Quantcast
air pump question on rotary engine - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: air pump question on rotary engine

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Default air pump question on rotary engine

My friends 2nd gen Mazda RX-7, has an air pump (HOW COME????), well anyways, the air pump outlet hose is sticking out, where does it hook up to? intake??, can u help!!.......thanks!

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

its for pollution, it really doesnt do anything. PM ecstasyracer, he can give you the scoupe.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

thanks, i pm'd him

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

right on

The pump is used to cool the catalytic converter, so it does do something. That is unless you've removed the cat. Now if you've removed the cat you will have a problem with the 6 ports opening. Lots of guy's will use the airpump to actuate the 6 ports, or you can wire the 6 ports wide open. If you do not do something with the six ports you will loose a considerable amount power. All of this is for the n/a model, the turbo model does not have 6 ports so provided you removed the cat, you can remove the airpump with no ill effects.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 08-15-2003 at 09:38 AM.

My Ride
    FC3S T2

HAHAHAHA I know this thread is OLDER than George Burns... but I have the same question about my Turbo II

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    The pump is used to cool the catalytic converter, so it does do something. That is unless you've removed the cat. Now if you've removed the cat you will have a problem with the 6 ports opening. Lots of guy's will use the airpump to actuate the 6 ports, or you can wire the 6 ports wide open. If you do not do something with the six ports you will loose a considerable amount power. All of this is for the n/a model, the turbo model does not have 6 ports so provided you removed the cat, you can remove the airpump with no ill effects.
    So, this weekend my buddy and I are gonna put in an intake and electric fan. We are kind clueless with the electric fan, but for the intake we got the adapter and filter. Were just gonna bolt it on.

Now, the tube comming from the air box to the air-pump is sucking air in. Should we buy one of those "mini air-filters" from Canadian tire and just strap it on to the end? Will dirty air affect the air pump? Could it damage anything?

Just a few questions... can someone please answer!! Thanks

Ok I'll have to think way back here for ya

If you decide to keep the airpump then yes a small filter will do the trick.

Now the major restriction with the stock intake is the "s" shaped intake tube called the TID turbo inlet duct. My suggestion is as follows.

Go to a muffler shop buy a piece of tubing 3" diameter with a 45 degree bend. Buy a silicon reducer from Mopac. Use the reducer from the inlet of the turbo to the tube (cut the tube to the right length). Now from the tube to the MAF (mas airflow sensor) use a silicone coupler and some hose clamps. Then use your adapter bolted to the MAF and then a cone filter. You will need an aftermarket BOV for this or you can put a check valve on the end of your stock BOV.

If that didnt make any sense to you there are some fairly considerable right up's on how to do it on www.rx7club.com you'll just have to search for them.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    FC3S T2

You will need an aftermarket BOV for this or you can put a check valve on the end of your stock BOV.

If that didnt make any sense to you there are some fairly considerable right up's on how to do it on www.rx7club.com you'll just have to search for them.
    Ok, everything made sence up to that point, but why will I need an aftermarket BOV?

Thanks alot

The stock BOV is vented back into the intake. If you replace the intake you can if you like plumb the stock BOV back into the new pipe. But it's a pain in the ass so most people open vent it that is to say vent it to atmosphere. If you open vent it the stock BOV will leak under vacuum because it's not designed to operate that way. So to solve the problem you put a checck valve on the end of the stock BOV to stop the vacuum leak but still allow for the expulsion of excess air. You can pick up all you need to do it at home depot. It's really just easier if you replace the stock BOV with an aftermarket one though. It's easier and not nearly as ghetto.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    FC3S T2

The stock BOV is vented back into the intake. If you replace the intake you can if you like plumb the stock BOV back into the new pipe. But it's a pain in the ass so most people open vent it that is to say vent it to atmosphere. If you open vent it the stock BOV will leak under vacuum because it's not designed to operate that way. So to solve the problem you put a checck valve on the end of the stock BOV to stop the vacuum leak but still allow for the expulsion of excess air. You can pick up all you need to do it at home depot. It's really just easier if you replace the stock BOV with an aftermarket one though. It's easier and not nearly as ghetto.
    Alright, I didnt know that. But a quick question, where is the stock blow off valve vented into the stock intake? Because I took the intake apart today and I didnt notice it.

Ok, its gonna take so much just to do a simple intake lol. Im scared to ask... but whats involved in putting in an after market BOV? (be easy on me!)

Originally posted by RX7_FC3S

Alright, I didnt know that. But a quick question, where is the stock blow off valve vented into the stock intake? Because I took the intake apart today and I didnt notice it.

Ok, its gonna take so much just to do a simple intake lol. Im scared to ask... but whats involved in putting in an after market BOV? (be easy on me!)
    It's not a bad job. Just try and get all the pieces first before you start into it. If memeory serves me right a rubber hose comes from the BOV right back into the TID. Also attached to the TID is a line for crank case ventilation. Don't worry about this line it has a silver check valve on the end and can be left open vented, just zip tie it out of the way, it may spew a little oil every once and awhile no big deal.

Now the aftermarket BOV install kind of depends on the BOV. Some come with a new intake pipe and flange, they are more expensive. Some like Turbo XS can be mounted using the adapter that comes with it and a hose clamp or two.

All this writing makes things sound more complicated than the job actually is. Just make sure of a few things:

1)MAF setup inline the right way.
    2)BOV (stock or not) will not leak under vacuum.

All your doing is replacing the TID. So as long as you put the MAF between the filter and the turbo inlet your good to go. Then just work out where you want the BOV to operate, there's more than one way to do it. IF you understand how the BOV operates you'll be able to understand where you need to put it. Throw a filter on the airpump (or ditch it all together) and your done.

Now with all this said remember doing all this work and freeing up the intake will cause your car to make more boost. Which in turn means you'll need and FCD (fuel cut defencer) and probably more fuel ie) bigger injetors, SAFC etc.

Not to get on a rank here but I have always been a proponent of a standalone EMS being the first mod for FC's turbo car's esspecially. Because then you can ditch the MAF, and you don't have to worry about small mods like this putting the car in danger. I wish my first mod was an EMS. It gives you a good strong base to start from. Whether your building a 500hp monster or you just want more out of your stock turbo. With an EMS you can do anything, swap in bigger injectors, change timing, tune it all safely. If you just start modding the car using the stock ECU you keep patching it with FCD and SAFC nonsense. Had I been smart I might have avoided my frist blown motor.

It's my opinion that if an FC is going to be run in anything but absolutely stock form it should have an aftermarket EMS on it. Fact of the matter is even a car in stock form would benefit greatly from one.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 03-25-2004 at 06:01 PM.
    Toma the homophobe?