Quantcast
buying new golf clubs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: buying new golf clubs

My Ride
    '01 GC8

Default buying new golf clubs

Just finished hitting some balls down at the bowness driving range and I noticed that it is indeed time to get some new woods. I currently have an old Ping Si3 that is way past its prime and a really old crappy 3 and 5 wood. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into some clubs on the market today that are a good choice for me to buy. I was also looking at some of the previous years models becuase they are alot cheaper.

Also, I was thinking of maybe getting just a driver and like a 4 wood becuase honestly, i never really use my 3 wood. I think that a 4 wood and say a 2 hybrid iron might be a pretty solid combo. Any ideas?

between a 4 wood and 2 hybrid there will not be a huge distance difference. even the loft difference is only 2 degree...typical 4 wood loft is about 16* and typical 2 hybrid loft is 18*. in your long clubs this distance will be negligible.

what handicap do you play to and what is your typical miss? left or right? do you have trouble getting your ball up?

check out the new Ping G10, the Titleist 906f4 and TM burner (Burner TP if you hook the ball or like working it)

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

You consider your Si3 to be old woods? Pfffft......this is what I use.....

When the ball hits the 20 year old maple on the red plastic insert, it's like making love.

I would try to buy slightly used stuff from last year. There are a few golf forums out there (like Beyond) and the marketplace has good deals on stuff.

Last edited by Pacman; 04-15-2008 at 09:51 AM.

My Ride
    '01 GC8

those are some clasic PING's right there ^

i play at about a 10 or so handicap but thats with only playing 5 rounds a year so this year by playing alot i hope to cut that down significantly. I usually hit a slight draw with pretty normal height on my shots. BTW I am left handed
    Last edited by qbrown; 04-15-2008 at 11:12 AM.

My Ride
    Is a GSR EGG

I play the Taylormade R7 425 (the older version, a year or two old). i personally think the 460 and the superquad are too big. But ya i love the driver and so do alot of other people! My dad tried mine once and went out and bought one.

Any thoughts on buying stuff off of Ebay?
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    Any thoughts on buying stuff off of Ebay?
    I've found the golf forums to be cheaper than ebay. I haven't been to the forums for a few years as I hurt my back and haven't played golf for a few seasons.

The two forums I used to frequent were "Toronto Golf Nuts (or spelled Nutz)" and "GEA or Golf Equipment Afficiandos". If you do a google search, they should pop up. I'm on a work computer and can't bring up the google homepage or else I would search it myself.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by qbrown
    i play at about a 10 or so handicap but thats with only playing 5 rounds a year
    Wow...a 10 and you only play 5 times a year?

My Ride
    '01 GC8

well ABOUT 10 ... it depends on the season. Sometimes I play a couple more rounds a year and it would probably fall to around a 12 but keep in mind I plan on playing alot of golf this year and therefore my handicap would fall a bit and it is true that different handicap golfers need different types of clubs. I'm just planning for the future!

My Ride
    94' Terd

Ignore that comment about the loft difference between a 4wood and hybrid. It is incorrect.

Even though there is slight loft difference between the two, it is the length of the club that results in the distance difference. A hybrid with typical 5 wood loft will be an inch or two shorter than a typical 5 wood. Hence why hybrids are typically easier to hit.

Basically the longer the club, the less difference between the lofts is needed to produce the difference distances achieved from each club. That's why if your set is properly built, your PW GW SW LW will all be the same length but have 4* intervals in loft. While the 3 and 4 iron will have 2-3* difference in loft and 1/4 to 2/3" difference in length.

Anyways, I've played competitive golf since I was twelve, and would absolutely NEVER buy a club based on what people on a forum or even a friend says. Go to a golf shop, tell them you are going to buy new clubs, then take them to a range where you can watch the ballflight/try different lies, and decide which is best for you. Most importantly, get custom fit clubs. I guarantee you 90% of the players on the PGA Tour would not endorse the companies that they do if those companies were not able to produce clubs to their specs. It makes more of a difference than you would even imagine.

Check out KZG golf clubs. They are the best custom golf clubs on the market and are reasonably priced. I bought a full set for $1300 custom build and sized. You have to get these clubs fitted and build specifically for you by one of their pros, otherwise they won't sell them to you. I've had Callaways and Pings in the past and they don't even compare.

www.kzgolf.com

Originally posted by DUBBED
    Ignore that comment about the loft difference between a 4wood and hybrid. It is incorrect.

Even though there is slight loft difference between the two, it is the length of the club that results in the distance difference. A hybrid with typical 5 wood loft will be an inch or two shorter than a typical 5 wood. Hence why hybrids are typically easier to hit.

Basically the longer the club, the less difference between the lofts is needed to produce the difference distances achieved from each club. That's why if your set is properly built, your PW GW SW LW will all be the same length but have 4* intervals in loft. While the 3 and 4 iron will have 2-3* difference in loft and 1/4 to 2/3" difference in length.
    that may be true but look at the yardage gap between a 4 wood and a 2 hybrid. currently with a 2 hybrid you can get it out there 230-240, with a 3 wood you'll get a distance range of 250-260ish putting a 4 wood somewhere in there. why would you carry a 4 wood and 2 hybrid? it doesnt make sense. and if you carry a typical set of 8 irons in a 3-p, driver, sand wedge, putter, lob wedge and then you got a choice for two other clubs.

why put in 2 clubs that are similar in yardages? id rather see a gap wedge in that bag.

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

to the op, try the new Adam A3os hybrid/irons....

My Ride
    '01 GC8

yeah a gap wedge would be a really handy tool because i absolutely hate choking down on a PW to try and hit a GW shot

My Ride
    94' Terd

Originally posted by bigboom
    why put in 2 clubs that are similar in yardages? id rather see a gap wedge in that bag.

Different ball flights. Phil Mickleson carried two drivers for about 8 tournament because he could make the same swing and hit a cut with one and hit a draw with the other. Likewise I hit my 3wood and hybrid almost exactly the same distance, but hit a high draw for approach shots with the hybrid, and a low cut off the tee with the 3wood.

That wouldn't make sense for 98% of the golfing community but I'm sure you get my point. Having an extra wedge would definately be more worth it for someone who isn't as strong with distance control, and a solid versatile three wood that is goof off the tee and fairway.

Different ball flights. Phil Mickleson carried two drivers for about 8 tournament because he could make the same swing and hit a cut with one and hit a draw with the other. Likewise I hit my 3wood and hybrid almost exactly the same distance, but hit a high draw for approach shots with the hybrid, and a low cut off the tee with the 3wood.

That wouldn't make sense for 98% of the golfing community but I'm sure you get my point. Having an extra wedge would definately be more worth it for someone who isn't as strong with distance control, and a solid versatile three wood that is goof off the tee and fairway.
    but different ball flights really only come into play when the track you are playing you know there are certain holes that require it and your swing is fine tuned to a point where everytime it is predictable. but i do agree to go get fitted and see what kind of #'s you come up with, that will determine what you are best suited for.

phil had some success with his two drivers but im going to go ahead and say it wasnt the drivers it was that he was playing some of the best golf of his life at that time with something ridiculous at the masters like 90% GIR

My Ride
    94' Terd

That's why I said it doesn't make sense for 98% of the golfing community, me too most of the time. I'm not even consistent enough to say that I need those two flights, but it has worked well for me and I like it. And that's all that really matters.

"that may be true but look at the yardage gap between a 4 wood and a 2 hybrid. currently with a 2 hybrid you can get it out there 230-240, with a 3 wood you'll get a distance range of 250-260ish putting a 4 wood somewhere in there. why would you carry a 4 wood and 2 hybrid? it doesnt make sense. and if you carry a typical set of 8 irons in a 3-p, driver, sand wedge, putter, lob wedge and then you got a choice for two other clubs."

By this logic, you're basically saying carrying a 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW,SW,LW, is pointless because you only have a 10 yard interval between clubs. If you only hit a 3wood 230-240, why not have a club that you can hit 215-225? Chances are it will save you a few shots.

My Ride
    '01 GC8

alright thanks for the info.

Where would I go or who would I call to go and have myself fitted?

That's why I said it doesn't make sense for 98% of the golfing community, me too most of the time. I'm not even consistent enough to say that I need those two flights, but it has worked well for me and I like it. And that's all that really matters.

"that may be true but look at the yardage gap between a 4 wood and a 2 hybrid. currently with a 2 hybrid you can get it out there 230-240, with a 3 wood you'll get a distance range of 250-260ish putting a 4 wood somewhere in there. why would you carry a 4 wood and 2 hybrid? it doesnt make sense. and if you carry a typical set of 8 irons in a 3-p, driver, sand wedge, putter, lob wedge and then you got a choice for two other clubs."

By this logic, you're basically saying carrying a 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW,SW,LW, is pointless because you only have a 10 yard interval between clubs. If you only hit a 3wood 230-240, why not have a club that you can hit 215-225? Chances are it will save you a few shots.
    no but its easier to subsititute clubs for long yardages, ie. grip down an inch on your hybrid even a 3 iron will get you 215, or do a 3/4 swing. its easier to pull those shots off then say a 110 yard feel shot with your PW where those are your scoring clubs.

i mean look at it this way with your long clubs ie. 200 yards plus so many factors come into play that you dont have as much control over, ie. wind, layout and what not. with your short irons you can control spin and landing spots a lot easier. so i would rather have an extra club in the bag for that.

qbrown...pm'd you on good places for fittings.

My Ride
    94' Terd

Originally posted by bigboom

no but its easier to subsititute clubs for long yardages, ie. grip down an inch on your hybrid even a 3 iron will get you 215, or do a 3/4 swing. its easier to pull those shots off then say a 110 yard feel shot with your PW where those are your scoring clubs.

i mean look at it this way with your long clubs ie. 200 yards plus so many factors come into play that you dont have as much control over, ie. wind, layout and what not. with your short irons you can control spin and landing spots a lot easier. so i would rather have an extra club in the bag for that.

qbrown...pm'd you on good places for fittings.
    You're contradicting yourself. If it's easier to control spin and landing spots from shorter distances don't you think you would need less clubs to accomplish that?

And if there are more variables involved with longer shots wouldn't you want to minimize them by eliminating the amount you have to manipulate the things you can control (ie intervals between clubs and gripping down)?

My opinion on wedges is this. You need 3 wedges(PW, GW, SW), max. Two that you can hit full swing, and another you can hit from any lie around the green. If you're too far away to hit the green, lay up for a shot you can hit with a wedge for a full swing. Likewise, if you get used to one wedge from around the green you eliminate the guess work that would be involved by incorporating 3 or 4 different wedges into your chipping/pitching arsenal.

Likewise, by have shorter intervals between clubs in the long irons/woods, you eliminate the guesswork and variables from that distance by being able to make the SAME SWING regardless of what club is in your hands. By gripping down and taking 3/4 swings you are only making it waaaaay more difficult for yourself to execute your intended shot.

And that is what buying golf equipment is all about, making it easier for yourself to execute your intended shot. You're only making it difficult for yourself by trying to hit 3/4 shots from 220 yards. Think about it logically, if you miss hit a shot from over 200 yrds you're going to be much farther away from your target than if you were to miss hit a shot from 80?

Don't you think it makes sense to eliminate as many variables as possible from over 200 yards?

I'm sorry that you don't accept this logic, put some thought into it, perhaps try it out, and let me know how many shots you shave this summer. Feel free to go to golfdigest.com and check out the 'What's in the bag?' thing and tell me how many tour players have more than 3 wedges in their bag (PW included).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast