Quantcast
quitting smoking - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quitting smoking

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Default quitting smoking

K, I have decided to quit smoking to pay for my bike, same monthly cost, bike is more fun.

I have smoked a pack a day for just around 6 years, sucks for me, i cut down to 10 a day for the last 2 days, and i am going to cut down to 5 after tomorrow, then 0.
    I am feeling like absolute shit tonight, how many of you have quit or cut back huge and noticed how shitty you feel? Any pointers to get through the apparent worst week I am gonna have? and I am very bitchy and moody right now, sucks to be everyone around me

My Ride
    93 integra

just go get some blow it'll perk you right up haha. Kidding. Just carry a picture of a bike your going to try and get with you and look at it when your jonesing for a smoke. I quit smoking last year but I just stopped cold turkey and it's hard I know. In the last 3 years I've also stopped 3 other addictions which included blow and meth. So quitting drugs and smoking is not something new to me. Just have a constant reminder of what your quitting for is going to help you big time. AND I MEAN BIG TIME. I quit all that shit and was able to do so much more than I couldn't do before...You will never regret quitting with a nice bike in your driveway.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Start chewing gum....everytime you get the urge, pop a gum in, but damn quitting cold turkey is hard..I've done it and lasted 2 weeks...

A co-worker of mine tried quitting using this nicotine puffer system thing...
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Try reading this!

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...llen+carr%2527

A few buddies read it and stopped smoking. I'm quitting after my birthday this sat too.

I read half of the book already. It very good book!!

My Ride

give me some coles notes on the book, i dont like buying books haha, i'm more of a skim through and try to make shit up about the book.

I might get some gum for tomorrow, or beef jerky, how much worse is chewing tobacco, like skoal cherry, cause i used to chew that shit all the time too, when i couldn't smoke, better?

My Ride

Originally posted by theken
    give me some coles notes on the book, i dont like buying books haha, i'm more of a skim through and try to make shit up about the book.

I might get some gum for tomorrow, or beef jerky, how much worse is chewing tobacco, like skoal cherry, cause i used to chew that shit all the time too, when i couldn't smoke, better?

I dunno how much worse it is health wise but it'll stain your teeth 10x quicker... and doesnt it cut up your lower gums pretty bad?Someone told me theres lil pieces of fibreglass in it?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 03-13-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

You'll loose your jaw allot sooner then you would from smoking...If that dosent turn you away fromt chewing tabacco im not sure what will. Still has nicotene and some other nasty shit in it..so it cant be "good" for you...

I dunno..with quitting smoking you cant just say your going to do it..or say your going to have this many now and this many tomorow..becuase when tomorow comes even that 1 extra smoke that your not supposed to have probably wont matter to you.

Not sure if you see what im getting at but its kind of like procastinating. Your putting it off when really you should stop all together, make sense?

i like to smoke cigarettes through my anus. feels so good

My Ride

well, i make it impossible to have that extra smoke, i removed cheating variables, i buy a 20 pack, take half out leave it in my car, take the other half with me, when those 10 are gone im done, i dont bring enough money to buy another pack with me either, so i am budgeting them wisely.
    Very hard to just stop after 10 years of smoking, 6 years hardcore, takes more then jsut decisions, i think cutting in half is a huge step. then will be even better when thats in half.

My Ride

well, i make it impossible to have that extra smoke, i removed cheating variables, i buy a 20 pack, take half out leave it in my car, take the other half with me, when those 10 are gone im done, i dont bring enough money to buy another pack with me either, so i am budgeting them wisely.
    Very hard to just stop after 10 years of smoking, 6 years hardcore, takes more then jsut decisions, i think cutting in half is a huge step. then will be even better when thats in half.

Exactly....first step is realizing you have a problem, 2nd step is taking the necessary precautions to start cutting down, 3rd step is having a strong support system of friends/family around you that help you stay on track...and then its all down to self determination and control but easier said than done...I still have a few years left before I decide to quit..my goal is to quit before I'm 30

For myself, on workdays, I bring 5 cigs, 3 inside work for the coffee breaks/lunch and then 2 outside in the car, the rest of pack I leave at home, and it helps living in a No smoking allowed house...

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

I Quit smoking almost exactly a year ago.

I did the patch and it works very well.

follow the guide in the box.

don't do the no-name crap, they don't stick

to stop the habit, chew hot spicy gum

inferno gum was the best, chew 2 pieces then inhale deep

I do still crave a smoke once in a while, but I chew a piece and I feel fine.

I had bad dreams and didn't sleep well every time I stepped down on the patch.

when I stopped entirely, I didn't sleep for 3 days. I'm glad I quit tho.

fyi: I had been smoking for about 18 years

1-2 packs a day

I'm still coughing up crap once in a while, especially when I'm Sick- mucousy yellow/ orange Crap
    Last edited by barmanjay; 03-13-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

I smoked from the age of 13 untill october 7th 2007, so almost 8 years.

Quit cold turkey, hardest thing ive ever done, felt like a bag of rat shit for 3 or 4 weeks, was always grumpy, got into some yelling matches, just generally angry, it was a bitch.

But it was well worth it, after about a month to a month in a half, i was sleeping better, eating better (food tasted better), and i just generally feel better compared to when i was a smoker.

Even now i still get the occasional craving, but it passes faster and faster everytime, the big thing i noticed after i quit was how fucking bad smokers actually smelled, its gross.

Prepare to gain a few pounds though, as food usually ends up as a substitute for a smoke, i gained 8 pounds since i quit, but thats slowly getting worked off .

I tried the cutting back thing, it never worked out for me. Cold turkey is the only way.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Good luck and i hope you really quit. I have tried and tried, but i just can't seem to quit. You have to hate it to quit, and i don't hate it.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by 410440
    I smoked from the age of 13 untill october 7th 2007, so almost 8 years.

Quit cold turkey, hardest thing ive ever done, felt like a bag of rat shit for 3 or 4 weeks, was always grumpy, got into some yelling matches, just generally angry, it was a bitch.

But it was well worth it, after about a month to a month in a half, i was sleeping better, eating better (food tasted better), and i just generally feel better compared to when i was a smoker.

Even now i still get the occasional craving, but it passes faster and faster everytime, the big thing i noticed after i quit was how fucking bad smokers actually smelled, its gross.

Prepare to gain a few pounds though, as food usually ends up as a substitute for a smoke, i gained 8 pounds since i quit, but thats slowly getting worked off .

I tried the cutting back thing, it never worked out for me. Cold turkey is the only way.
    I was bitchy too, my GF would've left me, but she wanted me to quit and toughed it out!

I love my woman!

And yes, food tastes soooo much better now, infact I've been cooking more with tastier foods, and gained 25 lbs

I do notice how gross smokers smell now too,.. almost to the point where i can't stand it.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride

i love smoking, money is my 1st love though

My Ride

Do you have children yet?

Cold turkey is tough but I think it is the best way.

Best thing you can do is distance yourself from people you know who also smoke - that's how you get pulled back in.

Try working out. After a good workout, you don't even feel like smoking anymore. They taste gross after a workout too.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/96729/quitting-smoking/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/111459/quittin-smoking-/

There's tons of quitting threads. I'm not sure how many people have successfully kicked it though.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    Cold turkey is tough but I think it is the best way.

Best thing you can do is distance yourself from people you know who also smoke - that's how you get pulled back in.
    the one thing that always got me smoking again was being around smokers... mostly coworkers... I'd always know they're out smoking... and then you get the urge... you wanna go and have one... and you're not gonna buy a pack... you'll just get one off a coworker... but WHAM!!! you're buying a pack on your way home from work.

meh.... cigs are only 4 bucks a pack here... so screw it!

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

You can do it man. The first few days really does suck. Make it a long weekend with something else to do. Reward yourself by taking an extended long weekend if you can.

And don't smoke.

Take it son - like you would take a beating.

seem like a good way slow down and cut out...its impossible for me ahha damn i try cold turkey ahhaa two weeks later...back on the smokes ahah

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast