Quantcast
Beyond folding@home team - use your idle cpu to contribute to disease research - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond folding@home team - use your idle cpu to contribute to disease research

My Ride
    Model S

Default Beyond folding@home team - use your idle cpu to contribute to disease research

So since there are no games for PS3, I decided to put it to good use with the folding@home client Anyway, I figured with all of our members, we should be able to make a pretty good contribution to the folding@home project between all of the idle computers, servers, and PS3s that members have.

For those unfamiliar with the project...

By using your idle computers, you can install a screensaver that will perform calculations for the Stanford University protein folding simulation project. This information is used to better understand how proteins assemble themselves and to research diseases such as cancer, Huntington's disease, cystic fibrosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, sickle-cell disease (drepanocytosis), Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, BSE (mad cow disease).

Even though though it takes the human body as little as a millionth of a second to assemble a protein, it still takes a modern computer about 30 years to accomplish the same thing. This project combines the computing power of all the participating computers and playstations around the world to make a massive distributed supercomputer, which is now able to accomplish this in less than a microsecond.

Since everyone tends to leave their computers running 24/7, you can set it to participate in the project when you aren't using it. There are clients for every major operating system, and the PS3 ships with one by default. The PS3 contributions are extremely powerful, so those help a lot.

Protein research is is particularly important because most diseases are manifested at the level of protein activity. It's also one of the most challenging computational problems of our era (in terms of raw power).

Accurate simulations of protein folding and misfolding enable the scientific community to better understand the development of many diseases, including sickle-cell disease (drepanocytosis), Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, BSE (mad cow disease), cancer, Huntington's disease, cystic fibrosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, and other aggregation-related diseases. More fundamentally, understanding the process of protein folding — how biological molecules assemble themselves into a functional state — is one of the outstanding problems of molecular biology. So far, the Folding@Home project has successfully simulated folding in the 5-10 microsecond range — a time scale thousands of times longer than it was previously thought possible to model. The Pande Group goal is to refine and improve the MD and Folding@Home DC methods to the level where it will become an essential tool for the MD research. For that goal they collaborate with various scientific institutions. As of December 13, 2007, fifty-four scientific research papers have been published using the project's work. A University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign report dated October 22, 2002 states that Folding@Home distributed simulations of protein folding are demonstrably accurate.
    Download the screensaver/client here: http://folding.stanford.edu/

Beyond.ca Folding@Home Team Number is: 120501 - Anyone that runs a client, put this number in your folding client where it asks for the Team ID, and your stats will be counted as part of the team.

Beyond.ca folding team statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...teamnum=120501

Team rankings:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...type=teamstats

hell, if rage2 contributes all the PS3s in his house, we will probably cure cancer by next week We should at least be able to beat mustangworld...and they're in the top 100!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Re: Beyond folding@home team - use your idle cpu to contribute to disease research

Originally posted by googe

hell, if rage2 contributes all the PS3s in his house, we will probably cure cancer by next week We should at least be able to beat mustangworld...and they're in the top 100!
    I think rage2 only has one PS3. XBOX360... he must have at least a dozen!

I have two servers and PS3 at home that are always on. I will sign up when I get home.

My Ride
    Model S

Ah, I thought he said he has 2-3 so every TV can have a blu-ray player

I don't think MS will release a 360 folding client, they probably don't want any more overheats/returns...

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Downloaded/installed/running.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

I dont really understand this, sorry. so i install a Screen saver, it calculates shit and sends the results to a company?
    i would like to participate, ive got 2 computers running 24/7 at home soo...

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by snowboard
    I dont really understand this, sorry. so i install a Screen saver, it calculates shit and sends the results to a company?
    i would like to participate, ive got 2 computers running 24/7 at home soo...
    yep, just sign up and install the screen saver.

it will download infos, calculate it, and send it back, only while the screen saver's running, this has been around for years
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

I was wondering what that was on ps3 .. I will probably do it

My Ride
    335i

In.

So I have a red gear icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen. What now?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Model S

To oversimplify it, your screensaver will contact the servers at stanford university and download a "work unit". Basically a really big math problem. Your computer calculates it, sends the answer back, and asks for a new problem.

Doesn't require any action on your part. When you install the program you can enter a username (enter any name you want, don't have to register or anything) and a team ID. Put the beyond team ID in there and you'll show up in the list next time the stats update. They take a while to update, but you'll see your name and how much you've contributed eventually.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I'm in, I'll run it from a few machines at the office too.
    Travel

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    In.

So I have a red gear icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen. What now?
    Click on that red gear and go to "configure". In the window that pops up, you'll find where to enter a name and team ID. If you double click the gear, it'll show your current stats, and a 3d image of the protein you are currently folding. I don't know the first thing about biology or what a 3d representation of a protein is, but it looks neat.

My Ride
    Model S

No one is showing up in the team list yet, I am guessing that it will update once your work unit is completed. On a PS3 this takes about 8 hours apparently.

Another important thing, make sure you choose a unique name. Otherwise, your stats will be combined with whoever else is using that name, and you'll have no way to differentiate the two. So if 5 people choose Tom, it'll think they are all 1 person, and count them together. You CAN use your same name on multiple computers, however.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

I'll switch mine to beyond.ca soon

My Ride
    MB C63

installed and running all the time

Mine says 30 minutes until frame end and theres 50 frames...thats 25 hours!!! haha if the ps3 can do it in 8 hours thats pretty impressive

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

lol. i'll do it as soon as i get home today

My Ride
    ST184

Downloaded and installed

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i'll try when i get home, put that new quad core 2.4Ghz to good use
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

done and running

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

scratch that, im running vista and it looks like it runs when im using the computer rather than just when the screensaver pops up....anyone else with this prob? the screensaver settings in config are greyed out

i got 2 dual 2.4ghz xeon servers sitting beisde me... maybe I should hook them up and boost beyond's score :x

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast