Quantcast
Some Art Majors are Seriously Fucked - HOAX - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Art Majors are Seriously Fucked - HOAX

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Default Some Art Majors are Seriously Fucked

The wife of my last boss was an art major. She described how, for their final project, one of her peers had hatched a chicken egg, grew the chicken to maturity, slaughtered it, turned it into a chicken sandwich and on the last day class, ate that chicken sandwich in front of the class. A+.

I thought that was pretty bizarre, but that pales in comparison to this story. In short, an art student inseminates herself as many times as possible and periodically takes herbal abortifacients to abort the fetuses that resulted. She photographs and films these abortions, keeps blood from them and plans to include them as her exhibit.

I don't like the idea of abortion, it isn't something to take lightly or casually. I don't like to use the term pro-choice to describe myself, because I feel that identifies with the crowd that seems to believe abortions should be given out casually to the 35 year old lawyer whose career would be inconvenienced by a pregnancy. Almost as long as there has been pregnancy, there has been abortion in one form or another, and I accept that it is a service that must be provided safely and professionally to women in order to protect them - a form of harm reduction.

But what this woman has done is shown callous disregard for human life, using the guise of "art" to hide her insanity. I wouldn't have a problem with criminal charges for her:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24513

For senior, abortion a medium for art, political discourse
    Martine Powers
    Staff Reporter
    Published Thursday, April 17, 2008

Art major Aliza Shvarts '08 wants to make a statement.

Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process.

The goal in creating the art exhibition, Shvarts said, was to spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body. But her project has already provoked more than just debate, inciting, for instance, outcry at a forum for fellow senior art majors held last week. And when told about Shvarts' project, students on both ends of the abortion debate have expressed shock . saying the project does everything from violate moral code to trivialize abortion.

But Shvarts insists her concept was not designed for "shock value."

"I hope it inspires some sort of discourse," Shvarts said. "Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it's not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone."

The "fabricators," or donors, of the sperm were not paid for their services, but Shvarts required them to periodically take tests for sexually transmitted diseases. She said she was not concerned about any medical effects the forced miscarriages may have had on her body. The abortifacient drugs she took were legal and herbal, she said, and she did not feel the need to consult a doctor about her repeated miscarriages.

Shvarts declined to specify the number of sperm donors she used, as well as the number of times she inseminated herself.

Art major Juan Castillo '08 said that although he was intrigued by the creativity and beauty of her senior project, not everyone was as thrilled as he was by the concept and the means by which she attained the result.

"I really loved the idea of this project, but a lot other people didn't," Castillo said. "I think that most people were very resistant to thinking about what the project was really about. [The senior-art-project forum] stopped being a conversation on the work itself."

Although Shvarts said she does not remember the class being quite as hostile as Castillo described, she said she believes it is the nature of her piece to "provoke inquiry."

"I believe strongly that art should be a medium for politics and ideologies, not just a commodity," Shvarts said. "I think that I'm creating a project that lives up to the standard of what art is supposed to be."

The display of Schvarts' project will feature a large cube suspended from the ceiling of a room in the gallery of Green Hall. Schvarts will wrap hundreds of feet of plastic sheeting around this cube; lined between layers of the sheeting will be the blood from Schvarts' self-induced miscarriages mixed with Vaseline in order to prevent the blood from drying and to extend the blood throughout the plastic sheeting.

Schvarts will then project recorded videos onto the four sides of the cube. These videos, captured on a VHS camcorder, will show her experiencing miscarriages in her bathrooom tub, she said. Similar videos will be projected onto the walls of the room.

School of Art lecturer Pia Lindman, Schvarts' senior-project advisor, could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Few people outside of Yale's undergraduate art department have heard about Shvarts' exhibition. Members of two campus abortion-activist groups . Choose Life at Yale, a pro-life group, and the Reproductive Rights Action League of Yale, a pro-choice group . said they were not previously aware of Schvarts' project.

Alice Buttrick '10, an officer of RALY, said the group was in no way involved with the art exhibition and had no official opinion on the matter.

Sara Rahman '09 said, in her opinion, Shvarts is abusing her constitutional right to do what she chooses with her body.

"[Shvarts' exhibit] turns what is a serious decision for women into an absurdism," Rahman said. "It discounts the gravity of the situation that is abortion."

CLAY member Jonathan Serrato '09 said he does not think CLAY has an official response to Schvarts' exhibition. But personally, Serrato said he found the concept of the senior art project "surprising" and unethical.

"I feel that she's manipulating life for the benefit of her art, and I definitely don't support it," Serrato said. "I think it's morally wrong."

Shvarts emphasized that she is not ashamed of her exhibition, and she has become increasingly comfortable discussing her miscarriage experiences with her peers.

"It was a private and personal endeavor, but also a transparent one for the most part," Shvarts said. "This isn't something I've been hiding."

The official reception for the Undergraduate Senior Art Show will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on April 25. The exhibition will be on public display from April 22 to May 1. The art exhibition is set to premiere alongside the projects of other art seniors this Tuesday, April 22 at the gallery of Holcombe T. Green Jr. Hall on Chapel Street.
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 04-17-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Fucking useless art students.

My Ride
    Acura Integra

Originally posted by rmk
    Yeah they can't even ensure that the lid on my double double is on properly

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Guess I have no culture, because there's no fucking way I would ever consider that to be "art" even in the most liberal possible interpretation of the word.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I bet her exhibit will also involve a stray dog...

Tell me about it, art students are a mirror image of Vincent Van Gogh, I cut my ear of ass a symbol of love.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

cool

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

where do we draw the line when it comes to "art"?
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Princess*Precid
    where do we draw the line when it comes to "art"?
    Sadly, you don't without everyone screaming "fascist" at the government.

Artists will always be doing their best to "shock" the public with their "art", and when we get used to one exhibit, the next person will do something even worse, just to get attention to their pathetic little lives.

edit: (kind of like advertising, tv, and movies)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by rmk
    QFT

My Ride
    a wrx.

You're all sounding very pro-life about this.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by ricescream

QFT
    you QFT, he is right!

I dont have an issue with abortion for the RIGHT reasons, this is a F*cking stupid reason!

I dont get how this is 'art' either guys
    Cos...

Originally posted by brendankharris

you QFT, he is right!

I dont have an issue with abortion for the RIGHT reasons, this is a F*cking stupid reason!

I dont get how this is 'art' either guys
    sick shit

My Ride
    06 TL

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    There's a difference between being pro-life and just being against people killing for no reason (dogs OR fetuses). Does this "art" not disturb you?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    Pro-choice, when there is a solid reason for it.

Putting your fetuses on display as art, doesn't qualify in my books, but then I'm not the emperor of the world (yet)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Hatred

They should turn those art colleges into really big gas chambers. Bunch of idiots go in.. none come out.

But seriously there is a huge difference between someone creating a masterpiece and someone stringing a bag full of blood and Vaseline from the ceiling. This is no different that that "Artist" who ties a stray dog to the wall of his exhibit with food just out of reach and waits for it to die of starvation. Stuff like this is just stupid, it's idiots who think they have some great idea that the world has to see because it will just blow their minds.

I'm not pro life, I'm pro choice. But to string up a sac of your own blood from the ceiling??
    -U

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

She is just doing it to get attention. Her 15 min of fame, if you will.
    Member since 2003.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Pro-choice, when there is a solid reason for it.

Putting your fetuses on display as art, doesn't qualify in my books, but then I'm not the emperor of the world (yet)
    +1. I'm pro choice, but this is beyond 'art'.

My Ride
    02 on 22s

sounds pretty stupid to me but i'm glad she's allowed to do it.
    if the body shop suggests that you paint your car white...it's because the body work sucks

My Ride
    1098S

Pretty unbelieveable that someone can do that to themselves.
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast