Quantcast
97'Scort's spring Audio/Suspension Build - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 97'Scort's spring Audio/Suspension Build

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Default 97'Scort's spring Audio/Suspension Build

It has finally begun! I've been waiting all winter for this to start, and it finally has.

I've been without sound of any kind in my car since mid-October last year (bad move) when one of my amps blew a transistor. Since then I've had nothing to listen to other than the purr of the inline 6 and the clunk of my failing rear shock mounts.

Here's what's waiting to go in:

- Focal Power 4.75 and 1.800 amps
    - Focal 27V2 subwoofer
    - Audiocontrol EQQ
    - Whole bunch of Connection Audison

Already in the car:

- Pioneer Premier DEH-8MP
    - Focal Polyglass 130 V2 up front and 130CV1's in the rear deck
    - Optima Yellowtop

Sub box has been started:

5 layers of fiberglass curing

This is where the amps will end up: behind the rear seats, on the floor. If you fold these seats down, anything long enough to rest on them has a considerable gap between its bottom and the floor of the trunk near the seats. Since this is basically wasted space, the amps can live there We'll make a removable cover just for extra protection too:

The first update of many, I'm sure. There are TONS of suspension goodies waiting for the street sweepers: H&R Touring Cup Kit (Tunerworks), Ground Control RSMs (Tunerworks); front and rear control arms, urethane bushings, new hardware and bits and pieces (Bimmerworld.com).

We'll only really get one day a week to work on this (which will be the picture schedule too), but I still plan on having it fully done by DTP.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    E90 M3

I've been waiting for this thread. Awesome bro!

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

you doing the install yourself for audio? looks really good so far.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Myself and my friend Garrett over at Method Acoustics. I've been working weekends for him all winter to pay for this Frankly, my woodworking abilities start and end with cutting two-by-fours for framing rooms, so I need somebody who can do all the MDF work.
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    98 328is, 04 320i

That is crazy dude. Nice work. Subscribed.
    Glenn
    98 Arctic Silver 328is
    04 Titanium Silver 320i

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Sorry for the lack of updates! We really got swamped at the shop with the new dealership opening here and *somebody* passing around a cold.

So the update will be brief, but some new toys have arrived The Audiocontrol EQQ has been scrapped in favour of a snazzy Alpine PXA-H700 (I wanted my time alignment, dammit!). New floor mats (a treat for me, really) and a new center console. My old console is the plain-jane one, with just the ashtray and a hole for the e-brake.

Well, thanks to the good folks over at Bavarian Auto Recycling (www.bmrparts.com), I have a whole new, black leather armrest console on its way here. The plan is to have... well, you'll just have to wait and see, won't you?

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 02:55 PM.

My Ride
    E90 M3

Is the EQQ for sale?

ps. How do the V2's sound?

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by e36bmw///
    hey just wondering if the sub can be moved?
    to access the battery
    are you gonna do the same set up on the other side?
    You bet. The box will be a pressure fit, so it won't move unless I want it to. You basically have to slide it just the right way for it to move (in other words, it won't be flying around my trunk). The other side is kind of up in the air right now: I'm only going to have a single sub, so the other side will probably be some sort of crossover/eq module access.

Is the EQQ for sale?

ps. How do the V2's sound?
    EQQ is for sale, I can get you a price on it (it belongs to a friend of mine). V2's sound great, I much prefer the crossovers to the V1's.

My Ride
    E90 M3

Originally posted by 97'Scort

You bet. The box will be a pressure fit, so it won't move unless I want it to. You basically have to slide it just the right way for it to move (in other words, it won't be flying around my trunk). The other side is kind of up in the air right now: I'm only going to have a single sub, so the other side will probably be some sort of crossover/eq module access.

EQQ is for sale, I can get you a price on it (it belongs to a friend of mine). V2's sound great, I much prefer the crossovers to the V1's.
    What are the differences in crossover between the V2 and the V1? Is there a -1dB setting on it? I'm running V1's right now, and although I like the sound, I'll either need an EQ to properly attenuate the higher frequencies, or use some crossovers with the proper range and a -1dB setting. I'm using -3dB right now and I feel as though I'm losing a lot of clarity up top, but some of the music I listen to is really harsh to my ears (symbol crashes and high female vocals). Where did you install your tweeters?

Yeah, a price would be swell!

My Ride
    Lease

Cool install, keep us updated.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

$225 for the EQQ, OBO. It's only 4 channel EQ, kinda bulky, but it works and it's brand spankin' new.

I, personally, don't like built in crossover boxes, like the V1. V2's have a seperate crossover with -3,-6,-12 dB attenuation. If you want to tune out the harshness, though, you'll need an EQ of some kind. The Focal tweeters just naturally respond funny at certain frequencies, like most speakers. It doesn't help, also, that the V1's are running an aluminum dome tweet (V2's have a silk dome) as aluminum is definitely rougher on the cymbals.

Edit: I put my tweeters in the stock location, by dremelling out the stock mounts until my tweeters fit the hole. A little hot glue and it looks pretty good.
    Last edited by 97'Scort; 04-03-2008 at 06:41 PM.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Well, I can only comment on the 4.75 so far. I really like it. Runs very cool compared to a lot of amps. The high and low passes are pretty accurate and they have very good reproduction. Build quality is top-notch.

The 1.800 is still in the wrap I've heard it in other applications, though, and loved it. 600W to my dual 4 ohm sub Can't wait!

My Ride
    E90 M3

What tweeters do the V2's have? I was under the impression that all focal tweeters are some for of metal or other. I know they do get less harsh as you move up the line though.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

The V2's have the TN-47, "Tioxid 5" dome tweeter, and the V1's have the TNA, "aluminum/magnesium" dome tweeter. The stuff the TN-47 is made out of is not quite a silk dome, but it's more like the cone material for the polyglass drivers.

The new VR line, which is replacing the V2, has the TNB "aluminum/magnesium" dome tweeter. I've heard it is supposed to be less harsh than the TNA, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

My Ride
    E90 M3

wow that's interesting. I'll have to keep an eye open for some TN-47's then.

My Ride
    97 328i -sc-

Kyle,

how much do you charge for an aftermarket Headunit to be installed in my car?

My toy project - 97 e36 328i -SC-
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2603249

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

How much to *I* charge? Case of beer plus shop supplies, if you supply the harness, adaptor and stereo. I can also get the first two and you can pay me back. So basically a 12 pack of Heineken plus $15 for heat shrink, soldering.

If you bring it to the shop it'd be about $120. But I've got no issues doing it outside the shop for you.

My Ride
    97 328i -sc-

dude!!

you're my new best friend!! hehe ... freaking lost my blackberry over the weekend ... will pm ya : )

My toy project - 97 e36 328i -SC-
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2603249

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

sweet dude, looking forward to this.

btw nice start! looks like it is the beginning of an epic build
    Cos...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast