Quantcast
92 mx3 klze swap - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 92 mx3 klze swap

Default 92 mx3 klze swap

So i have just done this swap, and the new engine ticks like hell. JDM source says that this is normal and will go away with driving it. they say it is the hydraulic lifters because they have gone without oil for so long that it take time to get them lubricated again.

sounds a little fishy to me, i've done engine swaps before and never had a noise like this. i'm afraid the engine will explode!

anyone else had this?

thanks
    Dave

My Ride
    1996 mx3 GS

Default lifters

If its the hydraulic lifters then its a ticking noise in the head and should go away within 10 minutes or so , make sure that the oil level has been topped up properly as well after inital startup. Its a common deal on engines with hydraulic lifters to tick for a lil bit upon startup if the engine has been sitting for a while, but like I said it should not take long for it to stop.
    Life is to short for BS

My Ride
    YZ250

You got about a 50-50 chance of it correcting.

i thought it should be more like 10 min too, but these guys are saying idle it for 2 hours and it will improve. then as you drive it it will go away eventually....

i haven't run it yet haven't had the time but it sounds like it going to grenade. it has been run for about 10 min on and off but still there...

My Ride
    1996 mx3 GS

Default oil pressure

can you get a readout on the oil pressure? Hydraulic lifter depend on oil pressure for good lubrication and for filling. You can try an engine flush but I highyl recommend that if you do that you ensure that you keep a very close eye on the oil pressure as sludge thats left over after the flush can plug up the oil sump. Usually after a flush you will need to pull the oil pan and clean it out after about 1000 kms after the flush. Seafoam is a great product for the flush if you want a good 1.
    Life is to short for BS

Jw did you compression test the engine?

My Ride
    00 Protege

Default Re: oil pressure

Originally posted by Newfiedan
    can you get a readout on the oil pressure? Hydraulic lifter depend on oil pressure for good lubrication and for filling. You can try an engine flush but I highyl recommend that if you do that you ensure that you keep a very close eye on the oil pressure as sludge thats left over after the flush can plug up the oil sump. Usually after a flush you will need to pull the oil pan and clean it out after about 1000 kms after the flush. Seafoam is a great product for the flush if you want a good 1.

I don't think he'll want to rev it at 3500 rpm for 20 minutes if he's been afraid to run it for ten minutes at idle.

Check you oil pressure.

These engines usually do have a terrible issue with HLA noise. I gotta head to school but I will find an old resource that had a bunch of information about it......

My Ride
    1996 mx3 GS

Default klze

yeah actually I gotta agree with mazda maniac on that 1, to flush it you will need to rev it a bit. The mx-3.com site might have some better info for you on the klze as there are lots of guys on there who have done the swap. There is also an online manual for the 1.8 v6 which might have some relevant info for you. Do you think that you could get a short vid with sound of it so that we can actually hear it for ourselves? Post it on utube if you can.
    Life is to short for BS

A good way to get rid of the hla ticking [or whatever you would rather call it] drain your oil, upo refill [4.3L IIRC] put 1L of any decent atf and the rest some regualr crappy oil eg Castrol GTX.
    Run it for 10-15 minutes drive around slowly if you like. Then drain it and do a normal oil change.
    Should be a lot quieter.

thanks guys. when i get some time i will try running it a bit more. i will try to get a video of it so you can hear the death rattle. and i will let you know how it turns out! either it will go away or there will be a big bang...

Dave

My Ride
    00 Protege

Sadly the site I was thinking of has been taken down.

My Ride
    00 Protege

I would look into TSB's if you are capable of it for the KL02 or KL03(USDM Spec of KLZE). I'll look today for you as well, hopefully I'll come up with more for you than yesterday.

My Ride
    1996 mx3 GS

Default tsbs

I have access to the ford dvd that outlines the repair procedures for the probes that are 96+ they were the same all throughtout pretty much so if you need a repair procedure just let me know.
    Life is to short for BS

My Ride
    YZ250

The best resources for that engine are www.probetalk.com and www.mx-3.com and the online shop manual for the k8 is here http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/index.ph...p%20Manual/D2/

All K series are so similar that manual should do you just fine for schematics,procedures and torque specs etc.

Helluva swap for such a light car! Hope it all works out for you man and you have a blast !
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Aristo-gasm

I have a klze swapped mx3.....Ive talked about ticking on mx3.com.....it seems like its a common issue on these engines....I will notice a lil ticking sometimes but its done it since I got the car a couple years ago.......my oil pressure is perfect and change my oil regularly....it kinda sucks but Ive been told its nothing to worry about (lol gotta love those words)

but yah....tiss an awesome swap.....these engines sound amazing too!