Quantcast
LF: Opinions - backpacking Europe - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: LF: Opinions - backpacking Europe

My Ride
    '97 Integra

Default LF: Opinions - backpacking Europe

So I am backpacking western europe for 2 months this summer. I'm wondering what my best option is for travel. If anyone has experience with Busabout (the hop-on hop-off bus network) or the Eurail pass, your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

My Ride
    02 TL1000R, 14 F150 FX4, 11 XKR 175

Spent 7 weeks in Europe last August and September. If you are going with 2 or more people I would recommend taking a look at the Renault Eurodrive program. Basically, they short term lease you a new car. We (gf and I) had a Renault Scenic with a diesel engine. I don't remember the exact costs, but everything including gas cost somewhere between 2500 and 3000. It gave us huge mobility (put on 10000km) and was pretty close in price to what two Eurorail passes would have cost for that length of time.

Renault was awesome to deal with, you can pick up the car all over Europe, (we started and ended in Amsterdam). For any future long term trips to Europe we are going to go through them again.

My Ride
    '97 Integra

That definately sounds like it would be a great option. Unfortunately I am just going by myself so it would be a bit too pricey. I do know a couple going though so I will pass that info on to them.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Check out Contiki if your going backpacking by yourself, they have "regular" tours, "budget" tours, and new "camping/backpacking" tours.

Join 2/3 shorter ones...or like 1 month long one, then you have an idea of which place you want to go back and see more in-depth (which you can do on your own in the 2nd month there).

Contiki is sweet if you can't find anyone to travel with, but don't want to do it all "alone"...

My Ride
    my bike

my gf was there 2 summers ago and they got the eurail pass, definitely the best option.

Yeah Eurail pass is probably best option if you're not gonna join one of those tours. Train is faster than driving. Public transportation will take you to most interest points. And you would probably wanna walk through the cities and see everything.

You should look into all the cheap airlines in Europe. We went last year and used the EuroRail and enjoyed it, except for the long train rides.

This year we are going to be using cheap airlines. You can get some flights that are just slightly more expensive than a single ride on the rail, but instead of 9 hour train rides you only have to deal with about a 1.5 hour flight. Lets you have more time in each location.

lot polish airlines, airberlin and germanwings are just several of the airlines I remember. You can luck out with some great deals.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

For cheap "charter" flights, check ryanair.com or edreams.com

You can get flights for like $25 all-in.

See this link for a complete list of discount airlines that operate throughout Europe.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Discount_airlines_in_Europe

Travelling by rail would be very relaxing and you get to see more of the countryside, which is always nice. However, if you have a tight schedule, then flying would be the way to go.

My Ride
    2000 Civic SE

Went to Europe last summer and used eurorail, very good experience really easy to follow, but you dont really have a chance to meet anyone. met a ton of people from bus about, defiantly the best option if your going by yourself.. they drop you off at all the best hostels.

My Ride
    Mini

Depending on where you go, Eurorail is a pretty good deal or could be better if you buy individual passes..

I was planning to backpack myself in Eastern Europe this July/August and was thinking of getting an Eastern Europe Pass but I have researched and it may not be a good deal to buy a Pass and just buy the ticket what you need...

My Ride
    '06 300C SRT8, '04 ZX6R

From my 7 weeks in Europe last year, I'd suggest atleast 2 months of travel. Don't do any of those stupid tours, it's a waste of money when you're in Europe cus there are soooo many people there to travel with, you'll hardly ever be alone!

Also, the Eurorail is great for getting around to most places, check out Ryan Air for the longer bus rides to save some time if you want.

Set aside extra time for Paris and Greece cus you'll probably not want to leave!

Don't waste your money on Travellers Checques, most places in Europe(including banks) will charge you anywhere from 7-30% to cash them! Seriously, it pissed me off everytime I needed to cash one. Just use your debit card to take out $500 every time you need money, it only costs $5 every transaction.

Check out TravBuddy.com to meet people from all over the world and possibly find a travel buddy for your trip if you're looking for one! It's a great site! You can just click my sig and it'll take you to the site.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!