page, ill give it a look but i doubt they have specific information for Calgary alone.

and buh_buh, i've already done that. This is why i turned to you guys for help because i personally thought it would be fairly straight forward to find, but i couldn't find it on stats Canada, and i also did a google search, as well as a google scholar search with no luck.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Some of the better composed Wikipedia articles will have a full list or citations and references on the bottom of the page. I usually use it as a starting point for a lot of my research for work & school.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Also, did you try searching the StatCan website or getting in touch with the City of Calgary Traffic (or whatever it is called) Department? The Traffic Engineers there will likely have that data.

I did try statCan and couldn't find anything, i was really surprised actually. But i'm sure its more due to my incapability of searching the site properly.

If anyone is interested I found my information from the Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation website, as well as the Alberta Motor Associations website.

About 500km in 2weeks

My Ride
    K20A2

I would say 400km every 1.5 weeks

Cheers
    Built with Chopsticks

Default Re: Re: Re: How much do we drive every year?

Originally posted by LuxCars
    We got specific instructions not to use Wikipedia, and if you ask most professors they don't support it.
    Many professors (Who aren't 90) accept Wikipedia. I never understood why they wouldn't...Is it too simple and easy while giving you plenty of good information?

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How much do we drive every year?

Originally posted by arian_ma

Many professors (Who aren't 90) accept Wikipedia. I never understood why they wouldn't...Is it too simple and easy while giving you plenty of good information?

Or is it because everyone can edit the page and its not a trustworthy source. You can't prove what is true or false.

Wikipedia itself states that their website is not a definite source and that you have to be careful with it. Its not an authoritative source and should not be used at the university level.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How much do we drive every year?

Originally posted by arian_ma

mmm not so sure about that. Five years of university and I haven't come across a professor that will allow you to directly cite a Wikipedia article as a reference for an academic paper - it simply isn't a credible enough source. Journal articles have been peer-reviewed and are subject to editorial control, Wikipedia is not.

I've had professors advise us to use it as a starting point. A lot of the articles covering more academic topics will have links to proper reference sources (such as journal articles), which by using you are almost indirectly citing a Wikipedia article, but not directly.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wikipedia and use it extensively. But there is no way it's ever going to become an accepted academic reference. I view it as more of an aggregator for proper sources.
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 02-24-2008 at 12:19 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Why are you guys telling him how many km's you drive? If he can't use wikipedia, he sure the hell can't use a beyond thread as reference .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I spend between an hour and 2 hours [25kms] a day in my car, on a normal weekday.

Not sure what's funnier, the guy asking for how to do research or the guys literally answering his research question? Or maybe the girl answering the question after Rage2 already pointed it out...

Originally posted by szw
    Not sure what's funnier, the guy asking for how to do research or the guys literally answering his research question? Or maybe the girl answering the question after Rage2 already pointed it out...

dude get off your high horse

I'm sure insurance companies have a good idea of all this stuff. Maybe call up your broker and ask if they have any data that you can use.

My Ride
    RX300

Originally posted by ashee
    I spend between an hour and 2 hours [25kms] a day in my car, on a normal weekday.

you drive fukin slow
    trying is the first step towards failure

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast