Quantcast
buying new golf clubs - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: buying new golf clubs

Originally posted by DUBBED

You're contradicting yourself. If it's easier to control spin and landing spots from shorter distances don't you think you would need less clubs to accomplish that?
    no because its easier for players to take full shots with a wedge and just choke down on a long club, take the guess work out of the feel shots. you shoudl try reading dave pelz's philosophy on the short gaem, you brought up phil mickelson probably one of the best short game players in the world and he even carries up to a 64* wedge.

And if there are more variables involved with longer shots wouldn't you want to minimize them by eliminating the amount you have to manipulate the things you can control (ie intervals between clubs and gripping down)?
    no because you have no control over those variables, control what you can, if you consistently grip down an amount you'll always get the same distance or close enough on the long game.

My opinion on wedges is this. You need 3 wedges(PW, GW, SW), max. Two that you can hit full swing, and another you can hit from any lie around the green. If you're too far away to hit the green, lay up for a shot you can hit with a wedge for a full swing. Likewise, if you get used to one wedge from around the green you eliminate the guess work that would be involved by incorporating 3 or 4 different wedges into your chipping/pitching arsenal.
    thats your philosophy. for pitching most people will only play one club, i personally use my 56*, but i like my gap wedge for any distance 110-120 because i can take a full shot at a normal tempo instead of tinkering with 3/4 swings, 1/2 swings.

Likewise, by have shorter intervals between clubs in the long irons/woods, you eliminate the guesswork and variables from that distance by being able to make the SAME SWING regardless of what club is in your hands. By gripping down and taking 3/4 swings you are only making it waaaaay more difficult for yourself to execute your intended shot.
    how many people especially amateurs do you know that can consistently hit their long irons and hybrids? wind plays so much more of a factor on these shots than short wedge shots that allows so much more room for error.

And that is what buying golf equipment is all about, making it easier for yourself to execute your intended shot. You're only making it difficult for yourself by trying to hit 3/4 shots from 220 yards. Think about it logically, if you miss hit a shot from over 200 yrds you're going to be much farther away from your target than if you were to miss hit a shot from 80?
    that may be so but when you have more tools around the green you can always carry over a greenside bunker or get over trees with your lob wedge which you cant do with a sand wedge like you said people should carry. a lob wedge is an essential tool for the bag, you will not see a pro's bag without one. a typical sand wedge has 14* degrees of bounce are you comfortable playing that around the green when you know if you hit it wrong off a tight lie you will blade the ball way over the green into usually more hazards?

I'm sorry that you don't accept this logic, put some thought into it, perhaps try it out, and let me know how many shots you shave this summer. Feel free to go to golfdigest.com and check out the 'What's in the bag?' thing and tell me how many tour players have more than 3 wedges in their bag (PW included).
    that's because they are pros. they have the control over their long irons that recreational/amateur players do not have. i use my lob wedge and gap wedge more than i would my long irons (3,4, hybrid) , how many people do you know that can hit a consistent knockdown/stinger shot with long irons that the pros use frequently?

in the end it depends on the player and wht they are comfortable with. you think its mbetter to have more options in the long and i think its better in the short. you'll have people that support both.
    Last edited by bigboom; 04-17-2008 at 01:19 PM.

My Ride
    94' Terd

You're right there is several schools of thought on the game. I've always felt that I lose more strokes from 150+ because I don't get it into scoring position. That's probably not true for the majority of golfers though.

I want to make one more statement though. In my mind, gripping down and trying to alter your swing from over 200 yards is going to cause you more harm than good. I find that trying to hit 3/4 shots messes with my head and makes me think more than I'd like to, I want my golf swing to be so natural I could do it in my sleep. That's what I want to be able to swing the same with every club and not want to have to alter anything to hit a shot. Of course there will be exceptions like having to hit over a tree, but if you didn't try to choke down on the three wood and yank it on to the other fairway maybe you wouldn't be behind that tree? haha sorry that had to be said.

Additionally I think getting used to a single wedge will develop your sense of feel on and around the green, which in the end will make you a much better golfer than reading a Dave Pelz book.

But, that is only my opinion.

You're right there is several schools of thought on the game. I've always felt that I lose more strokes from 150+ because I don't get it into scoring position. That's probably not true for the majority of golfers though.

I want to make one more statement though. In my mind, gripping down and trying to alter your swing from over 200 yards is going to cause you more harm than good. I find that trying to hit 3/4 shots messes with my head and makes me think more than I'd like to, I want my golf swing to be so natural I could do it in my sleep. That's what I want to be able to swing the same with every club and not want to have to alter anything to hit a shot. Of course there will be exceptions like having to hit over a tree, but if you didn't try to choke down on the three wood and yank it on to the other fairway maybe you wouldn't be behind that tree? haha sorry that had to be said.

Additionally I think getting used to a single wedge will develop your sense of feel on and around the green, which in the end will make you a much better golfer than reading a Dave Pelz book.

But, that is only my opinion.

but im not saying play a 3/4 swing, i have the same thought as you that i dont like those because they mess with my head that why im saying if you choke down automatically you willb e shorter with that club. you still take a full swing youre just working with a lot less length.

all im saying with the Dave Pelz book is that there are pro's out there that think the same way i do. you could yank your shot regardless of whether you choked up or not, at least you now have a club that can get you over that hazard. whereas if you have a 56 and try and open it up with a 14* bounce im pretty sure skulling it is a very realistic option.

Originally posted by PHX
    Check out KZG golf clubs. They are the best custom golf clubs on the market and are reasonably priced. I bought a full set for $1300 custom build and sized. You have to get these clubs fitted and build specifically for you by one of their pros, otherwise they won't sell them to you. I've had Callaways and Pings in the past and they don't even compare.
    Try Tour Stix Golf for these:

http://www.tourstixgolf.com/

Originally posted by OPGForce

Try Tour Stix Golf for these:

http://www.tourstixgolf.com/
    have you actually had puring done to your clubs? and if so do you find it makes a difference? i was thinking of doing this and getting them spined.

Originally posted by bigboom

have you actually had puring done to your clubs? and if so do you find it makes a difference? i was thinking of doing this and getting them spined.

I'm getting a new hybrid shaft installed that is being spined. Never had any puring done yet, but according to Ron that runs the place, the good shafts don't need puring, but the shit shafts do. If they are really shitty, then they can't be pured at all (some True Temper S300's fall in this category). Check Golf WRX for more info on this topic.

Go see Ron at TourStix if you have any questions as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2