Quantcast
250 & 400cc bikes, unatainable? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 250 & 400cc bikes, unatainable?

My Ride
    is wild

That's a girls bike

Street legal not very likely, although a '90(manufactured '89) FZR400RR will be legal this year.

The 250 2 strokes are maybe not such a good choice for street use, its very hard to ride them 50km/h or less this is usually 1st gear and out of the powerband. The 400 4 strokes are peaky but still usable. They can be made to be very quick and are razor sharp handling wise.

Bluespyder where are you from?

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    83 Mercedes Benz 300SD & 93 Ducati 888 & 71 Ducati

Then I'm growing tits. That is a nice small sportbike.
    I concur with the 2 stroke observations, as riding the TZ or TZR around town would be a pain in the ass, but I did not have problems riding my H1 Kaw., Bultaco, RD400 Yamaha or RZ around town. Two strokes can be a bit disconcerting to those who expect engine braking, though.

I have parts out being powdercoated for two 2 strokes that I am presently restoring.

Orginally, I am from Vancouver, but currently, I am living in suburb outside Los Angeles, a bit North of Malibu, where you can ride all year long.

I tend to disagree on the usage of the 2 storkes in the city. I had a NSR250, it was light, fast and small, it manueuver between cars and tight spot with ease. I loved it. Once I had a 1400cc curiser pulled next to me, he looked over at my bike with the 250 sticker, he laughed. I revved up to 9000rpm, and drop the clutch, he tried, but I never saw him again...

As for finding parts for the J-spec bike, I never really had any problems, they are not that hard to come by. The NSR or VFR forum are very very helpfull, and as long as you have the parts' number, any Honda dealer can get the parts for you. Or make friends with some wielding buddies.

J-spec bikes? check out www.isibike.com

Originally posted by m10-power
    That's a girls bike

Street legal not very likely, although a '90(manufactured '89) FZR400RR will be legal this year.

The 250 2 strokes are maybe not such a good choice for street use, its very hard to ride them 50km/h or less this is usually 1st gear and out of the powerband. The 400 4 strokes are peaky but still usable. They can be made to be very quick and are razor sharp handling wise.

Bluespyder where are you from?

My Ride
    Really FAST Ones

I used to have an 84 RZ500N all I can tell you is do not guage a bile totally by the amount of cc's a bike has. Those and the Suzuki Gamma I used to have rocked very hard. In their day they were on par with the huge CC machines like the Huricane 1000. The 1000 may have had more power but in a 1/4 mile race the differance was negligable. However in the curvy's sayy bye bye.
    Lookin Good is Goin FAST
    "HOME of the AWD DYNO"

getting a J-spec isn't that hard.

check out ebay:

There's a 1990 Suzuki RVG 250, where you can legally import into Canada

Or there are about 2-3 Aprilia RS 250, street legal for sale as well.

Originally posted by bluespyder

Or there are about 2-3 Aprilia RS 250, street legal for sale as well.

An Aprilia would be a horrible first bike. Not because they're bad bikes(I almost bought an RS250 a month ago as a track bike) but because parts are difficult(and expensive) to find.

Since it will be his first bike chances are very high that he will go down and minor or not, parts for an RS250 are going to be hard to find. There's nothing worse than having a bike sitting in the garage waiting for parts while it's +25C outside.

I'd seriously look at a Kawi EX500. They're fairly cheap, there are a lot around and they can take a beating. They sit fairly low too so you shouldn't have any problems touching the ground firmly.

My Ride

I agree with Bol on the EX500. Great first bike.

Bluespyder - when you lived here, did you ride a Honda NSR250?
    Just asking - the 2 stroke community here is not large.

And as far as twostrokes rocking hard, my RZ 350, which I owned at the same time as I owned an Eddiie Lawson Replica Kawasaki, would beat the ELR in the 1/4 mile, and handled infinitely better. The ELR was basically my Touring Bike.

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

rs250 is total race bike period! Not good for the street at all

also thery're expensive and parts are too
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

My Ride

By the way, how much is the little 250 Aprilia twostroke?

I know that the big one is about $17K, with the top of the line version about $26...or is that right or not? I seriously doubt that I will get another Ducati - even after twenty five years of owning and riding Duc's because I am dissapointed with the local dealserships. Besides, the Aprilias intrigue me.

My Ride
    is wild

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
    rs250 is total race bike period! Not good for the street at all

also thery're expensive and parts are too
    Aprilia RS250 is a street bike. There are several in town.

how's that? they arent even being brought over without being registered as a non-highway use bike because they dont conform to any emissions specs..?

Originally posted by Ducati
    By the way, how much is the little 250 Aprilia twostroke?

The RS250 is about $5k US on average... I haven't seen any up in Canada for sale and don't even know if they're street legal here. I can't see why not since motorcycle's don't exactly have crash standards and safety equipment like cars do, but I'm not up on my motorcycle import laws.

My Ride

Lets see...$5000 x 1.36 exchange = $6800.00

I'll take one! Now, how to figure out the loopholes.

My Ride
    is wild

Originally posted by method
    how's that? they arent even being brought over without being registered as a non-highway use bike because they dont conform to any emissions specs..?
    Not sure exactly, I knew a fellow years ago that had an RGV 250 ('91ish) and he just went down to the border in BC and had them inspect the bike. I think he put a bunch of canadian import stickers in the right place(from other bikes) and they gave him a K22(I think that is what it is to register). Was simple for him, doesnt work like that any more...
    I would guess they are either brought in as race bikes, insured and plated with another bikes registration. As long as its insured...

Likwid_Fire Guest

250's are attainable... i had one for a while. man that thing was fun.

then again, i didn't search very hard i drove past it sittin in the driveway with a sale sign on it...

My Ride
    '95 eclipse gsx- '04 Yamaha R6

What's the purpose of starter bikes? My very first bike was a suzuki TL1100 and you just gotta start out slow until you get the hang of it. I have my Yamaha now and I'm only 19. Seriously... just get a real bike.

I bet you a motogp rider on a 250 2 stroke could destroy you on your 'real bike'

My Ride

C.D.; I have utterly humiliated guys like you on big sportbikes while riding my old FZR400 on the twisty road up to My. Baker, and along fast winding roads like Hyy 31A where point and shoot riding does not work. Anybody can pull a throttle and accelerate in a straight line - few know what to do when a series of corners approaches. I know several 45, 55, and 65 year old guys who ride small bikes like RZ350's etc. who can outride teenage supermen on 750/1100 spottbikes. (The small bike is their "winter Ride"; they also have RC51's, ow01 Yammies, 916/996's as their "good" bikes)

From your vast experience, what can you tell me about how to correctly enter an apex, where do you chop the throttle, and where to apply throttle? Can you define "countersteering"? Define how you would apply brakes if you had to slow down in a corner to avoid hitting a moose? What do you do if an improperly attached peice if luggage falls off and jams up your rear wheel at speed?

Your TL 1000 is a very very cool bike, no doubt - I really do like the later versions (the early ones were skittish) however I remain convinced that you learn best on a bike that you can wring out like a dishrag.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by Ducati
    however I remain convinced that you learn best on a bike that you can wring out like a dishrag.
    Semi-off topic/thread hijacking moment but this is very true for cars as well. Excellent and insightful comment
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast