Quantcast
Asus EEE PC - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus EEE PC

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Default Asus EEE PC

Does anybody own an Asus EEE PC? I was thinking of getting one. This would just be for quick email, web surfing, and mostly for traveling, to stay connected without lugging around a full size laptop. Don't play on playing games or anything like that as this won't replace my desktop.

I've got one - it's a decent machine for doing exactly what you said, but not much more. I put windows XP on it and just added an 8GB SD card to put everything I need on it.

I would highly suggest getting the 4GB. The 8GB is a little overpriced in my opinion. The main reason is the ram is easy to replace/upgrade in the 4GB - the 2GB version you have to take the whole machine apart to get to it.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Originally posted by duffy
    I've got one - it's a decent machine for doing exactly what you said, but not much more. I put windows XP on it and just added an 8GB SD card to put everything I need on it.

I would highly suggest getting the 4GB. The 8GB is a little overpriced in my opinion. The main reason is the ram is easy to replace/upgrade in the 4GB - the 2GB version you have to take the whole machine apart to get to it.
    So you upgraded the RAM your 4GB? Does it just use regular SODIMM? I hear there will be a 9 inch screen version coming out, with 1024 resolution, with 12GB disk space. Not sure if I should wait for that, although the price would be around $600.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

CaptainReboot, I've sold lots of these things, and the thing you absolutely have to be clear on is what it can and can't do. It won't be a blazing fast multimedia machine, or a gaming laptop. I know it sounds obvious, but I've seen way too many people return these because they aren't what they expected.

As for the RAM - yes, you can upgrade it. It's the first thing that most people do, but it cannot be done on the 2G model, as it is soldered on. And yes, it just uses regular SODIMM - we sell it for like 20 bucks for a 1GB stick.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Hatred

These are sweet, pretty low resolution but for what they are built for its perfect. I've heard that Starcraft works quite well on them.
    -U

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Originally posted by HyperZell
    CaptainReboot, I've sold lots of these things, and the thing you absolutely have to be clear on is what it can and can't do. It won't be a blazing fast multimedia machine, or a gaming laptop. I know it sounds obvious, but I've seen way too many people return these because they aren't what they expected.

As for the RAM - yes, you can upgrade it. It's the first thing that most people do, but it cannot be done on the 2G model, as it is soldered on. And yes, it just uses regular SODIMM - we sell it for like 20 bucks for a 1GB stick.
    Yes, I only plan on using this for email, and some internet surfing. I don't expect much else from it.

Hyperzell, where are you selling them? I'm assuming the best deal would be to get the 4GB and then getting the 1GB stick, rather than buying the 8GB for 100 bucks more.

My Ride
    '12 G37x, '08 Dodge Grand Caravan

Who sells these and what are the different prices?

Thanks
    "Nice guys finish last, AWESOME guys finish on her face" -Charlie Sheen

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by CaptainReboot

Yes, I only plan on using this for email, and some internet surfing. I don't expect much else from it.

Hyperzell, where are you selling them? I'm assuming the best deal would be to get the 4GB and then getting the 1GB stick, rather than buying the 8GB for 100 bucks more.
    I work at Memory Express, actually. I've already had some pretty satisfied customers from Beyond, so I'll be more than willing to help you out. There are two 4G models: the 4G Surf, which retails for $350, and the 4G, which has a webcam and goes for $400. Yes, the webcam is the only difference.

In response to other pricing questions, the 2G Surf goes for $300, and the 8G for $500.

I picked one of these up at the NW memory express and so far it has been awesome... I got the 4G surf model. I haven't upgraded the ram or anything but all I picked it up for was for web surfing and it is fast enough... The linux operating system is super intuitive so I'm not sure I'll even do the xp install. the wireless interface seems to work really well also even for things like skype. can't really beat it for the price I figure.

the worst thing was the guy at memory express trying to talk me out of buying one... I explained that I wasn't into gaming but he was saying it wouldn't even be able to watch videos or listen to music on it, both of which work perfectly fine. he just wouldn't let up and actually seemed annoyed that I was buying one against his advice...

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by Lanks
    I picked one of these up at the NW memory express and so far it has been awesome... I got the 4G surf model. I haven't upgraded the ram or anything but all I picked it up for was for web surfing and it is fast enough... The linux operating system is super intuitive so I'm not sure I'll even do the xp install. the wireless interface seems to work really well also even for things like skype. can't really beat it for the price I figure.

the worst thing was the guy at memory express trying to talk me out of buying one... I explained that I wasn't into gaming but he was saying it wouldn't even be able to watch videos or listen to music on it, both of which work perfectly fine. he just wouldn't let up and actually seemed annoyed that I was buying one against his advice...
    Do you remember who you spoke to?

I've talked one or two people out of these as well, but only because I've taken the time to gauge their needs and expectations and discovered that the EEE PC would not work well for them. People get too locked in on how cheap they are without having realistic expectations.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Originally posted by HyperZell

I work at Memory Express, actually. I've already had some pretty satisfied customers from Beyond, so I'll be more than willing to help you out. There are two 4G models: the 4G Surf, which retails for $350, and the 4G, which has a webcam and goes for $400. Yes, the webcam is the only difference.

In response to other pricing questions, the 2G Surf goes for $300, and the 8G for $500.
    Thanks for the info. I was trying to figure out the difference between the two 4GB versions. On the Memory Express site, it said the battery life for the $350 one is only 2.8 hours compared to 3.5 for the $400 version. Is that true?

My Ride
    '12 G37x, '08 Dodge Grand Caravan

so the 4G surf would be the best bang for the buck?

Do these only come with linux or can it come pre-loaded with xp?

Do you have these in stock?

Thanks
    "Nice guys finish last, AWESOME guys finish on her face" -Charlie Sheen

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by CaptainReboot

Thanks for the info. I was trying to figure out the difference between the two 4GB versions. On the Memory Express site, it said the battery life for the $350 one is only 2.8 hours compared to 3.5 for the $400 version. Is that true?

Not that I know of - I think the battery life should be very similar. Really though, you just have to decide on if you want a webcam. I'm selling a black one to a customer who wanted to have it, so it's really up to you.

Originally posted by crewchaud
    so the 4G surf would be the best bang for the buck?

Do these only come with linux or can it come pre-loaded with xp?

Do you have these in stock?

Thanks
    Yes, these come pre-loaded with Linux. If you like, you can purchase a copy of XP ($85) and use that, or if you already own a copy use that one instead. I do have most of these in stock, depending on what you were looking for - they come in black or white. I only have 1 black with webcam right now, and it could be sold at any time, although I can always request more in.

If you guys appreciate my help, I'm happy. All I ask is that you come to see me if you are going to purchase something - not a lot to ask!

My Ride
    Busa

I've setup quite a few of these machines. I first introduced them to the CEO of my company, and he loves it. Compared to the big ass laptop he use to haul around with him, it's a god send.

Not too long ago I bought my own, a 4G Galaxy Black model. The great thing about these machines is that they're incredibly easy to mod. I've added an internal 32GB thumb drive, a bluetooth adapter and a GPS receiver.

The main reason I bought one of these was for my bike trips. It saves a lot of space bringing this thing instead of my laptop. With the addition of the GPS receiver it has become an invaluable tool on my trips.

The motherboard soldered to the internal USB hub:

Closeup of the USB hub:

GPS antenna and Bluetooth adapter embedded in the LCD screen:

u can't watch video and listen to music on them?

My Ride
    Busa

The MemEx sales guys are pretty brutal. There was one point in their history when the store catered more towards IT professionals and sold at pretty much wholesale prices. Now it's basically a smaller version of Future Shop. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm in there buying, they always try and up sell me one thing or another.

The current staff is not very knowledgeable either. Some of the conversations I overhear while in that store make used car salesmen seem like saints. A perfect example is your experience. The thing has fucking speakers and a web cam built-in, like hell it won't do video and music. Who does that guy think he's fooling?

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

The MemEx sales guys are pretty brutal. There was one point in their history when the store catered more towards IT professionals and sold at pretty much wholesale prices. Now it's basically a smaller version of Future Shop. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm in there buying, they always try and up sell me one thing or another.

The current staff is not very knowledgeable either. Some of the conversations I overhear while in that store make used car salesmen seem like saints. A perfect example is your experience. The thing has fucking speakers and a web cam built-in, like hell it won't do video and music. Who does that guy think he's fooling?
    Whoa, let's keep the generalizations at a minimum here. While it sounds like you might've had a few bad experiences with Memory Express, let me at least say that the majority of us provide excellent customer service, complete with product knowledge and helpful advice.

One thing I have heard a lot lately is that service is slipping, but mostly regarding the South store or perhaps the NE store. I work at the NW store, and so far it's been almost nothing but praise for the level of service we offer. I upsell all the time, but I also downsell too. It's not for the sake of making more money - it makes almost no difference to me whether or not you buy a $100 case or a $150 one, as it's pennies to my bottom line.

What I try to do is identify your needs, and if I feel that the product you requested won't meet your needs, then I'll recommend another one. You'd be surprised at how many people I talk down, because I don't think they need what they're asking for - DDR3 RAM is a perfect example. I had a guy hand me a build for like $2000 with DDR3 RAM, and I talked him out of it. He spent $1600, saved cash and was damn happy about it.

So please, don't paint all of us with the same brush =)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Do these come with an OS preinstalled?

EDIT: NVM, see that it comes with Linux.

Will the basic model be sufficient for Word Processing? I hate carting my effing laptop to class.
    Last edited by A790; 03-25-2008 at 10:36 PM.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by A790
    Do these come with an OS preinstalled?

EDIT: NVM, see that it comes with Linux.

Will the basic model be sufficient for Word Processing? I hate carting my effing laptop to class.
    Not a problem, it's perfect for that. The EEE PC is meant for quick and simple applications on the road, exactly like word processing or checking email.

Keep in mind, like I said before, it definitely has its limitations. Storage space, for example, and no CD-ROM, for another.

My Ride
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350

I have the 4G model, got it Nov 4 as a birthday present to myself. Personally, I love it. I am a power user. However, I have a G5, macbook, and homebuilt core 2 duo at home for that. For quick documents, email, web, videos on the plane. Its perfect. This thing fits great into my backup, and I take it EVERYWHERE. The Surf does have a shorter battery life, as it has less mAh. One note, if you plan on installing XP... see if its possible to get your hands on Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PC's... its much quicker than regular XP. On that note, does bluetooth work OOTB on xandros? I plugged my bluetooth into it to get my 3G connection from my Razr, but it wouldn't recognize it. Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu see it as a generic adapter.

Also, for the MemEx NW store. I spend way too much money there, and they are always willing to help. Especially on special order items like barcode scanners and thermal printers. They also seem to always have the parts that I need for business in stock.
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4Matic
    2009 Smart ForTwo "Passion"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast