Quantcast
boost bomb... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: boost bomb...

My Ride
    -10 F150 Lariat, -10 Fusion SEL awd

Default boost bomb... help: im scared to drive my car

So the other day i removed my boost restricter from my boost selenoid, and removed the silencer, and lower honeycomb from my MAF. Car is running GREAT. but i looked under my hood tonight, and to my surprise a big glowing red manifold. I am pretty damn sure the manifold doesnt glow red stock. should these mods lean out the mixture that much?? anyone have a cheap EGT guage? info would be great...
    Last edited by black_shadow_18; 08-14-2003 at 12:35 AM.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

that's your exhaust manifold turning sooo hot it turns red, which is to be expected since you now upped the boost...be careful how much you up the boost coz turning up the knob is easy but to make your engine last is the hard part...

My Ride

i only uped it like 2psi... i wasnt even boosting when it was this red, i was flying down the highway. you think the cold air would cool it down.. i dont think its right, but its running sooo good. what to do... thanks for the responce. do you own a turbo car rice_eater??

anyone with a dsm out there able to tell me if there manifold glows? I never looked at mine when it was stock, so have no basis for comparison.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX STI IV (E-GC8)

Originally posted by rice_eater
    that's your exhaust manifold turning sooo hot it turns red, which is to be expected since you now upped the boost...be careful how much you up the boost coz turning up the knob is easy but to make your engine last is the hard part...
    yeah Rice knows what he is talking about. if it was that red, can u just imagine how hot it was?!! I'd be really careful .

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

My Ride

i cant imaging 2 psi making that much difference
    i gotta check it out in the morning, thanks for the help... any more insight would be nice

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I have heard stories of manifolds getting sooo hot, that you can actually see the hot side rotor spinning through the manifold...this is an extreme ...was it dark when you looked, or was it in clear day light? most turbo manifolds get VERY hot, to the point of turning slightly red, but that is only if its quite dark out, otherwise you would never even notice. If your manifold was bright red in day light, you are running much too lean...anyway you cut it, you are most likely running lean...I have no idea if this made any sense...hopefully you catch my drift???

My Ride

it was the dead of night out when i looked at the manifold. the coolant temp was still perfect, and underhood temps didnt seeem hot at all, it was just a red manifold. Is it ok for me to be driving the car right now?? i dont want to screw it up.. i cant aford it right now.
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

My Ride

im gonna crank the boost down and drive it today. i gots an interview and need my wheels.... hope the bastard doesnt die on me.. please check my post in the marketplace.. i need guages.
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

Its normal. nothing you did would cause a problem. The mods you did are pretty safe and harmelss.

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthre...light=manifold

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthre...nifold+and+red

PS. Getting gauges is a good idea no matter what. Save your money and dont buy an A/F gauge. Seriously. The boost and egt are needed for sure. Put that $60 that you would of wasted on an A/F gauge and get an SAFC. That comes with an A/F meter. Plus, you can gauge your A/F much better with the EGT than with the stupid gauge.
    Last edited by BigMass; 08-14-2003 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride

thanks BigMass. i borrowed a friends boost guage, but it is in in/HG it goes up to like 20 when i am boosting... what is that in PSI anyone?? thanks.

BTW: BigMass, what do you drive
    C.J.

My Ride

answered myown question here. a cool site for conversions of all types.
    address:
    http://www.mayahtt.com/tmwiz/default.htm
    C.J.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You could be running lean, or very heavily retarded timing due to knock (dsm's have knock sensors?)

Anyways, hot enough to glow like that sucks... means EGT's are very high, and when EGT's are high, it breaks exhaust valves, could melt pistons, turbine housings, exhaust components, you name it.

It'll run great tho until it blows.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2008 CSX Type S, 2008 BMW 335I

Hey if you are interested i am selling my full sweep EGT gauge and boost gauge for $150.00.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
    Hey if you are interested i am selling my full sweep EGT gauge and boost gauge for $150.00.
    that be CHEAP

Originally posted by black_shadow_18

BTW: BigMass, what do you drive
    90' Talon TSI. I have a lot of stuff stuck in my basement needing to be installed. But i dont have a garage or many tools so it's going to take time

My Ride

thanks guys. i appreciate the help. i finally got a job today, so now i can afford to do some more modding... YAH! what to do next... exhaust... yes. exhaust it is, anyone know a good shop?
    C.J.

The amount of money it's going to cost you to custom a stainless exhaust, you might as well get a pre fabbed mandrel bend one. For around $1000 you should be able to get a SS downpipe and catback exhaust such as Thermal RD or Apexi N1. Even the HKS and Greddy aren't that expensive as far as i remember. If you dont care about your exhaust rusting or having mandrel bends, then go to a local exhaust shop. A SS exhaust will outlive your car

Thermal Research & Development hands down ...give Nick a call at Speedtech, he'll help you out.

My Ride

i dont want the exhaust loud tho. i also do not want to have too big a tip and get pulled over and ticketed for it. and i know they do, ive had a few friends get it and they only have like a 3" tip
    C.J.

well my exhaust is 3". They can't give you a ticket if the exhaust piping matches your tip. I've had a thermal on my car for 1 year now and have not had any problems. The tip is 3". Also, if you have a turbo car, the large exhaust wont sound stupid like a Civic with a tip. It will be a low deep sound. It's not anoying at all. I've been pulled over for tint, but the cop didnt even blink at my exhaust.

Bottom line is that you need a 2.5"-3" exhaust. If you dont upgrade the exhaust then all your other mods will suffer. Also if you dont want it louder and are scared having a big tip then you might as well save money and keep your stock exhaust. You can't have less than a 3" tip on a 3" exhaust. No way around it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast