Quantcast
Global warming over? Global cooling now? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming over? Global cooling now?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Default Re: Global warming over? Global cooling now?

Originally posted by rage2

BTW - 2007 was a brutally cold year... tons of deaths relating to cold weather. China pretty much was completely frozen. We've got record amounts of sea ice, below average # of hurricanes and typhoons... and oh ya... we got snow in Baghdad too .

DISCUSS! [/B]
    I live in Hong Kong now and this winter was freakin cold... the news said it was the coldest winter in 40 years. Other media mentioned the changes in environment was causing hotter summer and colder winter. I didn't think I would break out my big winter coats here but man.. I use it more here than I was in Calgary.

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

while i don't dismiss global warming out of hand, i also remember in the 80s when they were preaching about coming into another ice age.

now, i am not any kind of a scientist, nor do i read scientific journals, but from what I have read, I have formed my opinion on the matter.

I don't belive that the human race can cause global warming, are we contributing to it, absolutely, but are we contributing to it in such a way that if we stopped polluting, could we have any meaningful effect? i don't think so.

I got the jist of the solar flare theory, and find it beliveable.

A few other theories i have read about and find interesting are:

(my favorite) - with the constant shifting of the earth's tectonic plates, it changes the earth's balance. Most people belive that the earth is perfectly round, when in actual fact, the earth is shaped like an egg, with the polar regions at the top and bottom. With the plates shifting, it is changing the distribution of the earth's weight, thus putting the earth out of it's natural balance, as we know it. To illustrate this, go and grab a spinning top. when you spin it, the areas with the most mass are pulled to the outside of the radius, while the lightest portion goes to the top or bottom as this is the nature of centrifical force. Just like an egg, the fattest portion of it would become the equator. now if this equator where to shift, the polar regions would change. From what i have read and can recall, the polar regions "wobble" by as much as 4KM and magnetic north has apparently moved by 200m. i will try to find a referance link for you guys.

the other one has to do with the iron content in the earth's core and rotation and such, i don't know much about this theory, maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

*edit* found some links:

polar shift

another one for shifting poles
    Last edited by spikerS; 03-06-2008 at 11:32 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by spikers
    now, i am not any kind of a scientist, nor do i read scientific journals, but from what I have read, I have formed my opinion on the matter.
    At least you KNOW your opinion is worthless, unlike some people.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    At least you KNOW your opinion is worthless, unlike some people.
    awww jeff, why you gotta be like that huh? that hurt my feelings.

but yeah, it is my opinion, and i do realize for the most part it is worthless, but i still say this globabl warming that humans are causing is bunk.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Carbon dioxide levels are rising faster than at any time in Earth's history, except after rare events like impacts from asteroids. Natural influences cannot explain the increase in global near-surface temperatures. These are the real facts. Everything else is pseudo-science.
    Big deal. Humans contribute only 2% of total worldwide CO2 emissions. Oceans only release over 300 gigatons of CO2 a year while humans release a paltry 26 gigatons. Find me one shred of evidence that global warming is due to human caused CO2.

Originally posted by BananaFob

Big deal. Humans contribute only 2% of total worldwide CO2 emissions. Oceans only release over 300 gigatons of CO2 a year while humans release a paltry 26 gigatons. Find me one shred of evidence that global warming is due to human caused CO2.
    Yes, but that 2% is a huge motherfucking margin when you're talking about a delicate system like CO2.

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Originally posted by arian_ma

Yes, but that 2% is a huge motherfucking margin when you're talking about a delicate system like CO2.
    Delicate system my ass. Any year with large volcanic activity will more than skew the total amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, not to mention other natural causes of CO2 due to wildfires etc. Like others have said in this thread, output from solar activity>>>>>CO2 in terms of effects on global climate.

Hopefully Global Warming is coming to an end, the Pirates are really getting out of hand:

My Ride
    Memories...

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    Hopefully Global Warming is coming to an end, the Pirates are really getting out of hand:
    Out of hand as in substantially being reduced?
    Chart reading 101 FTW.

My Ride
    a tank

yeah was in hk few weeks ago too and it was dam cold. then again I read somewhere that hk has one of the fastest rising temperature in the city. With that many people living in one spot, who couldnt believe it?

As far as the end of the world due to climate's concern, as a church goer, I dont think this earth will be retiring anytime soon as Jesus suppose to come back and rule the earth for at least a thousand years.

I'm more interested in the effects and how the rising sea levels will one day wipe out islands and coast like vancouver and Japan, now that would be breathtaking.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Global warming is such a waste of time and resources. It's typical egotism of mankind to think that we determine or play a part in global weather trends. I wish the tree huggers would put their efforts into stuff we actually can control like preserving endangered species.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    This thread is a prime example. Rage2 thinks he's "arguing" with his "research" but as bspot pointed out, buddy thinks two years represents a meaningful trend! Rage2 - such small scales are called WEATHER, not CLIMATE. And his reference? A fuckin BLOG?! From Luboš Motl, a so-proclaimed "conservative physicist" no less? It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that politics should have just as much influence on science as religion does. I'd like to see rage2 defend a thesis with blog links.
    I'm not here to defend a thesis. I'm here to spark discussion and debate in regards to global warming. Sure the data's being discussed on a blog link, it doesn't make the data invalid. We hit 2 years of cooling and a flat temperature curve since 1998... that's a fact, regardless if it's mainstream media, blogs, whatever. It's raw data, and it's valid for discussion.

Mainstream media predicted 2007 to be a record hot year in Jan 2007 based on estimates from your "credible scientists". Here's an example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6228765.stm

Making a big deal out of a cold 2007 would make them look stupid, so obviously the news isn't as mainstream as global warming news. Everyone has an agenda... mainstream media historically has taken sides and is not going to tell the complete truth about everything.

An interesting observation... I like how the global warming folks have now adopted it as climate change. You know we hear of alarmists saying we're going through global cooling... once they were wrong, alarmists go off on global warming. So instead of being potentially wrong, it's now climate change, so they're never wrong! .

In any case, cold changes in climate are much worse for humanity than warm changes. Look at how badly a cold year has affected us:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/...NTARY/10575140

Climate changes happen. It's happened through the course of earth's history, even during periods of relative climate stability before mankind was on this earth. We should be prepared, instead of trying to fight it, because its impossible.

http://www.nationalpost.com/most_pop...html?id=164002
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh ya, I found this little gem this morning. 1975 article on global cooling haha. Not that it's really relevant in this discussion, but it's a funny read.

http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Actually rage is right. I read somewhere that from 1998-2007 global average temperature did not increase there was actually a slight decrease, though not at a rate that differs significantly from zero.

The problem here is not that of climate change per se, but rather that of the sophisticated scientific brainwashing that has been inflicted on the public about global warming...

My Ride
    Axis powers

i want my calgary warming dammit
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ICEBERG
    Actually rage is right. I read somewhere that from 1998-2007 global average temperature did not increase there was actually a slight decrease, though not at a rate that differs significantly from zero.
    The first graph clearly shows that .

And to add a little more to the discussion, since we can't trust blogs, we can trust the general consensus... mainstream media reporting on behalf of respectable science? A history of freaking out over climate change:

http://www.businessandmedia.org/spec...fireandice.asp

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

When will people learn that this whole global warming thing is nothing but politics. You want to run the country? Target the masses, the people of average or below average intelligence. Scare tactics have been used since the beginning of mankind. Vote for me or the corporations will continue to pollute the atmosphere. Vote for me and the weather will never change. Vote for me and the north pole will stop melting. Vote for me to save your children and future generations.

People such as Rage and myself understand that the only constant of earth is that it's always changing. Earth is over 4 billion years old humans have occupied the earth for only 2 million years. Supposedly one land mass separated to form the continents. There have been ice ages, heat ages, etc. We are talking massive changes over time. Dinosaurs and other reptiles, mammals, etc inhabited the earth for hundreds of millions of years more than man. We are nothing more than a small blip on the earth's radar. We could all nuke each other and obliviate the planet of life but the earth will go on. Over the course of years, new life forms will grow, landmasses will change, and weather will change.

I'm a smart independent thinker. Do you really expect me to believe that man has any sort of control of global weather?

Mankind should spend more time trying to rid our species of religion. Hatred and violence is inherent in our species but religion cultivates the hatred and breeds much of the senseless violence that has occurred over the history of mankind. I find it humorous and at the same time sad that mankind's science & technology has evolved exponentially over the years yet the majority of the world still abides by ideology and structure created hundreds of years ago by humans which didn't even have the intelligence to create electricity or power.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast