Quantcast
Sportbike Footwear - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sportbike Footwear

Default Sportbike Footwear

I was just curious as to what everyone that rides sport bikes uses for footwear on here. I've been searching around a fair bit lately trying to find a comfortable boot that will offer some protection.

As much as it would likely be overkill, the most comfortable boot I've tried on has been the Alpinestars SMX-Plus and the thing I really liked about that boot was the internal lace up system. Most other boots felt loose around my foot (yes, the size was correct) but with the lace up system I could get my foot tight in the boot.

Can anyone recommend any boots, or point out any boots to avoid? Also, whats everyones opinions on the shorter (hiking boot style) boots? My initial reaction is that they don't provide enough protection but I may just be overly paranoid.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I use SIDI. I forget the exact model, but their about two years old. Puma makes great boots I've heard, abiet their expensive though. ($800 or so?) Sidi boots are great, I've used them as regular "shoes" at times when I had to (pulled the pants over the main part of the boot so it doesn't look retarded) and their very comfortable. Although sometimes they creek.

I've heard Alpinestars & Dainese boots dont offer much protection at all.. coming from various racers. I have no experience with them though. Alpinestars leathers are great, I love mine, but I've only heard bad things about the boots.
    Sorry to be the "bearer of bad news" so to speak.
    One thing I like about the Sidi's though part is that www.newenough.com offers parts to rebuild the sidi boots, so you can bail in them numerous times and just rebuild their parts as need be, to an extent of course.
    next boots I buy will be Puma just to try them out.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

^^ Good to know about the apparent poor protection offered from Alpinestars boots, I'll have to look into this. As for the Puma's, I tried on various boots from them but I was never able to find a damn size 8 in the "1000's", which are the ones I really wanted to try.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Poor quality protection according to who? I love my camo supertech boots, and the inner lace up boot is awesome.

The only boots I've ever hurt my feet in have been SIDI's.. I had some carbon vertebraes a year ago and higsided, when I landed the hinge cut my leg and gave me some damn good bruises. Broke my big toe all to shit too.

Don't focus on abrasion resistance with your boots, unless you get caught under the bike in a lowside you will hardly wear them down in a crash. I've been off 25+ times and have never even put a hole in a boot. Focus more on impact protection like ankle , shin and heel armor.

Pumas are for fashion geeks... never liked those boots at all.
    Bought not built!

My Ride

^ various people from triumph675.net and r6messagenet
    I have no personal experience like I say; I'm just passing on what they've said.

man Kevin, 25times and not even a single hole? damn
    you rock.
    what kind of boots do you now use?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    man Kevin, 25times and not even a single hole? damn
    you SUCK.
    fixed haha

I'm running some Alpinestars Supertecs (last year's).. Urban Moo Cow camo! haha
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    2005 F350

i've got a pair of SIDI Vertabrae II from back in 2002. i've crashed in them only 3 times (can't really compare the to 25 times of kevie ) but they've held up great.

comfortable enough to wear all day.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride

Originally posted by SOAB
    i've got a pair of SIDI Vertabrae II.
    Those are the ones I have, I forgot the name though.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 03-01-2008 at 10:51 PM.

Originally posted by SOAB
    i've got a pair of SIDI Vertabrae II from back in 2002. i've crashed in them only 3 times (can't really compare the to 25 times of kevie ) but they've held up great.

comfortable enough to wear all day.
    Hmm those look very similar to the Alpinestars I was looking at, does anyone know what local shops would stock them? I didn't see them at GW last time I was in, maybe blackfoot?

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

SIDI rocks.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Hmm those look very similar to the Alpinestars I was looking at, does anyone know what local shops would stock them? I didn't see them at GW last time I was in, maybe blackfoot?
    i bought them from blackfoot back in 2002 but haven't been in there for a while. they should still sell them.

My Ride
    04 G35 Coupe 07 Yamaha R1 08 GSXR 600

I don't think that you can buy the Vertebrae anymore, I think that they are called the Vertigo.... I wear Sidi as well.

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

alpine stars here

My Ride
    toyota truck. 06-R1 Raven. 97-JZA80.04-B6.

I wear vertigo tepor and they rock, Very nice boots.

My Ride
    Lada Niva

alpinstar smx3+ or something like that
    OOOOoooo....

My Ride
    Eclipse

DC shoes or my Puma shoes
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride

^^

I thought I was the only one who doesnt wear racing boots.

Is this what you guys have on when your using your bike as transport to just go somewhere, or only when your out to specifically ride?

My Ride

^ usually yeah. I dont remember the percentage of injuries in accidents that involve the feet, but its surprisingly high. If I'm just going a few blocks, and am not planning on going too fast, then I just wear shoes or whatever, but anything involving deerfoot or any sort of aggressive riding; I'd much rather be safe then sorry. When I pull my pants over the boots, nobody can even tell I'm wearing racing boots asides from (perhaps) other motorcyclists.

Its just too risky. A tumble at 60kph involving a curb can ruin/obliterate so many bones its incredible. I know the pain & physio involved after pulling a tendon in my knee after a high school gym accident; and I dont dare go through all that again, just because it takes an extra 20 seconds to put on my boots, or because my jacket is too hot to wear on a scorching day/ or my hands get too sweaty in my gloves when its really warm out.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 03-07-2008 at 06:00 PM.

My Ride

you can hide them while riding, but if your going to school or something, most boots arent the greatest for walking around campus all day

I got Oxtar TCS Evo Ti.

Not as well known over here but a very decent race boot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast