Quantcast
how does one become an elementary school teacher? what is the salary and benefits lik - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how does one become an elementary school teacher? what is the salary and benefits lik

Default how does one become an elementary school teacher? what is the salary and benefits lik

anyone know?

My Ride

I kid -- but i'm pretty sure you'll need a Bachelors of Education.

My sister in law is a teacher in Airdrie, i thinkstarting is high 30's or low 40's and, i'm not sure about this, but they top out at around 75k for the most senior teachers?

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/employment/teac...salarygrid.pdf

with a 4 year degree you'll start at about 45

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

They no longer offer the 4 year b.ed but that is what both my parents have, and they teach elementary for Rocky View. My GF is doing the new route right now, you need a degree in something, then apply to the masters of education program.

As for pay, you are unionized so check out the ATA website for a pay scale. At the 10 year level is when you level out.

here is the link for the collective barganing agreement for Rocky View

http://www.teachers.ab.ca/Salary+and...+-+2009%29.htm

edit: I tried copying the salary table and it comes out awful so roughly for this school year with your 6 years of education and 0 teaching you would get $52,644, at 4/5 you get $63,500, and at 11 year (the first year is only half a step so really 10.5 years)$80,284
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 02-28-2008 at 11:38 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

My GF is an elementary school teacher. Benefits are ok and your salary is dependant on your number of years of education and years of service.
    Last edited by USED1; 02-28-2008 at 11:38 AM.

My Ride
    nissan

my girlfriend is a 1st yr teacher, this is what i know.

get a bachelor of education, then you will have to fight and scrape to get a contract- during this time you will likely have to sub and wait tables to feed yourself.

- the pay is shit if you look at it from a time spent/money received point of view. on top of class time there is hours a day in planning and prep work, plus all the bs volunteer crap they expect you to do ( running clubs, art clubs.....etc)

-only do it if it is your dream and passion, otherwise you will be dissapointed- like my gf

get a business degree if your going to spend 4 yrs in university, you will work less make more and not have to deal with .........(the things some dont consider)

o yeah summers off...sounds like a good idea, but how good is to have 2 months off when you can barely afford to pay rent or own a car. have fun traveling and living off that salary. like i said if it is not your #1 passion you will be disappointed.

ed seems like a back up plan for many people who end up there, that is not the attitude you need- this is a hard job with low pay- if you can deal with that then giver.

all of this may seem horribly negative but i am around this all the time and truly the first yr teacher i know wishes that her degree prepared her more for what was in store and she wishes she would have heard the real accounts of teachers rather than wannabe housewives praising how great the kids are and summers off, they seem to neglect the whole getting treated like a slave until you have a contract so that then you can make new teachers the new slaves.

only do it if it was your life dream!!!
    /end rant

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by picmerollin

only do it if it was your life dream!!!
    +1

how does one become an elementary school teacher? what is the salary and benefits lik quote:

anyone know
    The fact you are asking, kind of indicates it's not your life dream, so I'd look elsewhere. My mother-in-law was an elementary school teacher for 30+ years. It WAS her dream job, she got sick of it after 10. She loved the kids, but I guess there's a whole lot of BS between the teachers (at her school at least)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

PM Sorath.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

benifits? strikes every 3-4 years

volunteer for clubs....what schools have clubs these days?

My kids school offere nothing before or after school. That is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

You also have to remember they get the summers off that is a huge perk if you are planning on your own children. You will almost always have their holiday off, except for teachers convention....which we all know is a crock.

i agree, only do if its your life dream.
    The pay is not worth it.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by 2002civic
    benifits? strikes every 3-4 years
    My mother-in-law is a teacher and she loves the strikes. She was upset they didn't get to strike this winter because she wanted to go on a trip somewhere warm for a few weeks and as a teacher you never get that opportunity. lol

Anyway, I could never do it for any amount of money. I remember when I graduated school 10+ years ago and the job market wasn't as good the teachers were actually starting at really good wages and the guaranteed raises seemed great. Now I just think the people that I knew that went into education are now at only about 70-80k and will be stuck there. Aside from the 2 months off in the summer I am sure my job is easier and makes way more.

So like was mentioned above, only do it if you love it. My mother-in-law actually loves it and has no regrets which is great to know there are teachers like that.

My Ride
    NC1

My gf is finishing up year 1 at U of C in the French program. You DO NOT do it for the money. The amount of work that is involved and the things she tells me about her gr.1 class would drive any of you guys crazy. Even the teacher said she has never seen such a group of rascals in her 30 years of teaching haha

Aside from that, she is really excelling in her program. I'm trying to get her to do her Masters and pursue other options instead of teaching.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Kritafo
    volunteer for clubs....what schools have clubs these days?

My kids school offere nothing before or after school. That is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

You also have to remember they get the summers off that is a huge perk if you are planning on your own children. You will almost always have their holiday off, except for teachers convention....which we all know is a crock.
    Views of the typical parent. The teachers are never doing enough. You're a stay at home mom. Do a better job taking care of your kids.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

My wife has a degree in music and education and makes between $65 - 70K as an elementary music teacher. There's pro's and con's. There are alot more poorly behaved childeren compared to when even you were young and it's getting worse now that childeren can't be disciplined so you need alot of patience. You get about 4 months total off in the year but from Sept - July there is alot of hours to be put in after school hours doing report cards or organizing your classes, etc. You have to actually like kids as your career will revolve around them.

Alot of people I know went into it because they thought it would be easy and for the summers off but some of them couldn't handle it.

edit: My wife actually makes $73K/year. I guess I should be on top of those things lol.
    Last edited by heavyD; 02-29-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Originally posted by max_boost

Views of the typical parent. The teachers are never doing enough. You're a stay at home mom. Do a better job taking care of your kids.
    Well said

"Summers off" ?! fucking joking right? Teachers have two months to plan out ten months worth of material, not to mention ciriculum changes that change every year.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

my entire family are teachers....It's a far cry from the support I got when I went to school. I never said it was an easy job.

I volunteer between 2 schools...don't even go there. I am at 2 different schools reading, scribing, gluing, pasting photocopying 4 days a week some half days some full days.

try and find a teacher at 3:30 at any school. when I pick up my kids the teachers are speeding out of the teachers parking lot as fast as they can.

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Well said

"Summers off" ?! fucking joking right? Teachers have two months to plan out ten months worth of material, not to mention ciriculum changes that change every year.
    How much does the curriculum change...I am allowed to have an opinion. I go to all the school meetings...volunteer for fund raising at every event.

All I hear is complaing from the teachers. 22 kids in a class how outrageous! I went to school with 35 kids in the same class, and it was the same teacher for pretty much the entire day. It's not that way anymore. They can get teachers helpers...student teachers.

My son is 2 years younger than my daughter we kept all her school work because we can pretty much follow exactly what he will be doing next in his current grade. Nothing more nothing less...same courses year after year after year.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

try and find a teacher at 3:30 at any school. when I pick up my kids the teachers are speeding out of the teachers parking lot as fast as they can.
    It's not like that everywhere and they do alot of work at home.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I am at 2 different schools reading, scribing, gluing, pasting photocopying 4 days a week some half days some full days.
    Wow!
    Just don't go overwork yourself or anything!
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast