Quantcast
CanadArm Sold to US - Northern Sovereignty/Security Problem Results - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CanadArm Sold to US - Northern Sovereignty/Security Problem Results

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default CanadArm Sold to US - Northern Sovereignty/Security Problem Results

Heres the article I stole from the Globe and Mail. I had no idea about this and hadn't heard anything about it on the news or anywhere.

A company in the US has purchased MDA the company that makes the Canadarm for 1.3 Billion Dollars, or more accurately the deal has been approved by shareholders and is now under review by the Canadian Gov't.

MDA also made the Radarsat2 Satellite that has ultra nifty imaging powers and is used for real time observations on Canada's Northern Territories to help protect our sovereignty.

Whats important here is that Canadian taxpayers gave this company 500 Million Dollars to build this stuff and the Canadian government has access to the Radarsat2.

US doesn't respect Canadas Sovereignty inthe NOrth, US buys company that controls satellite that watches over our Northern Territories. Anyone else see a problem here?!

Write a letter to your MP!

The whole article:
    Ottawa plans longer probe of Canadarm maker's sale
    TU THANH HA AND KEVIN CARMICHAEL
    20:51 EST Thursday, Mar 20, 2008

MONTREAL, OTTAWA — — Faced with a growing chorus of concerns about Canada's leading aerospace assets passing into American hands, Industry Minister Jim Prentice will take an extra 30 days before deciding whether to allow the sale of the geospatial unit of MacDonald Dettwiler and Associates Ltd.

The delay was hailed by critics of the sale of MDA's space business to the U.S. weapons and aerospace giant Alliant Techsystems Inc. [ATK-N]

The $1.3-billion deal, however, had been approved last week by over 99.9 per cent of voting shareholders of Richmond, B.C.-based MDA.

"Shareholders were expecting a windfall from this transaction. At this point it may not happen," Dundee Securities Corp. analyst Richard Stoneman said yesterday.

"The risks, the uncertainty about the transaction have escalated," he added.

The controversy has placed Mr. Prentice in the delicate position of having to balance pro-business considerations with concerns about Arctic sovereignty and military security.

Yesterday's postponement, outlined in a letter to Alliant, came two days before Mr. Prentice was supposed to end his review of the transaction under the Investment Canada Act.

Thanks to about $500-million from taxpayers, MDA built and launched Radarsat-2, a state-of-the-art observation satellite that can see through clouds and nighttime cover.

The division also built the Canadarm, a robotic arm on the space shuttle and the international space station.

Since the transaction was announced, "relative to the market, MDA shares have done very well," Mr. Stoneman said. "I'm not sure how well they'll do if this transaction fails."

His firm changed its rating for MDA from "buy" to "neutral" in the wake of the outcry over the sale.

There have been concerns about whether Canada would still have priority access to Radarsat-2 images from the country's northern regions.

Through Radarsat-2, MDA is involved in the Canadian Forces' Polar Epsilon project, which would provide the military with up-to-date, all-weather images of the country's oceans and Arctic region.

Mr. Prentice "is certainly having to consider factors that are not normally as prominent in foreign investment cases," said Michael Byers, Canadian research chair in international law and politics at the University of British Columbia.

Critics are also hoping that Foreign Affairs Minister Maxime Bernier will intervene. Prof. Byers said Mr. Bernier has the power, under the Remote Sensing Space Systems Act, to cite national security reasons to veto the transaction or amend the Radarsat-2 licence.

Similarly, the Rideau Institute, a think tank that opposes the transaction, and the Canadian Auto Workers released a legal opinion questioning whether the sale is permitted under the act.

Institute president Steven Staples said the delay was an encouraging sign the government was "beginning to wake up'' to the impact of the sale.

Once the 30-day postponement is over, Mr. Prentice could ask for another delay but he would then need the consent of the companies involved, departmental spokesman Bill Rodgers said.

Neither MDA nor Alliant have made comments in recent days, even though Alliant previously indicated it was willing to testify before a parliamentary committee.

Mr. Prentice is also keeping mum.

"He's much in the same position as a judge is on this," Mr. Rodgers said.

Based in Edina, Minn., Alliant calls itself an advanced weapon and space system company and boasts that it is the largest producer of ammunition in the U.S.
    Last edited by broken_legs; 03-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    YZ250

I've been watching this lately has the deal gone thru? I now there is a lot of public outcry on the topic, I can't fucking believe this.

The shitty thing is the government, MEANING EVERYONE WHO PAYS TAXES, subsidized 400 million of it, now were literally giving that shit to the US and the the 400 million is going into the shareholders pockets.

And now they're going to use that spy satellite against us.

fucking bullshit.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Man the government is always talking about Canadian Pride, but hell we are selling more of our Canadian Pride to the US, leaving us with nothing but some money in THEIR pockets.

Canadian Government = Lame

My Ride
    Memories...

The government hasn't approved it yet.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Lets hope they don't, keep some Canadian Pride.

Harper? Stick up for Canada over US lobbyists? ...

My Ride
    CRF 250L

write a letter to your MP

Call them, tell them what you think about this

We can't let this slip by
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

total sell out.

typical canada. canadians consider tim hortons a part of their culture, while its been owned by americans for about 20 years.

or the "support our troops" stickers sounds just as american

i have one on my car "support our troops... but not the ones in afghanistan"

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Like the US cares about some small-dick of a satellite. They blow up billion dollar spy satellites for fun. They're after the company and the brain trust therein, not the hardware.

We'll probably still have access to it. The real problem is if all those people will lose their jobs or be forced to relocate. We need to be attracting high-tech to Canada, not selling it off.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    Like the US cares about some small-dick of a satellite. They blow up billion dollar spy satellites for fun. They're after the company and the brain trust therein, not the hardware.

We'll probably still have access to it. The real problem is if all those people will lose their jobs or be forced to relocate. We need to be attracting high-tech to Canada, not selling it off.

correct but my question is to the canadian tech industry, how do we attract high industry to canada when even our consumer internet tops out at 1mbp?

i wanted to start up my own web hosting company, and offer my clients 10/10 hosting. such a conenction would be 10k per month. in the united states and third world counteries that would under 100 sometimes even 40 dollars a month for 5-to upload.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Is that arm still worth anything? It's older than I am.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Integra

Originally posted by 4lti7ude
    Man the government is always talking about Canadian Pride, but hell we are selling more of our Canadian Pride to the US, leaving us with nothing but some money in THEIR pockets.

Canadian Government = Lame
    But more Canadian business' are growing faster and larger =]
    Its a yes and no situation, although this is pathetic and the goverment must step in.