Quantcast
Prayer or Doctor? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prayer or Doctor?

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Default Prayer or Doctor?

Bible thumping parents pray instead of taking their girl to the doctor, she dies.

I think they should be charged with murder.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080328/...dmpFaJ0fgDW7oF

By ROBERT IMRIE, Associated Press Writer
    Thu Mar 27, 9:14 PM ET

WESTON, Wis. - Police are investigating an 11-year-old girl's death from an undiagnosed, treatable form of diabetes after her parents chose to pray for her rather than take her to a doctor.

An autopsy showed Madeline Neumann died Sunday of diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition that left too little insulin in her body, Everest Metro Police Chief Dan Vergin said.

She had probably been ill for about a month, suffering symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, excessive thirst, loss of appetite and weakness, the chief said Wednesday, noting that he expects to complete the investigation by Friday and forward the results to the district attorney.

The girl's mother, Leilani Neumann, said that she and her family believe in the Bible and that healing comes from God, but that they do not belong to an organized religion or faith, are not fanatics and have nothing against doctors.

She insisted her youngest child, a wiry girl known to wear her straight brown hair in a ponytail, was in good health until recently.

"We just noticed a tiredness within the past two weeks," she said Wednesday. "And then just the day before and that day (she died), it suddenly just went to a more serious situation. We stayed fast in prayer then. We believed that she would recover. We saw signs that to us, it looked like she was recovering."

Her daughter — who hadn't seen a doctor since she got some shots as a 3-year-old, according to Vergin — had no fever and there was warmth in her body, she said.

The girl's father, Dale Neumann, a former police officer, said he started CPR "as soon as the breath of life left" his daughter's body.

Family members elsewhere called authorities to seek help for the girl.

"My sister-in-law, she's very religious, she believes in faith instead of doctors ...," the girl's aunt told a sheriff's dispatcher Sunday afternoon in a call from California. "And she called my mother-in-law today ... and she explained to us that she believes her daughter's in a coma now and she's relying on faith."

The dispatcher got more information from the caller and asked whether an ambulance should be sent.

"Please," the woman replied. "I mean, she's refusing. She's going to fight it. ... We've been trying to get her to take her to the hospital for a week, a few days now."

The aunt called back with more information on the family's location, emergency logs show. Family friends also made a 911 call from the home. Police and paramedics arrived within minutes and immediately called for an ambulance that took her to a hospital.

But less than an hour after authorities reached the home, Madeline — a bright student who left public school for home schooling this semester — was declared dead.

She is survived by her parents and three older siblings.

"We are remaining strong for our children," Leilani Neumann said. "Only our faith in God is giving us strength at this time."

The Neumanns said they moved from California to a modern, middle-class home in woodsy Weston, just outside Wassau in central Wisconsin, about two years ago to open a coffee shop and be closer to other relatives. A basketball hoop is set up in the driveway.

Leilani Neumann said she and her husband are not worried about the investigation because "our lives are in God's hands. We know we did not do anything criminal. We know we did the best for our daughter we knew how to do."
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

what I don't understand about situations like this: If God created everything, didn't he/she create doctors, and modern medicine, and drugs etc etc etc?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by lint
    what I don't understand about situations like this: If God created everything, didn't he/she create doctors, and modern medicine, and drugs etc etc etc?
    Nope, the devil created those things to lead you away from the Lord Almighty, AMEN.

Originally posted by lint
    Absolutely. Having faith in God and seeking medical treatment aren't mutually exclusive, these people are just idiots.

It's like that joke about the guy who's trapped on his roof during a flood. The water keeps rising, and some guy on a boat comes and tells him to get in, but the guy says "no, I'll wait for god to help me". The water gets even higher, and another guy on a boat comes to help him, but he again refuses, opting instead to wait for god to save him. Finally the water is up to his neck and a guy in a helicopter lands next to him and tells him to get in, but he still refuses. He drowns. Then he says to god "Why didn't you save me?" God says "I tried. I sent two guys on a boat and even a helicopter"...

It's so sad when people die due to misguided idiocy.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Yes, they should absolutely be charged, and convicted, with murder in the first.

FWIW, many states have passed legislation that exempts parents from being held accountable for the suffering or death of their children if they can base it on religious beliefs.
    It originally started because certain superstitious sects didn't want the government immunizing their kids, but it's been used by JW's, mormons, and other whackjobs, as a loophole to let their kids die instead of receiving medical treatment.

I see no significant difference between assholes who let their kids die because of their superstitions, and assholes who put their kids in the microwave because they're crying.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

Yeah thats bullshit, I dont understand those bible thumping freaks. Like i'm Catholic and I dont even get it
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Fucking IDIOTS.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

what the fuck is happening to our world
    Cos...

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

The parents would have made a good addition to a cult.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Natural selection.

^^^

Bingo!!!

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Natural selection.
    It'd be natural selection if the parents died. She was just a victim

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

someone find me the phone number of these people
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Originally posted by Antonito

Well, technically her genetics weren't good enough to allow her to survive to be able to pass on said genetic material. All medicine and other advancements do is help prevent nature from thinning the herd.

Originally posted by Antonito

No, natural selection works by filtering out bad genes/memes. The parents killed their kid, so their line of shit memes will not be passed on.

+1 for humanity. Shitty for the girl, you have no choice who your parents will be. Hopefully they don't have another kid, or someone gives them a gift certificate to the abortion clinic.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Not natural selection, in the biological sense.

Genetics didn't make these people morons, religion did. While these religious beliefs may, indeed, stem from genetic remnants of a past time where such beliefs were biologically advantageous, I've no doubt that these people have the capability to reason. They just choose not to.

Religion, not science, killed this girl.

[musing]
    If you really think about it, god (for lack of a better word) does indeed exist for these people. Of course, not in the sense of the Abrahamic god of their dogma. He exists as the personification of a system of belief who's only tangible, quantifiable effect on their lives has been to kill their daughter.

There is no god, and any attempt to try to conjure one, ultimately, ends in misery, death, and oppression.
    [/musing]
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

Originally posted by Super_Geo

No, natural selection works by filtering out bad genes/memes. The parents killed their kid, so their line of shit memes will not be passed on.

+1 for humanity. Shitty for the girl, you have no choice who your parents will be. Hopefully they don't have another kid, or someone gives them a gift certificate to the abortion clinic.
    There are lots of people who get the recessive genes from their idiot parents and turn out to be decent human beings. This had nothing to do with her genetic makeup and was just flat out murder

My Ride

Poor kid, is funny how the mother saids "they do not belong to an organized religion or faith, are not fanatics and have nothing against doctors" yet the kid hasn't seen a doctor since she was 3

My Ride
    Jetta

Absolutely. Having faith in God and seeking medical treatment aren't mutually exclusive, these people are just idiots.
    Amen to that, if you'll pardon the pun :p

There is no god, and any attempt to try to conjure one, ultimately, ends in misery, death, and oppression.
    Okay there, Nietzsche!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast