Quantcast
9th Avenue - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: 9th Avenue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    0

    Default 9th Avenue

    I was late for a super important appointment today because of freaking 9th avenue, and its terrible drivers.

    2 things:
    1. When it says "2 right lanes closed ahead", don't jump into those 2 right lanes just to try to push ahead. I had like 10 people do this. There's no way you're being let in, so wait in the damn line like everyone else. The offenders in this case are too many to name, but my favourite would have to be the Grand Cherokee which was right behind us. It moved into the 2 barren right lanes (because some people actually think ahead and move into the left lanes), went up 2 cars, and budged in without a signal. That's a pathetic advantage.

    2. Use your damn signals! Seriously, if you're making a lane change, let the people behind you know so they can slow down to let you in. Don't just move the wheel and expect everyone behind you to know what you're on about. It's even worse when the car is moving over 3 lanes. The winner here would be the 40(ish) year old woman in the black Civic who kept weaving through lanes of traffic without a signal. Back and forth. And repeat.

    Anybody been down this hellhole recently?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    06 S2000
    Posts
    4,838
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I took an advanced road test down there this morning.

    I got honked at for going the limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    is Turbocharged.
    Posts
    369
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    yeah i went there today after work

    saw an audi r8 parked... it was sick

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,691
    Rep Power
    13

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive
    Posts
    1,965
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: 9th Avenue

    Originally posted by nich148_9
    I was late for a super important appointment today because of freaking 9th avenue, and its terrible drivers.

    2 things:
    1. When it says "2 right lanes closed ahead", don't jump into those 2 right lanes just to try to push ahead. I had like 10 people do this. There's no way you're being let in, so wait in the damn line like everyone else. The offenders in this case are too many to name, but my favourite would have to be the Grand Cherokee which was right behind us. It moved into the 2 barren right lanes (because some people actually think ahead and move into the left lanes), went up 2 cars, and budged in without a signal. That's a pathetic advantage.

    2. Use your damn signals! Seriously, if you're making a lane change, let the people behind you know so they can slow down to let you in. Don't just move the wheel and expect everyone behind you to know what you're on about. It's even worse when the car is moving over 3 lanes. The winner here would be the 40(ish) year old woman in the black Civic who kept weaving through lanes of traffic without a signal. Back and forth. And repeat.

    Anybody been down this hellhole recently?
    This is wishful thinking man. I remeber a few weeks ago there was construction on both sides of 9th ave between 2nd Street and First street. How the fuck is that allowed? You take a four lane road, and they took it down to two lanes. This city has some fucked up ideas. Not to mention they took out an entire parkade to build that building across from the old post office.
    Last edited by dino_martini; 02-24-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Horse
    Posts
    517
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I didn't know signals were equipped on most vehicles sold in calgary.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,717
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    You gotta drive like an asshole to get anywhere. Wait in line? Who does that?

    As for signalling, every driver is an asshole in Calgary. Signal in rush hour and the guy will just accelerate to not let you in. Everyone wants to get somewhere fast, and you're not gonna get anywhere. It's pretty much required to make the lane change THEN signal halfway thru your change (to not get a ticket). Otherwise, you're going nowhere.

    People drive so stupid in this city you have to be more agressive than defensive to get anywhere. If I don't have to go anywhere, I'll sit back and relax and wait it out. Otherwise, it's every driver for themselves.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TX
    My Ride
    Camaro 2SS
    Posts
    1,435
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Almost as bad as the people trying to budge line are the people that enable and encourage that behavior by letting them in.

    I take 20th Ave. N to and from the University and it just roast my balls when people pull up to the lights in the right lane at the lights and try to cut their way ahead of traffic that is going forward in the left lane. It accomplishes nothing (unless someone is actually turning left) except a potential accident and it doesn't get them where they are going any faster. It just lets them travel at the same speed down the road, just four places ahead of where they were originally.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,717
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Ya, but those 4 places ahead *might* get you ahead of a lightchange, which is worth 6 mins on average. That's an extra full song that I can can play on Rock Band! Every second counts!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    It's right by my work, sucks when I drive to work and have to get out of the parkade, no one wants to let you in because they already have so much angst towards the people who didn't read the 2right lanes closed ahead signs.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TX
    My Ride
    Camaro 2SS
    Posts
    1,435
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, but those 4 places ahead *might* get you ahead of a lightchange, which is worth 6 mins on average. That's an extra full song that I can can play on Rock Band! Every second counts!
    Haha, it's people like you...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I don't know about 9th ave but it's not uncommon for the sign to be obscured from view if you're in a car and there is a truck or SUV in front. So you think what the hell, why is everyone too retarded to use the other lane (because that happens a lot too), so you move over and then see the signs and figure it out. I've done that

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cowtown
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    This is a great STREET ENCOUNTER, go post this useless POS info in the "people you wanna slap or kill" thread.

    Street Encounters
    Anything exciting happen on the street? Share!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AB
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by white90
    This is a great STREET ENCOUNTER, go post this useless POS info in the "people you wanna slap or kill" thread.

    Street Encounters
    Anything exciting happen on the street? Share!
    which returning banned member are u?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TX
    My Ride
    Camaro 2SS
    Posts
    1,435
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally posted by white90
    This is a great STREET ENCOUNTER, go post this useless POS info in the "people you wanna slap or kill" thread.

    Street Encounters
    Anything exciting happen on the street? Share!
    Thanks guy.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    425
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 9th Avenue

    Originally posted by nich148_9
    I was late for a super important appointment today because of freaking 9th avenue, and its terrible drivers.

    2 things:
    1. When it says "2 right lanes closed ahead", don't jump into those 2 right lanes just to try to push ahead. I had like 10 people do this. There's no way you're being let in, so wait in the damn line like everyone else. The offenders in this case are too many to name, but my favourite would have to be the Grand Cherokee which was right behind us. It moved into the 2 barren right lanes (because some people actually think ahead and move into the left lanes), went up 2 cars, and budged in without a signal. That's a pathetic advantage.

    2. Use your damn signals! Seriously, if you're making a lane change, let the people behind you know so they can slow down to let you in. Don't just move the wheel and expect everyone behind you to know what you're on about. It's even worse when the car is moving over 3 lanes. The winner here would be the 40(ish) year old woman in the black Civic who kept weaving through lanes of traffic without a signal. Back and forth. And repeat.

    Anybody been down this hellhole recently?
    And this is something new to you? wow!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    758
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, but those 4 places ahead *might* get you ahead of a lightchange, which is worth 6 mins on average. That's an extra full song that I can can play on Rock Band! Every second counts!
    I agreed, getting ahead on a light change is what I usually strive for, BUT it ain't gonna save you 6 min., considering the maximum signal lengths in Calgary is around 150 seconds... so it saves you two and half minutes maximum.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    5,391
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by rage2
    You gotta drive like an asshole to get anywhere. Wait in line? Who does that?

    As for signalling, every driver is an asshole in Calgary. Signal in rush hour and the guy will just accelerate to not let you in. Everyone wants to get somewhere fast, and you're not gonna get anywhere. It's pretty much required to make the lane change THEN signal halfway thru your change (to not get a ticket). Otherwise, you're going nowhere.

    People drive so stupid in this city you have to be more agressive than defensive to get anywhere. If I don't have to go anywhere, I'll sit back and relax and wait it out. Otherwise, it's every driver for themselves.
    Exactly.



    OP, are you new here? It's just common sense to drive like that- Hug the closed lanes because they always move faster. Somebody ALWAYS lets you in at the end.

    This shouldn't even be an issue - in any other major city this happens normally and people don't get all uptight about it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    oreo cookie
    My Ride
    a wrx.
    Posts
    8,024
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I always ride the ending lane to the end. There are a few tricks:

    1. time it so that you cut back in as the packed lane is reaccelerating from a stop. This opens up gaps between the drivers who would otherwise not let you in.

    2. prey on the weak women and seniors. Follow step 1 above, but try to spot a granny caboose or some beat Corolla driven by an immigrant woman, because those drivers are always slow to respond to traffic changes and they'll leave a bigger gap for you.

    3. if all lanes of traffic are stopped and even if there isn't enough of a gap for your car to fit in, just wedge yourself in enough so that the person behind can't do anything.

    4. Do not signal in advance, that's just a courtesy thing, and because assholes will try to counter-asshole your asshole-driving by not letting you in. Just signal as you turn in, which is a safety thing. Safety is important, courtesy not so much, especially if you're running late.

    5. Finally, remember to always wave a thank-you to the driver who so graciously let you in.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    06 S2000
    Posts
    4,838
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by cloud7


    I agreed, getting ahead on a light change is what I usually strive for, BUT it ain't gonna save you 6 min., considering the maximum signal lengths in Calgary is around 150 seconds... so it saves you two and half minutes maximum.
    But getting that one light, will most likely let you get through the next one... It builds up man... If I can make that one light, I can usually end up about 10 mins earlier than the other guys.

    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    2. prey on the weak women and seniors. Follow step 1 above, but try to spot a granny caboose or some beat Corolla driven by an immigrant woman, because those drivers are always slow to respond to traffic changes and they'll leave a bigger gap for you.
    The mini-van moms are touch and go... Some are slow... some are even more assholish... But good advice nonetheless... I never let anyone in... ever hahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 16th Avenue indoor go-kart (grand prix)

    By GSR Zero in forum General
    Replies: 40
    Latest Threads: 11-20-2005, 06:54 PM
  2. 7th Avenue last night?

    By 3G in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 02-18-2005, 08:20 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Latest Threads: 09-08-2004, 09:01 PM
  4. Hit and Run 6th avenue 15th Street

    By atomic in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 05-19-2004, 05:52 PM
  5. 7th Avenue?

    By 3G in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 25
    Latest Threads: 12-22-2003, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •