Quantcast
Lost Cellphone - Which one should I get to Replace? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lost Cellphone - Which one should I get to Replace?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Lost Cellphone - Which one should I get to Replace?

Hey Guys,

unfortunately I lost my ROGERS cell phone the other day. It was a simple little Nokia deal that has given me years of faithful service.

My friend just got a Blackberry. I dont want something that big, but I was thinking about the Blackberry Pearl.

Anyone have experience with this thing?

Any other suggestions for a cool new phone? I really want to able to synch my email to it. Will other phones do the trick or just a blackberry?

Thanks for the advice!
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Indian Scout

I have a pearl and I think it's a functional, decent sized phone. Other than the obvious advantages of PDA functionality, a blackberry will give you pin to pin messaging (in addition to email) which is exclusive to RIM devices.

My Ride
    nissan

i have had great luck with sony ericsson phones, except the new slider the w580i- that one sucked.

2 in row were POS so i went back the 810, it is indestructable/good size and battery lasts a week.

I have an unlocked ericsson k790a that is a great phone. it is on rogers as well. i might be moving out of the country soon, so i would be willing to talk about selling the phone with the contract it is on.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

If you want "easy" e-mail syncing, go with a BB if your willing to pay for the e-mail ($15 month for unlimited).

My Ride
    2009 Mitsu Lancer, 2004 Triumph Daytona

i just got an lg shine slider, and its pretty sweet. i dont really like the toggle thing on it, it goes down lists really slow. but the camera takes good pics, and i find it easy to text with, so im happy.

also you can engrave the back which i already did haha

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Well i think im going to grab the 8110 Pearl.

Its got GPS (10/mth) and email and a 2.7 mp camera etc.. etc..

SO how can they charge for GPS? Isn't GPS free????? GPS signals come from outerspace from satellites. I have multiple GPS devices and they dont cost any money to use... Hmmm

Rogers will give the old 8100 w/o gps for 75 after mail in rebate.

But i think i'll pony up and pay the 250 for the 8110.

I think its hilarious when you call their service line, they want to charge you MORE money than a new subscriber... unbelievable!

Frustrating ...
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by broken_legs
    Well i think im going to grab the 8110 Pearl.

Its got GPS (10/mth) and email and a 2.7 mp camera etc.. etc..

SO how can they charge for GPS? Isn't GPS free????? GPS signals come from outerspace from satellites. I have multiple GPS devices and they dont cost any money to use... Hmmm

Rogers will give the old 8100 w/o gps for 75 after mail in rebate.

But i think i'll pony up and pay the 250 for the 8110.

I think its hilarious when you call their service line, they want to charge you MORE money than a new subscriber... unbelievable!

Frustrating ...

pearls are SO SLOW! I hate them. I setup so many of these at work for our company and they are annoying.

Charging for GPS is pura rape. Its prolly just to enable the function. I would look into it more and see, perhaps if you unlock your blackberry your gps features will be free

You only pay 10/month to use TeleNav GPS (third party app). If you use the included Blackberry Maps you do not pay a subscription fee but just the data used. You can also get google maps which utilizes the GPS feature as well and is also free, excluding data usage.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by eblend

pearls are SO SLOW! I hate them. I setup so many of these at work for our company and they are annoying.

Charging for GPS is pura rape. Its prolly just to enable the function. I would look into it more and see, perhaps if you unlock your blackberry your gps features will be free

Well too late to look into it I've "signed" away the next three years of my cell phone life...

Anyone know if you can fight the cancellation fees for a 2-3 yr plan? Just curious, I have never EVER signed anything with Rogers theres just a confusing and technical conversation that i had with a representative on the phone - What if I dont want to pay? LOL

So I talked to a tech guy at Rogers. The fee is for the data usage because the GPS downloads the maps in real time. GPS is free but the data making your real time map is coming from the inet, thats where the cost is coming from.

I'm thinking there will be a way that I can input a Google Earth Map via USB and the GPS can navigate me around that rather than downloading it each time....

Sigh*

Oh well Maybe I'll update this when I get the phone.

Word of Advice - ALWAYS* go through "Customer Relations" over the phone. Just say something about switching to Telus and they will transfer you to those guys. They have all the good plans and promos. They were able to keep me on my same promoed plan and get the Pearl at the discounted price without paying 90/mth for 6 months or 3 years like the guy at teh rogers store wanted me to do

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Anytime your already on a contract, and what a new plan/phone...ask to talk to "retentions" directly...

Nope, the cancellation free used to be $20/month up to $200 max, but now it's $20/month up to $400 month for ECF.

Also they have a data early cancellation fee as well...I think it's $5/month if you cancel data.