Quantcast
UofC English 30-1 75% Average Requirement/Proficiency Test?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UofC English 30-1 75% Average Requirement/Proficiency Test??

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Default UofC English 30-1 75% Average Requirement/Proficiency Test??

Hey Guys,

Ive been told by my teacher that if one does not acquire at least a 75% average in English 30-1 he/she would have to write a proficiency test and score a certain mark. She also said that if you don't pass it right the first time, you're not allowed to pursue a degree whatsoever.

Is it actually true that one test can restrict you from pursuing a better education for good??

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    Grimace

That is true. You have a few opportunities to write the test, but if you do not pass it in your first year, you are not able to register for second year classes. There are two restrictions though iirc, a diploma mark or a final mark, but are different.

Either 80% final mark or 75% (or higher obviously) for the diploma in English 30-1 or you have to write an effective writing test. Don't worry tho, it is really a joke to pass unless you don't speak english. If you somehow fail it, they have it every 2 months anyway so you can keep trying. Also, you can get around registering for 2nd year courses if you haven't passed it yet. I know a few people who have done it.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

So one would have a second opportunity to pass it correct?

I heard the test is pretty easy if you have to write it, but what scared me is that i was told you would only have one chance to pass it.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Originally posted by sabad66
    Either 80% final mark or 75% (or higher obviously) for the diploma in English 30-1 or you have to write an effective writing test. Don't worry tho, it is really a joke to pass unless you don't speak english. If you somehow fail it, they have it every 2 months anyway so you can keep trying. Also, you can get around registering for 2nd year courses if you haven't passed it yet. I know a few people who have done it.
    Sweet haha. to misinformed high school teachers.

My Ride
    Grimace

Yah, you have multiple opportunities to take it. I am sure you would pass it the first time, the length is extremely short and you have a long list of topics to choose from.

My Ride
    G35

Originally posted by Joe-G
    So one would have a second opportunity to pass it correct?

I heard the test is pretty easy if you have to write it, but what scared me is that i was told you would only have one chance to pass it.
    You live in Canada.. theres always a second chance.

Isn't it you only have 3 tries to pass the proficiency test before you are required to withdraw?

I am curious about this too since I am going to u of c this september, and I don't know how hard the test is compare to the english 30 course and the english courses in u of c.

My Ride
    Grimace

the test is really a joke. it is only to see if you can spell and use proper grammar and sentence structure

What could I do to improve what you mentioned? English is not my first language and I did pretty bad on my english 30 (around 60's). I took a course in MRC before and I dropped the course eventually. The grammar taught was pretty intense!

There are a couple of ways to be exempted. Either above 80 course mark, above 75 diploma, or there is a course you can take at the uofc that exempts you if you're really worried. To be honest though, you should be able to do it within the 4 (I think there are 4 chances?) times they offer the test. And I think there is also another exemption, but I can't remember off the top of my head

My Ride
    MK7 Oryx White R, 79 Austin Mini Cooper

fuck i hated the effective writing test. I ended up writing the shit 3 times cause i suck at english. I didnt pass it so i took a poetry course and got a B+ or better. I think taking a course is better. Counts as an option, get credits for it and you dont have to write the effective writing test if you get that B+

My Ride

Weird, i asked my guidance counselor about it because i got a 60 in 30-1 lol... She said that i didn't have to worry about it since i was born in Canada . Its good to hear that its easy though.

Also when i was filling out the application, didn't that section say that they won't even look at your application if you didn't have 80 overall or 75 on the diploma? I submitted it anyways and got accepted

Originally posted by Wraith
    Weird, i asked my guidance counselor about it because i got a 60 in 30-1 lol...She said that i didn't have to worry about it since i was born in Canada

also u can write the effective writing test only three times after that ur kicked out

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Originally posted by Wraith
    Weird, i asked my guidance counselor about it because i got a 60 in 30-1 lol... She said that i didn't have to worry about it since i was born in Canada . Its good to hear that its easy though.

Also when i was filling out the application, didn't that section say that they won't even look at your application if you didn't have 80 overall or 75 on the diploma? I submitted it anyways and got accepted
    She probably meant that you didn't need to worry since the test is a joke to you, being that you speak fluent English.

How hard is this test anyways? Questions about sentence structure, punctuation, etc.?

My Ride
    Grimace

The test is relatively easy. There is a large number of topics, when I wrote it I believe it was at least 10+. The length requirement is quite short. You just write on the topic and have plenty of time to read over it and edit it before you hand it in to check for spelling and other writing elements along with checking your grammar over. Just make sure it sounds alright and that it flows well enough and that it is in the proper essay format and you are set.

My Ride
    an old black cab

I did mine last year and i thought it was pretty easy. They mark you either as pass or fail. You get 5ish topics to choose to write an essay/paper on. Some of the topics i had to choose was "Should robots be an integral part of our lives in the future" or "If you could go to school anywhere in world where would you go" and "What type of environmental problems currently effecting your home country" . Hopefully that gives you some ideas on what's expected.

Unlike what one of the above posters said, the course that exempts you from the test is non-credited. Costs 400ish i believe. Here's there homepage http://www.efwr.ucalgary.ca/
    You can also go to the office and ask them all these questions too and get some tutoring(free i think?) if you bring in some papers that you wrote in the past.

Good luck with it. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you came to Canada within the past few years.

Edit: Forgot to mention i wrote approx. 5 pages. Double spaced so under 1000 words
    Last edited by Everlast; 04-09-2008 at 11:27 PM.

i was half way through second year before i realized i had to write the test, so no its not completely necessary to write it first year

Ohhh back in the days.... aka first yr.....
    Don't sweat it. It's easy!

Originally posted by boxer23

also u can write the effective writing test only three times after that ur kicked out

false.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast