Quantcast
Best Place in Calgary to buy Power Tools? Compressor/Mitre Saw, etc - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Place in Calgary to buy Power Tools? Compressor/Mitre Saw, etc

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Default Best Place in Calgary to buy Power Tools? Compressor/Mitre Saw, etc

In the next couple weeks I`m looking to buy a few new tools.

* 20 Gal Air Compressor
    * Flooring Stapler
    * Mitre Saw

Plus a couple other things, but these are the main ones. So basically I`m looking for the best place to buy (good prices, good quality), for tools that will last for years to come. I`ve checked out HD where else is there to look?

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

House of Tools
    Calgary Fasteners

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

I picked up my mitre saw at Home Depot. High end Dewalt one. Works great. Normally I don't recommend big chain stores, but a tool is a tool is a tool. no matter where you get it. chances are it will be cheaper there, than some speciality store, and with a better return policy as well. Take a look at home depot and rona.

Costco has a great deal on a big compressor right now. (In store rebate coupon... sorry, didn't check it out, just saw it on the coupon sheet.) They also have a 12" Hitachi mitre saw (single bevel, non-sliding) in stock right now at the Heritage store.
    Last edited by Odysseyus; 04-15-2008 at 11:45 PM.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Odysseyus
    Costco has a great deal on a big compressor right now. (In store rebate coupon... sorry, didn't check it out, just saw it on the coupon sheet.) They also have a 12" Hitachi mitre saw (single bevel, non-sliding) in stock right now at the Heritage store.

I did see that compressor yesterday... I checked some reviews and they weren't that great... plus the cfm is quite low on it... although it is a good price. As for mitre saw, I already have a single, non sliding... looking for a larger sliding mitre.

I know a couple weeks/months back HD had a 20% off sale on a bunch of tools which I missed, hoping that will come around again soon.

Anywhere else?

I haven't got around to looking into this yet, but online you can find nice tools like hitachi at good prices. House of tools carries hitachi, but lower models and higher prices.. Would be nice to see if they'd price match..

ps, hitachi ftw.

My Ride
    335i

House of tools is the biggest ripoff in the city. Go to home depot and see if you can get one of their clearance mitre saws. I got a 12" dewalt on clearance for under $200 last month.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I got my compound mitre saw at Totem. They had a sale where it was ridiculously cheap, half-price or something. I think they do that periodically, so it's worth checking out.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Princess Auto
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    I haven't got around to looking into this yet, but online you can find nice tools like hitachi at good prices.

Any specific sites online? I'm just googling and seeing what I can find.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Princess Auto
    good place for compressors and air tools

My Ride
    335i

^But Powerfist tools are NOT good quality. I wouldn't use their tools for any longterm serious work.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

http://www.getmoreofwhatyoulove.ca/?...reofwhayoulove

Costco.ca coupons...just go down to the left hand side where it says coupons plug in Alberta

says its' a Porter Cable 17 Gallon vertical compressor with/kit
    299.99 before the $50.00 coupon

My Ride
    stakes into the hearts of vampires

When it comes to a compressor and mitre saw, don't cheap out. I bought a few high quality Dewalt mitre saws from home depot for $999, which was $250 cheaper then house of tools, they also have a great return policy. As for an air compressor, don't goto costco or cheap out on some peice of garbage compressor.

I don't recomend Calgary Fasteners for air compressors. I purchased a $900 Eagle compressor there about 2 years ago, and when it came to any issues covered by warantee, and there were tons, it would take them about a month or so to fix everytime. I say goto Waldo, buy a $1500 high end Quincy and it will last you forever, and if you ever have ANY issues with the tools, they have a service van which will goto your site and try and repair it on the spot or atleast bring it back to the shop for you. Waldo also carries all sorts of high quality air guns, and many guns that noone else in the city carries.

We were going thru compressors like crazy at my old job, and ended up getting "jun-airs". We only needed smaller ones, but they were great, quiet, small, hardly tell its running beside you. They use them in hospitals and dentist offices and stuff I believe.. $2500-3k though...

yep here we are:

http://www.jun-air.com/

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by dropdat
    When it comes to a compressor and mitre saw, don't cheap out. I bought a few high quality Dewalt mitre saws from home depot for $999, which was $250 cheaper then house of tools, they also have a great return policy. As for an air compressor, don't goto costco or cheap out on some peice of garbage compressor.

I don't recomend Calgary Fasteners for air compressors. I purchased a $900 Eagle compressor there about 2 years ago, and when it came to any issues covered by warantee, and there were tons, it would take them about a month or so to fix everytime. I say goto Waldo, buy a $1500 high end Quincy and it will last you forever, and if you ever have ANY issues with the tools, they have a service van which will goto your site and try and repair it on the spot or atleast bring it back to the shop for you. Waldo also carries all sorts of high quality air guns, and many guns that noone else in the city carries.

I've owned Eagle compressors before, didn't like them and had many issues. I need a smaller portable compressor for work... something in the 15 gal range, I'm just having trouble choosing something... I may end up buying a husky...?

Also, I really need a new flooring gun. I bought a lower end one awhile back and it's a POS. Probably going to end up going with a Bostich...

Last thing I really need is probably a 10" sliding mitre.

All in all probably $2000 in tools over the weekend... well probably more since I'm sure I'll find a bunch of "smaller" things I also "need".

Seems that HD is probably the best bet all things considered... quality/price/warranty, etc. Still looking online as well...

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    We were going thru compressors like crazy at my old job, and ended up getting "jun-airs". We only needed smaller ones, but they were great, quiet, small, hardly tell its running beside you. They use them in hospitals and dentist offices and stuff I believe.. $2500-3k though...

yep here we are:

http://www.jun-air.com/

I'm sure Jun Airs are great, but I'm going to be installing flooring and using air nailers, not cleaning anybody's teeth...lol

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

I didn't manage to get much this weekend, but I did buy myself a new shop vac. Sarcee Home Depot has 14 Gal Ridgid Pro on sale for only $99.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Very powerful 6hp motor... I assembled and tried it out... this thing SUCKS! <good>

Ha, I know you won't be cleaning teeth, I thought we were just talking about pimp compressors. We used to go thru those dual tank rigids every few months. But the jun airs were great. I think I even posted on here about how a guy got mad at me and argued with me in the home depot parking lot because I was returning one and when asked why, I called it junk and he flew off the handle..

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

^^ Haha ^^

Some people are very faithful/defensive of "their" brands.

Does anybody know if anywhere in Calgary sells PowerNail tools. Specifically I'm looking for a Pneumatic Nailer.

Also, I bought some materials last night and today I'm building a new shop worktable. I'll try post pics later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast