Quantcast
Looking for squirrel/rodent traps - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for squirrel/rodent traps

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Looking for squirrel/rodent traps

We've got a bit of a squirrel problem at our house and we think there's one living in the rain gutter and on the roof. Last week there were a couple more on the roof and they were actually fighting all day long, probably over territory. We don't want to kill or hurt them, but we can't have them living on the roof as they'll chew the place up, so we're considering trapping them and relocating them to a more suitable area. Where might one find one of those cage traps?

I tried searching for Calgary pest control for more info, but wasn't anything to come up with anything. Is this something that can be purchased at like home and garden stores sort of thing?

UFA is your friend. They do have traps. We bought one for a gopher there.

Calgary
    4635 - 1 Street SE
    Calgary, AB

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

A pressure washer, just get up on the roof and give'er, not only will it get rid of squirells, but it will clean out your rain gutters, great timing if spring.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to live-trap a squirrel. In all the times we've tried, we've only succeeded once. They're smart little buggers. Plus, once you trap them, you have to drive them quite a ways away for them not to return.

UFA, as stated, as a good selection of both live traps and not-so-live traps that can help you out. Just as advice: peanut butter doesn't work with squirrels, but peanuts will, as will sunflower seeds (if you have a bird feeder where they're going to, it's a great spot to trap them).

Don't feel bad about killing a couple of squirrels. A litter of those buggers can be 9-10 large, and they have this nasty habit of killing small birds, like chickadees and finches, to get to bird feeders.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Since you're in the city, a .22 is out of the question.

I've live-trapped squirrels before.
    I just got a tupperware container, a stick, and a handful of sunflower seeds. Spent an hour or so feeding him seeds (don't feed them a lot, you need them hungry) to build his confidence around you. Then, set up the trap and ~5 minutes later had me a squirrel.

For motives sake, I'll explain: He'd gotten a nylon fishing net wrapped around his neck, and it was shriking with the wet/dry/wet/dry so would have eventually killed him. He had pretty deep, nasty scars from it when I finally got it cut off him.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to live-trap a squirrel. In all the times we've tried, we've only succeeded once. They're smart little buggers. Plus, once you trap them, you have to drive them quite a ways away for them not to return.

UFA, as stated, as a good selection of both live traps and not-so-live traps that can help you out. Just as advice: peanut butter doesn't work with squirrels, but peanuts will, as will sunflower seeds (if you have a bird feeder where they're going to, it's a great spot to trap them).

Don't feel bad about killing a couple of squirrels. A litter of those buggers can be 9-10 large, and they have this nasty habit of killing small birds, like chickadees and finches, to get to bird feeders.
    we opted for the not so alive method. We put a trail of carrots out and 5 mins after we had ourselves a gopher that tore up my yard, Stole my fruits and veggies from the garden, and would empty a bird feeder in seconds flat throwing the seeds everywhere.

My Ride
    240SX

BB gun ftw

set pressure low to stun but not kill. eventually they will leave and you get to practice marksmen

My Ride

Originally posted by SkittleFreak
    BB gun ftw

set pressure low to stun but not kill. eventually they will leave and you get to practice marksmen
    This is a horrible, fucked up idea. Either kill it, or don't. But don't just try to hurt it over and over and over.

Jackass.

My Ride
    240SX

We had a dog problem at our grandmas orchard, where the dogs would repeatedly come onto the property. We told the owners to keep the dogs locked up better, ntohing happened, we called dog services didn't do anything.

So we shot them with a bb gun, same with the ravens. Not very strong shots but enough to sting. No more dog problems

Ravens are just dumb though. Marmots you just kill.

My Ride

^You're an asshole.

My Ride
    240SX

We had customers all the time coming and going and these were big dogs, we didn't know what they would do, and they shit everywhere. What would you do?

Apparently he eats chocolate covered ones...

Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

We finally caught one of the fuckers yesterday!

Shortly after the original posting, we went to Canadian Tire and saw they had rodent traps there so we picked one up. We put the trap on the roof for a few weeks but it ended up being a huge inconvenience to keep going back up there to check on it and reset the trap door if it had shut so we gave up.

By coincidence, it also turned out there was a woodpecker chipping away at our stucco at the same time. It never would have occurred to me that we had a woodpecker problem had I not seen it myself. After we patched up all the holes, the woodpecker disappeared and the gnawing from the roof went away, so we figured it was the bird making those annoying noises the whole time.

Last winter we'd hear the occasional gnawing noise again and it increased during the spring and we saw more of both the squirrel and the woodpecker at the same time. We got rid of the woodpecker but the gnawing increased. Last week we finally got fed up and decided to make another attempt at catching the squirrel. I see it by the front door at least once a week when I leave the house for work so I knew it where it was coming down from so I decided to set the trap there.

I had the bastard on the 5th day!

My sister recorded the squirrel after we caught it and it was making a weird clucking noise

We drove it out to Chestermere and released it yesterday evening.

I know there's one more that frequents our rooftops since we can hear it running across the roof and window sills, so we're not done yet. We just hope we got the gnawing one.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

"BITCH!!"

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

We used to have the same problem at out house. The little buggers used to run laps each morning in the rain gutters and wake me up.

We set up the same traps and used to catch them, and then drive them out into the middle of Fish Creek park and release them.

After doing it about 40 times, it started to get a bit annoying.

In the end, the squirrels won and we sold the house.

P.S
    You don't live in Woodbine do you?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Haha no, I live in the NE. Fuck, two squirrels are driving me insane. I couldn't imagine having to deal with as many as you did

My Ride

props for not just killing them, but you released him so far from any trees I expected the video to show a hawk swoop down and grab him

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Haha no, I live in the NE. Fuck, two squirrels are driving me insane. I couldn't imagine having to deal with as many as you did
    I think we only had a couple that were terrorizing our house. All the other ones we caught were just random squirrels from the neighborhood that were unfortunate enough to venture into our backyard.

We did end up catching a raccoon as well. Had to call Alberta Wildlife to take care of it as I was too scared to go anywhere close to the trap

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Just an FYI, but if you have a woodpecker going crazy on your house (and it's an actual pecker, not a sapsucker), then you might want to have your house checked for wood ants or termites. They can hear them and are trying to get to them.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Bwahaha! And tonight I caught the second one

This guy was PISSED!!

Right after it was caught:

On the way to Chestermere:

The release. And to address 5hift's concerns, I moved a little closer to the trees (although that screeching in the background is a bit of a concern...)

Now I can finally get some sleep on the weekends....

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    Just an FYI, but if you have a woodpecker going crazy on your house (and it's an actual pecker, not a sapsucker), then you might want to have your house checked for wood ants or termites. They can hear them and are trying to get to them.
    Thanks for bringing that up. We actually did have a bad ant problem on our lawn the last couple of years. This year not at all. But I'll keep that in mind.