Quantcast
Business HELP! Number Porting Problem Telus--->Shaw - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Business HELP! Number Porting Problem Telus--->Shaw

My Ride
    NC1

Default Business HELP! Number Porting Problem Telus--->Shaw

I run my family's Chinese Restaurant. We are located in Riverbend.

I am fucking pissed off at both Telus and Shaw. Not sure who is more at fault.

Shaw has a super cheap promotional phone plan for small businesses right now. $35/line includes pretty much all the features, call waiting, display, 3way etc. Basically $15/month for the first 4 months and $35/month after. I have two phone lines and this offer is substantially cheaper than what I'm paying to Telus right now.

Tuesday: Shaw techs show up for installation. Everything works fine.

Wednesday: I have 1 customer who comes in and said he tried calling for 20 minutes and it is just a continuous ring. No voice mail, nothing. I didn't think anything of it.

Thursday: Today I have 2 customers who come in and said the same thing. They tried calling both lines for 20 minutes, and get a continuous ring. Now I am fucking worried! Cause it is unusually slow for a Thursday night and phones are ringing every 30-45 minutes!

I get on MSN and asked a bunch of friends to call into the Restaurant and it rings, phone does work. I start to think, is it just the neighboring homes (Riverbend, Ogden, Lynnwood) who are using Telus as their landlines that aren't working? So my dad rushes home and calls the restaurant from home and it just keeps fucking ringing on his end but nothing on my end! So we call a friend that owns a restaurant up the street in Ogden and he tries calling us, again, a continuous ring on his end but our phones are silent!.

I call Shaw and they are telling me it's Telus fault for not finishing the port on their end? So I call Telus and they said there's nothing they can do until tomorrow when they come out to the house. Well, if Telus can get 1 fucking house to get connected to the restaurant, what about the other ones who can't get through? Are they going to to each fucking house or what? I don't even know which areas are affected right now. It could be all of our delivery areas (Douglas, McKenzie, Cranston etc)

Now it's the end of the night and I haven't had business this slow on a Thursday night in god knows how fucking long. It doesn't matter if I save $1000 on phone bills with Shaw for the next year because that's how much I already lost in business for this day alone!

Can anyone with relevant experiences in this situation or has worked as a technician chime in. Tomorrow is Friday, the day that any restaurant looks forward to and this is just stressing me the fuck out!

Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bicycle

I won't trust my business with Shaw phones. Home phone, may be.

I've seen at least 10 cases of outages and 2 botch transfers in the last 6 months from friends who try to save a few bucks.

Good luck. Hopefully some insider on here will help you out.

Shaw doing phones is like Telus trying to do TV. Stick with what you know guys.

My Ride
    NC1

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking at first. Stick with what you know! But I got sold on the promise, oh everything will work fine and the fact that I was saving money! That's the Chinese part of me! Saving fucking money and now this shit happens!

I seriously hope things get worked out by tomorrow or else I'm going to get 100% of the blame on this one. It doesn't matter if I'm 26, I can be 70 and Asian parents will still blame you for shit. LOL

If things don't get sorted out, I'm going back to Telus and praying when they port it back over, everything is going to work fine again. It's a shame. It's like dumping your long time GF for someone who you think is hotter and better, only to get the fucking shaft.
    I am user #49

Ports can be a nightmare!!!! It sure sounds like Telus didn't properly release the port. I am a tech for Shaw and have seen this problem before. From what you have described...... I imagine that you can receive calls from a "Shaw" phone but not an outside POTS line... ie. Telus, Bell, Rogers.... etc......

The problem is more than likely occuring when it hits the public switch...... (off of the Shaw network).

Telus is real good at "accidently" finding reasons to screw with ported numbers...... I'm not saying that we have the best phone service around...... but they do make it easier for themselves to try and save the account by causing grief.

If you can PM me your shaw acct#..... I will check the the boys in the office tomorrow and see what I can do for you.

My Ride
    NC1

^^^
    PM'd.

I had my cell number ported over from Telus to Rogers and had no problems with that. But even if there was an issue, it's just a cell phone. When it's affecting a business and the bottom line, that's a whole another story!

BTW, the Shaw agent was really understanding. His parents own a Chinese restaurant too so he knew what was up. From how things were explained to me, I don't really see how it's Shaw's fault but try explaining that to my parents. All they know is, this shit isn't working and it's Shaw who installed it. LOL
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

It's not Shaw's fault. Shaw has done everything on their end but since the line was originally on Telus' system they need to finish the port.

Telus can take up to 10 business days to complete the port because well, they can be assholes about it. It really only could take a maximum of one or two days but when a competitor is taking over the line they take their time porting a number over.

The other option would have been to cancel the line all together and then open up a new number with Shaw. That would be up and running right away but obviously in your situation that wasn't the most feasible option.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Ajay
    It's not Shaw's fault. Shaw has done everything on their end but since the line was originally on Telus' system they need to finish the port.

Telus can take up to 10 business days to complete the port because well, they can be assholes about it. It really only could take a maximum of one or two days but when a competitor is taking over the line they take their time porting a number over.

The other option would have been to cancel the line all together and then open up a new number with Shaw. That would be up and running right away but obviously in your situation that wasn't the most feasible option.
    BAHAHA, *breath* BAHAHA

dude, you obviously have no fucking clue what you are talking about.

more than likely the whole problem with the port is a translation issue that needs to be updated in switches. most companies will recognize the number as being a telus number and hence try to put the call through to the telus number, on the telus network. all that really needs to happen is for either shaw or telus to update the trunk line to route calls for that number to shaw instead of telus. really porting is a very complicated procedure that any small little glitch in any part of the process from either end can cause the whole thing to fail miserably.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    NC1

I am pissed off, frustrated, tired and just cranky. I've been on and off the phone with Telus & Shaw reps since 7am. I have said the same thing over and over to so many different reps that I am driving myself crazy.

To sum it up:

Telus has no work order that Shaw is porting the number over. According to Telus, I'm still their customer. Shaw is saying they have done everything. Because Shaw can't contact Telus directly, they are using Bell as the 3rd party to communicate. This thing still isn't resolved. I can't talk to anyone or else I'm going to kill someone over the phone. 7 hours of getting the run around will make any of you insane.

End rant.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Civic

Originally posted by spikers

BAHAHA, *breath* BAHAHA

more than likely the whole problem with the port is a translation issue that needs to be updated in switches. most companies will recognize the number as being a telus number and hence try to put the call through to the telus number, on the telus network. all that really needs to happen is for either shaw or telus to update the trunk line to route calls for that number to shaw instead of telus. really porting is a very complicated procedure that any small little glitch in any part of the process from either end can cause the whole thing to fail miserably.

It's not Telus' interest to make you a happy customer when you switch over to Shaw.

To the poster that stated Telus system is superior than Shaw think again. VOIP is the industry standard now. Thanks to VOIP we don't have to pay $3+/min for oversea calls now.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by riceboi
    To the poster that stated Telus system is superior than Shaw think again. VOIP is the industry standard now. Thanks to VOIP we don't have to pay $3+/min for oversea calls now.
    All I'm saying is, Telus never have outages and Shaw does. In 20 years, Telus had phone problems may be once. Shaw had at least 2 big outages and tons of little one in 3 years.

I know the world is going VOIP. I AM using VOIP like skype. All phone card businesses use VOIP. Until Shaw's stats shows a bit better, Telus has the tried and true system.

Originally posted by Xtrema

All I'm saying is, Telus never have outages and Shaw does. In 20 years, Telus had phone problems may be once. Shaw had at least 2 big outages and tons of little one in 3 years.

I know the world is going VOIP. I AM using VOIP like skype. All phone card businesses use VOIP. Until Shaw's stats shows a bit better, Telus has the tried and true system.
    One problem in twenty years? lol

My Ride
    NC1

Wow! Everything works fine now!
    I am user #49

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

lucky, u wanna send me a beef and black bean n/c? since everything worked out

well coming from someone who does actual number porting for a wireless carrier i notice that TELUS delays these requests as much as much as possbile and as long as possible

65 percent of the time, even after porting, at both levels, telus will STILL bill you.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

BAHAHA, *breath* BAHAHA

Thanks for coming out but I work at Shaw so I'm pretty sure I have an idea of what the deal is.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

^^lol, ok, and i also work for Telus and deal with ports all day long both in and out, so I think I am pretty informed on the matter.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

^^lol, ok, and i also work for Telus and deal with ports all day long both in and out, so I think I am pretty informed on the matter.
    Good for you. Would you like a lollipop?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Ajay

Good for you. Would you like a lollipop?
    no thanks, but thanks for the offer. nice to see that you are at the end of your argument and going the personal angle now.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Dude! What resturant is this?? If I knew you were so close to me I'd come and eat there!

You are all nuts for posting who you work for and trying to provide help/advice on a forum. I am pretty damn sure that goes against both of your terms of contract. Hell I know for a fact people working at shaw have been terminated for doing exactly that...