Quantcast
need help, negotiating a used car at dealership. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: need help, negotiating a used car at dealership.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Default need help, negotiating a used car at dealership.

So I've got my eye on a 04 civic at a Honda dealer here in Calgary, the only reason i'm even considering it is because they have .9% financing...

anyways, the car is listed for ~$13000 with 52,000 KM on it... is this a good deal? from what i've seen it is, also what would be a good price to offer them or negotiate with them for? any good tactics for getting them to drop the price a bit?
    Last edited by Thaco; 03-21-2008 at 11:44 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Going in near the beginning or middle of the week, going in near the end of month...is what I've heard..something to do with their monthly quota
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    s13

looks if its cheaper somewhere else or around the same price range say you can get if from "jason" at calgary hyundai or some shit for cheaper and see what he says
    Ridin soLow - if sparks don't fly, your ride's too high

-the other day i saw a banana peel on the road and i swerved... thanks mario kart.

yea that does look like a pretty good deal for those KM's and unfortunately the dealer will know this too, go for a test drive..if you like it decide on a price mentally. I would say in all honestly 12,800 in my mind, bare in mind they will charge another 800 in GST + Fees atleast.

Start the bidding at 12,000 and see where it goes from there..

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

what trim civic?

without the trim level or knowing how many accessories are on the car this may or may not be a great deal..

My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by Mr_ET
    what trim civic?

without the trim level or knowing how many accessories are on the car this may or may not be a great deal..
    it's an LX

Price : $ 12988
    Kilometers : 51665
    Engine : 1.7L Inline4
    Body : Coupe
    Transmission : Manual
    Cylinders : 4
    Fuel : Gas
    Drive : FWD
    Doors : 2
    Options : Air Conditioning, CD Player, Driver Air Bag, Dual Air Bag, Keyless Entry, Power Mirrors, Power Windows, Tilt Steering, Power Locks, Cruise Control

^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '05 Acura TL

I have a question along the same lines and instead of starting a new thread might as well get an answer in here..sorry Thaco.

Cars priced at 21000 whats a reasonable offer to put forth if it's already the lowest priced car on the market...through private seller btw
    Originally posted by edde
    its called sarcasim you fucking idiot

Originally posted by TeamBestBud
    I have a question along the same lines and instead of starting a new thread might as well get an answer in here..sorry Thaco.

Cars priced at 21000 whats a reasonable offer to put forth if it's already the lowest priced car on the market...through private seller btw
    i feel better going lower with private sellers, because unlike dealers were they do the "im going to the manager" bullshit..they give you offers straight to your face.

Start with 18,000, i would say in your mind stick with 20,000 if its a really good deal.

If he gets offended say that you can work on the price. I love private sales

On a side note, i am interested in a car in Edmonton, pretty good deal, is it worth the drive overthere??

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by TeamBestBud

On Beyond Marketplace... about $1500.

In reality, I would look at the vehicle in person, note anything that would lower the price (eg dents, scrapes, rips in interior, etc), and use these as argue points. If it was in decent shape, I'd probably offer $18g, and go from there.

If I were the seller, and someone offered lower than that on the 1st try, I'd just tell them to get off my property.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    fast and red.

I think you can make a low offer, but it has to be strong in every other way. Whether you're buying real estate, cars, or whatever, focus on your own strength - ie, "Hey, I won't give you your asking price, but I have cash, I'll take delivery today, I'll overlook that blemish in the paint, etc.". If you're financing, same deal: "Hey, I can't pay what you're asking, but I have a good downpayment, I have good credit, I have a co-signer, I will send friends your way for future purchases, etc."

I'm always amazed when people feel bad about making a low offer. It's an offer, and if the seller's offended, who cares? I don't take it personally when somebody is asking too much for something, so why should they take it personally when my budget is a bit lower than they wanted?

I'd either offer $10K, with flexibility, or offer $12K, firm. But that's just me.

My Ride
    '05 Acura TL

Originally posted by Fiasco

i feel better going lower with private sellers, because unlike dealers were they do the "im going to the manager" bullshit..they give you offers straight to your face.

Start with 18,000, i would say in your mind stick with 20,000 if its a really good deal.

If he gets offended say that you can work on the price. I love private sales

On a side note, i am interested in a car in Edmonton, pretty good deal, is it worth the drive overthere??

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

On Beyond Marketplace... about $1500.

In reality, I would look at the vehicle in person, note anything that would lower the price (eg dents, scrapes, rips in interior, etc), and use these as argue points. If it was in decent shape, I'd probably offer $18g, and go from there.

If I were the seller, and someone offered lower than that on the 1st try, I'd just tell them to get off my property.

That's what I was thinking but I didn't want to offend the owner into not even considering what else I could offer. I am by no means a low baller but i don't want to come off being one either.

Thanks for the tips guys

Originally posted by edde
    its called sarcasim you fucking idiot

Originally posted by canuckcarguy
    I think you can make a low offer, but it has to be strong in every other way. Whether you're buying real estate, cars, or whatever, focus on your own strength - ie, "Hey, I won't give you your asking price, but I have cash, I'll take delivery today, I'll overlook that blemish in the paint, etc.". If you're financing, same deal: "Hey, I can't pay what you're asking, but I have a good downpayment, I have good credit, I have a co-signer, I will send friends your way for future purchases, etc."

I'm always amazed when people feel bad about making a low offer. It's an offer, and if the seller's offended, who cares? I don't take it personally when somebody is asking too much for something, so why should they take it personally when my budget is a bit lower than they wanted?

I'd either offer $10K, with flexibility, or offer $12K, firm. But that's just me.
    Dude he already said its the lowest price on the market, how can you offer 10k or 12? to me thats a slap in the face..

My Ride
    NC1

Which Honda dealer? Sorath works at T&T so if it's there, give him a shout.

Look through the trader and find out how much other LX's are selling for. Also factor in financing. If you pay less privately but have to get a loan at prime+2% vs 0.9%, that's a huge difference. If the dealer won't move on the price, try to get them to throw in some free stuff. Oil changes, new mats, 3m, etc.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Memories...

It is a dealer. What is the slap in the face? It is called negotiating. You can say $5,000 to start, you will get laughed at but they won't genuinely be offended by it.

You might not get it for that price, but they won’t be like “how dare you, leave now, I am so offended I won’t even sell it to you for asking price.”

No harm in asking.

Lookup the black book price on the car and go from there. Be prepared to pay quite a bit higher than black book from a used car dealership (or from anyone for that matter) if it's a really clean car.

Just walk if you don't like the deal, you will find others. The worst mistake you can make is to let them pressure you into buying.

My Ride
    Rage2

thanks guys, i took the plunge, there was some damage to the rear bumper, a few cracks, so i paid sticker and they agreed to repair/replace and repaint the rear bumper, it was a pretty good deal anyways, really low mileage for it's year (5 years old)

Next question is, before i pick it up i have to decide if i want extra warranty, they offered me 3 years basically bumper to bumper for $1200... included with the car, whether i purchase this extra or not, is a 6 year 120k drivetrain warranty.

I'm torn on the bumper to bumper because i am confident that anything minor i can take care of the labour myself, so i'm not sure it's worth it to me.

http://driving.canada.com/buy/used/d...?carid=1859260
    Last edited by Thaco; 03-22-2008 at 06:03 PM.

^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by Thaco
    thanks guys, i took the plunge, there was some damage to the rear bumper, a few cracks, so i paid sticker and they agreed to repair/replace and repaint the rear bumper, it was a pretty good deal anyways, really low mileage for it's year (5 years old)

Next question is, before i pick it up i have to decide if i want extra warranty, they offered me 3 years basically bumper to bumper for $1200... included with the car, whether i purchase this extra or not, is a 6 year 120k drivetrain warranty.

I'm torn on the bumper to bumper because i am confident that anything minor i can take care of the labour myself, so i'm not sure it's worth it to me.

http://driving.canada.com/buy/used/d...?carid=1859260
    Get them to drop a bit on the warranty, or include a few goodies!
    Then i'd scoop it up..

btw: are you T3rry on RFD?

My Ride
    N54B30O1

Originally posted by asuth077
    It is a dealer. What is the slap in the face? It is called negotiating. You can say $5,000 to start, you will get laughed at but they won't genuinely be offended by it.

You might not get it for that price, but they won’t be like “how dare you, leave now, I am so offended I won’t even sell it to you for asking price.”

No harm in asking.
    Depends. If you aren't serious, you're wasting their time and these guys are there to sell cars, not waste each other's time talking nonsense.

When I sell things privately, if someone offers me a number that's too low, I end the negotiation right there. If they're serious, they'll return with a serious offer.

My Ride
    Ram

or u can just buy one from me and i can hook u up