Quantcast
Hawaii, Honolulu, Maui, etc. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Hawaii, Honolulu, Maui, etc.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Hawaii, Honolulu, Maui, etc.

Ok, so I have read all of the threads here with the word Hawaii in them.

I would like to get some more recent opinions.

Where do you stay? Most Hotels in the Waikiki Area are $200-$300 a night.

I want to stay at a place that is at least a 4.5 - 5 star. I want to avoid any hotel that is close to the clubbing district cause I would rather not hear people partying until 3 am. It doesn't have to be right on the beach. I don't want to stay at any place that has a "new wing" and an "old wing". Everything should be new and the experience the same no matter what wing you are in.

I am thinking of staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Is this a good hotel? Thought about the Moana Surf rider next door, but the reviews on trip advisor say otherwise.

Anybody stay at the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki?

Maui is more expensive as I understand it. Is it worth it?

Now, what do you do?

Pearl Harbour I hear is a must. As is the Luau. Turtle bay? I have read the Zoo is a bore, wouldn't go anyway. Anything else recommended?

Hanauma Bay is cool!

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

the trek up diamondhead is sweet

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: Hawaii, Honolulu, Maui, etc.

Originally posted by benyl
    Ok, so I have read all of the threads here with the word Hawaii in them.

I would like to get some more recent opinions.

Where do you stay? Most Hotels in the Waikiki Area are $200-$300 a night.

I want to stay at a place that is at least a 4.5 - 5 star. I want to avoid any hotel that is close to the clubbing district cause I would rather not hear people partying until 3 am. It doesn't have to be right on the beach. I don't want to stay at any place that has a "new wing" and an "old wing". Everything should be new and the experience the same no matter what wing you are in.

I am thinking of staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Is this a good hotel? Thought about the Moana Surf rider next door, but the reviews on trip advisor say otherwise.

Anybody stay at the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki?

Maui is more expensive as I understand it. Is it worth it?

Now, what do you do?

Pearl Harbour I hear is a must. As is the Luau. Turtle bay? I have read the Zoo is a bore, wouldn't go anyway. Anything else recommended?
    Why spend the extra money on a 4-5 star Hotel when you will never be in it other then to sleep. Save your money and go with a 3 star, it won't be any different other then the lobbies in the 4 and 5 star hotels are bigger and fancier...LOL. The rooms are no different.

My GF, little girl and myself stayed here.

http://www.aquaresorts.com/aqua-waikiki-wave/

Its a 3star hotel, and was just fine. This particular hotel also gives you a free night for every 5 nights you stay.

The best Luau bar none is Paradise Cove if you are doing Oahu. I've had many friends do Maui and they said the Luau's aren't that great.

Check out my thread here on our time in Oahu. I took a ton of photos.

http://www.performance-shop.com/yabb...6605#msg396605

The things I enjoyed most were the Luau and body surfing. My favorite spots for body surfing was Sandy Beach and Lanikai beach.

You will need a rental car to get to either of these places. We never went to Pearl Harbour, that area of town looked old and run down, wasn't very appealing.

Another cool thing to do would be the wild dolphin swim. They take you out on a boat to areas where Dolphins hang out. You can get in the water with wild Dolphins which would pretty cool IMO.

My favorite restaurant was Roy's, awesome food, awesome atmosphere. http://www.roysrestaurant.com/

A great place to shop for cool shorts and shirts is Quicksilver right by the International Market. I bought a new pair of shorts and shirt each day. Wicked designs and the prices were half what they are here in Calgary.

If you like snorkeling I suggest Hanauma Bay, its just after the turn off to Diamond Head.

We are heading to Oahu again this year, this time for 10nights instead of just 7, its my home away from home...LOL.

I considered Maui, but everyone I talk to says its rather quiet after 10pm, no nightlife. Waikiki at night is awesome!

B
    Last edited by 89coupe; 03-31-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Don't go during the rainy season. Trust me

i stayed at the hilton hawaiian village, very pleased with the stay, and its right on the beach

like above mentioned hanauma bay is a must... go on a calm day tho otherwise u wont see shit, and go early morning when the tide is somewhat still in, i tore up my chest on the reef... not fun

diamond head was a lil dissapointing, although the view of the ocean at the top is unreal! make sure to take surf lessons, go to the north shore for a day and watch the surfers out there.... NUTS!

oo and while your there take the shark cage tour... again on the north shore!

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Antonito
    Don't go during the rainy season. Trust me
    When is the rainy season?

Originally posted by 89coupe

When is the rainy season?
    Actually it's just ending, it's technically October to the end of March, but it's mostly in the fall and February and March (especially March) when you'll get enough rain to ruin a vacation. Even in the summer there'll be little patches of rain, but those are little 15 minute sun showers. When I went March of 2006, and my friend went March of 2003, we both got heavy, torrential downpours for the entire vacation, all day and night. In a 9 day holiday I literally got 5 hours of sun.

But I digress, unless you're waiting till next year or are taking off tommorow, this won't apply to you.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Actually it's just ending, it's technically October to the end of March, but it's mostly in the fall and February and March (especially March) when you'll get enough rain to ruin a vacation. Even in the summer there'll be little patches of rain, but those are little 15 minute sun showers. When I went March of 2006, and my friend went March of 2003, we both got heavy, torrential downpours for the entire vacation, all day and night. In a 9 day holiday I literally got 5 hours of sun.

But I digress, unless you're waiting till next year or are taking off tommorow, this won't apply to you.
    Last year we went from Nov.15 to the 22nd and it was beautiful everyday.

This year we are going Oct.31 to Nov.10th and I can only imagine it will be the same.

Sounds like you were very unlucky.

Last year we went from Nov.15 to the 22nd and it was beautiful everyday.

This year we are going Oct.31 to Nov.10th and I can only imagine it will be the same.

Sounds like you were very unlucky.
    Very unlucky would be if it had happened in June. I played the odds and lost. I shouldn't make it sound like it rains every day from October to May, obviously it doesn't, but during that time there are tropical storm systems, and those can stay for the length of your holiday. Or it can be beautiful the entire time. The problem is that your average person will book the holiday far ahead of time and obviously you can't predict things like that one way or the other.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Very unlucky would be if it had happened in June. I played the odds and lost. I shouldn't make it sound like it rains every day from October to May, obviously it doesn't, but during that time there are tropical storm systems, and those can stay for the length of your holiday. Or it can be beautiful the entire time. The problem is that your average person will book the holiday far ahead of time and obviously you can't predict things like that one way or the other.
    The winter months do rain more, but its always in the mountains and rarely on the coast line during peak hours.

I saw showers everyday when I was there, but they were always in the mountains.

I think you just got really unlucky. Plus, if its raining in one area, guaranteed it won't be raining on another part of the island.

My co-worker just got back from a two week trip in Oahu and he said it was gorgeous.

Checking the current weather forecast its looking pretty damn nice there this week as well.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...299%2C-157.804

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

We are planning on going at the end of May, so I think weather won't be too much of an issue.

Four star hotels can be had on Priceline for $150/night plus taxes etc. Most 3 stars are that price or more for the rack rate.

The nice thing about the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki is that every room is an ocean view, but you are right, we should only be there to sleep.

I want to eat good food. I am sure shopping will be required. I have never been on a touristy vacation. I always have something to do when traveling. This will be the first time with no set plans. Kinda scary and so I want to hit all the must do's.

How was the dinner cruise?

Has anyone done the atlantis submarine tour?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by benyl
    We are planning on going at the end of May, so I think weather won't be too much of an issue.

Four star hotels can be had on Priceline for $150/night plus taxes etc. Most 3 stars are that price or more for the rack rate.

The nice thing about the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki is that every room is an ocean view, but you are right, we should only be there to sleep.

I want to eat good food. I am sure shopping will be required. I have never been on a touristy vacation. I always have something to do when traveling. This will be the first time with no set plans. Kinda scary and so I want to hit all the must do's.

How was the dinner cruise?

Has anyone done the atlantis submarine tour?
    If you followed that link I posted of my trip you would have seen I did most of the touristy stuff...LOL

The Dinner cruise was cheesy and not worth it IMO. The views from the boat were amazing but the Lobster dinner & entertainment was pretty lame.

I would rather spend that $120/person on a nice boat adventure or helicopter ride next time.

We also did the Atlantis submarine cruise and spent the extra on the big sub. It was kind of interesting but I doubt I would do it again.

The pineapple factory was fun to see but again, once was good enough.

I strongly suggest you do the Paradise Cove Luau, it was amazing! Just be sure to spend the extra bucks and opt for the deluxe package, better seats, more drinks and better service.

If you like the water be sure to buy yourself a boogy board and fins. Its make the waves all that more fun.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Hawaii, Honolulu, Maui, etc.

Why spend the extra money on a 4-5 star Hotel when you will never be in it other then to sleep.
    benyl's a baller. He's got what, 5 BMW's now?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: Re: Re: Hawaii, Honolulu, Maui, etc.

Originally posted by rage2

LOL, well if thats the case screw the Hotels and rent a nice house.

Here's a nice example.

http://www.maxsam.com/index.html

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Re: Re: Re: Hawaii, Honolulu, Maui, etc.

Originally posted by rage2

Says the guy who just bought a GTI and pimped it out even before breaking it in.

I only have 2 BMWs... And only one of them is turbo.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hawaii, Honolulu, Maui, etc.

LOL, well if thats the case screw the Hotels and rent a nice house.

Here's a nice example.

http://www.maxsam.com/index.html
    ($3,571/night)

I did a week in Waikiki and a week in Maui and i would only go back to Maui if it was free. Wiakiki is extremly touristy but it was way better than maui. Waikiki has lot's to do and if you stay at the outrigger you'll be in a prime location, there's the beach and lot's of shopping right at your door step. I went to Pearl harbor and didnt really enjoy it but if you've got some time you might as well check it out. Maui is the complete opposite from waikiki, it's very laid back and there aint much to do except lay by the pool. We stayed at the westin maui and the beach in front wasn't all that great. Make sure you get a rental car though and you have to check out Hanauma bay for snorkelling but go early cause it can get full fast. Also bring your own snorkel cause the rental shit there is gross.

I was there last year for my Honeymoon. Maui is alot more relaxing and quieter which I like better. We stay at the Hyatt (http://maui.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp) and it was great. It's quiet, the beach is right behind the hotel, the sushi is pretty good in there too. Only thing is eating/drinking in the hotel is pretty expensive. Also if you like french food make sure go to http://www.chezpaul.net/ one of the best french I have pretty expensive I think dinner was $300 USD for 2
    If you like to relax and stay by the beach for the whole day u can stay at Maui and fly to Wiakiki for a couple days for shopping.
    at Wiakiki I stayed at the Hyatt as well it's not as nice but it close by the beach and all the shopping mall and alot of good japanese food