Quantcast
Sole proprietorship vs corporation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sole proprietorship vs corporation

My Ride
    King Ranch with boots and a hat to match

Default Sole proprietorship vs corporation

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? This is for a landscaping/excavating business with one owner.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

there is so much available elsewhere, this is probably the worst place to ask.

http://www.smallbusinessbc.ca/

^ tons of info on the pros and cons of each structure.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

I will say this...

If you get sued and have done work as a sole proprietorship, you will be held liable, and the person suing (plaintiff) can, and most likely will go at your assets (e.g. home). If you have a corporation and get sued only the companies assets will be at risk, not your own personal finances and livelihood.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Incorporate, then pay through dividends.
    whammy.

My Ride
    an overpriced civic

http://www.businessnameusa.com/Compa...ssEntities.htm

The biggest advantage of a corporation is definitely the limited liability.

Originally posted by BlackFyre

1.)Your name is RaceBread? Seriously? Like White or Whole Grain? Pumpernickel perhaps? The correct word you were looking for is Bred, as in Inbred, as in what I see in your future.

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Originally posted by urbannomad
    I will say this...

If you get sued and have done work as a sole proprietorship, you will be held liable, and the person suing (plaintiff) can, and most likely will go at your assets (e.g. home). If you have a corporation and get sued only the companies assets will be at risk, not your own personal finances and livelihood.
    That's exactly what liability insurance is for. I would say go for the sole proprietorship as it doesn't seem like your business is that huge at the moment. I had a painting company with $2 million in liability insurance and I ended up paying about $600 over the year for it. You also get double taxed as a corporation, once at the corporate level and then again when you declare income on your personal taxes. There's no point in doing this if you're only paying a few hundred dollars a year on insurance to stop you from getting sued for big bucks.

Originally posted by BananaFob

That's exactly what liability insurance is for. I would say go for the sole proprietorship as it doesn't seem like your business is that huge at the moment. I had a painting company with $2 million in liability insurance and I ended up paying about $600 over the year for it. You also get double taxed as a corporation, once at the corporate level and then again when you declare income on your personal taxes. There's no point in doing this if you're only paying a few hundred dollars a year on insurance to stop you from getting sued for big bucks.
    excellent advice. Corporate taxe return will cost you about $1500-$2000 to get done each year. Not to mention your monthly bookeeping fees for a corporation. Unless you're making more money than you can spend each year and have equity and assets coming out your ears, sole proprietorship is what you're looking for.

My Ride
    stakes into the hearts of vampires

I say be a proprietor for as long as you can, until you have to become a corporation.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

My DJ company is sole proprietor. I have good liability coverage. For me, incorporating would mean tons more paperwork, more tax on the little money I do make through the company, and just more hassle for something I consider fun.

Also, since it's just me and no employees, there's no reason to incorporate. I don't need to protect anyone but myself and it'll stay that way until I'm ready to go bigger.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.