Quantcast
HELP!!! PARKING ISSUES Royal Oak - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! PARKING ISSUES Royal Oak

My Ride
    FD3S

Unhappy HELP!!! PARKING ISSUES Royal Oak

I bought a nice place in ROYAL OAK Estates. Everyone seems really nice. I met some neighbours last summer the one in question is across the street from me. He had an olds 442 in the garage so thought hey great at least he is a car guy. Here is where the problem arises. He has 3 kids between 20-25 and they all have respective boyfriends/girlfriends & buddies (Manitoba). This house seems to have become something of a hotel and they all seem to park on the street. I didn't mind when it was irregular parking, "Not my street so can't do much about it." However they rarely leave cars on their 3 wide driveway! To boot when they go on vacation they leave their cars on street not moving for sometimes two weeks at a time. All neigbours beside him across form him including myself are getting a little upset over the situation. To make my point I have tried to park my wife’s car out front on the street to take over a spot. And just recently I have piled all the snow from my driveway onto the road where a car might park. Work up Sunday morning and bamo! Freaking Jeep YJ sitting on top of a 3 foot high snow bank. They just don't get it. I would confront them but think it might make matters worse. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for. Because you can never predict when their going to do something incredibly stupid.

My Ride

Type a genralized note explaining your feelings and ask them to park their cars on their driveway. Sign it "Community of Royal Oak Estates". This way instead of singling yourself out, it will seem to be a consesus problem in the community. Drop it off in their mailbox or mail it to them so the kids' Dad will get it (if the kids get it they will just probably ignore it). This way your message will get across without you getting labelled as the neighbour who bitches over everything. Hopefully he will talk to his kids and there will be a result.

If there isnt a result, there are two different things you can do depending on how far you want to go or how pissed off you are that day.

1: Begin to park your cars all over the fucking place. Partially block the enterance to his driveway if you really want to get his attention.

2: If they completely blow you off, next time they go on vacation, go out at night and take the licence plates off their cars, and then report to the city that a bunch of unlicenced cars have been left on your street for weeks and you think they are dumped stolen cars. Maybe having to claim ther cars from a impound lot will teach them not to leave their cars all over the street.

Originally posted by 5hift

2: If they completely blow you off, next time they go on vacation, go out at night and take the licence plates off their cars, and then report to the city that a bunch of unlicenced cars have been left on your street for weeks and you think they are dumped stolen cars. Maybe having to claim ther cars from a impound lot will teach them not to leave their cars all over the street.

haha damn, that would be interesting.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    FD3S

Trust me many an EVIL thought has entered my mind. One vehicle happens to be a 93 civic coupe. I think I can have that car into its base components in 6hrs tops. Also thought of buying a 5 ton WWII Troop transport vehicle to park in front of their house. Problem is I would have to look at it and also, I am afraid of escalating the problem. Or worse, getting charged of some mischievous venture. Your Idea about the plates also entered my mind.
    Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for. Because you can never predict when their going to do something incredibly stupid.

My Ride
    is300

yea i hate people who do that. my neighbours girlfriend did this for the longest time, she always parked in front of my house which my gf's spot.

so i just borrowed my sisters bf's beater and parked in that spot for a month. my other neighbour even came to my house and asked if it was my car cuz he thought it was a stolen car someone just left lol.

Originally posted by SHO
    Trust me many an EVIL thought has entered my mind. One vehicle happens to be a 93 civic coupe. I think I can have that car into its base components in 6hrs tops. Also thought of buying a 5 ton WWII Troop transport vehicle to park in front of their house. Problem is I would have to look at it and also, I am afraid of escalating the problem. Or worse, getting charged of some mischievous venture. Your Idea about the plates also entered my mind.
    LOL...i have to admit, i have played the "lets park all the vehicles we have on the street - just to save the spot" But i love your idea about the WWII Troop transport vehicle..maybe a rocket ship might work as well...

What are the official rules of parking on the street, or are there any? We just moved into Alberta last year, and we are from a small town where everyone has driveways. Is there any kind of "unwritten" rule about parking in front of other peoples houses in their spots? We also have a similar issue with one of our neighbors parking his truck in front of our place and it not moving for days at a time, sometimes weeks. I was never sure if it was my place to say anything, or if anything goes..
    Diesel powered.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

I always kinda thought that unless it's directly in front of your house or blocking in your driveway, you can't really complain too much about it. It's a give and take thing. In my community I have to park in the street because we always have 2 cars in the driveway and there's no more room. The spot I park in is right in front of my house. I don't get too upset when my neighbours park in my spot becuase it's never permanent, and since I leave earliest in the morning I can just block in the driveway.

That said, there's a certain level of respect that you have to give your neighbours. I've told friends to park in different spots down the street many times so they don't take up spots where neighbours usually park their cars.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by chadnixon
    What are the official rules of parking on the street, or are there any? We just moved into Alberta last year, and we are from a small town where everyone has driveways. Is there any kind of "unwritten" rule about parking in front of other peoples houses in their spots? We also have a similar issue with one of our neighbors parking his truck in front of our place and it not moving for days at a time, sometimes weeks. I was never sure if it was my place to say anything, or if anything goes..
    Street is public property, any registered and insured vehicle can park on the street. "anyone" can call in parking patrol to report abandon vehicle, parking maid will come out and post an orange "please remove vehicle within 24 hours or you'll get tow" sticker on the driver window; no point in doing that if it's a neighbour's car because once he/she moves the vehicle within that notice, the sticker process starts again and you'll just start a pissing match seeing it'll obviously be the house they parked in front of that called them in.

I think courtesy (unwritten rule) is just park in front of your OWN house, and respect your neighbour's for at least 1 or 2 spots in front of theirs. Course not including booty calls where the f#@k buddy is only parking in front of neighbour's for 2-5 hours.

*** This might be an option for the OP, when they go on week long vacation, call in that a vehicle in front of your house is abandon (i.e. hasn't moved for days)... and even if the asshat neighbour confronts you just say: "Oh, I didn't know it was one of you guy's, thought it was stolen or someone just left it there, etc... you never told me you were all going on vacation thought you'd already parked all your vehicles on YOUR driveway"

My Ride
    J35Z2

Originally posted by 5hift

2: If they completely blow you off, next time they go on vacation, go out at night and take the license plates off their cars, and then report to the city that a bunch of unlicensed cars have been left on your street for weeks and you think they are dumped stolen cars. Maybe having to claim their cars from a impound lot will teach them not to leave their cars all over the street.

HAHAHAH

Sometimes your ideas are just soo damn good.

I'm gonna have to try that with my neighbors.
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Sunny Leone

I would love to make her my Butter Chicken

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Street is public property, any registered and insured vehicle can park on the street. "anyone" can call in parking patrol to report abandon vehicle, parking maid will come out and post an orange "please remove vehicle within 24 hours or you'll get tow" sticker on the driver window; no point in doing that if it's a neighbour's car because once he/she moves the vehicle within that notice, the sticker process starts again and you'll just start a pissing match seeing it'll obviously be the house they parked in front of that called them in.

I think courtesy (unwritten rule) is just park in front of your OWN house, and respect your neighbour's for at least 1 or 2 spots in front of theirs. Course not including booty calls where the f#@k buddy is only parking in front of neighbour's for 2-5 hours.

*** This might be an option for the OP, when they go on week long vacation, call in that a vehicle in front of your house is abandon (i.e. hasn't moved for days)... and even if the asshat neighbour confronts you just say: "Oh, I didn't know it was one of you guy's, thought it was stolen or someone just left it there, etc... you never told me you were all going on vacation thought you'd already parked all your vehicles on YOUR driveway"
    Thats what I thought. thanks.
    Diesel powered.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

To my understanding your neighbor doesn't park any of their cars on their driveway, but beside their own driveway and infront of all the other neighbors??

If so, when I see a chance, I would just park one of your car infront of their house (beside their driveway) and/or park one and a half spot at where they usually park so they dont' have any space to fit their cars.

My Ride
    FD3S

My last idea is to get all my buddies that want to sell a car to park their vehicles over here and slowly I can take over the whole block. Any one on here selling any cars and need a spot??

i heard there was a rule that they cant park within some distance within the entrance to your driveway and if you call the parking maids, they will actually come and measure with a ruler and tow the car if its too close to ur driveway.

Default Re: HELP!!! PARKING ISSUES Royal Oak

IMO, the neighbour is doing nothing wrong. You said it yourself, he has 3 kids and they each have a significant other. Thats a big extended family. If they all spend a lot of time there, where do you expect them to park. If they all parked in the driveway, theyd block in the parents who likely park in the garage. If they parked one car in the driveway, would that satisfy you? Two?

If you really need the space on the street and have filled youre driveway and garage, then speak to the neighbour. Ask him if you could have one or two cars parked in the garage because you end up having to park down the street.

Sounds like you just dont like all the cars on the street. I can understand that, yet theres a point where you have to learn to live in peace with your neighbours.

Do any communities in Calgary have overnight street parking bylaws in residential areas? I have family that live in Toronto sub-urbs and they have laws that NO overnight street parking is allowed.

Originally posted by SHO
    I bought a nice place in ROYAL OAK Estates. Everyone seems really nice. I met some neighbours last summer the one in question is across the street from me. He had an olds 442 in the garage so thought hey great at least he is a car guy. Here is where the problem arises. He has 3 kids between 20-25 and they all have respective boyfriends/girlfriends & buddies (Manitoba). This house seems to have become something of a hotel and they all seem to park on the street. I didn't mind when it was irregular parking, "Not my street so can't do much about it." However they rarely leave cars on their 3 wide driveway! To boot when they go on vacation they leave their cars on street not moving for sometimes two weeks at a time. All neigbours beside him across form him including myself are getting a little upset over the situation. To make my point I have tried to park my wife’s car out front on the street to take over a spot. And just recently I have piled all the snow from my driveway onto the road where a car might park. Work up Sunday morning and bamo! Freaking Jeep YJ sitting on top of a 3 foot high snow bank. They just don't get it. I would confront them but think it might make matters worse. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My Ride
    2006 Jetta TDI,2006 Saab 92-x,2013 F350 Platinum

Originally posted by tlapec
    i heard there was a rule that they cant park within some distance within the entrance to your driveway and if you call the parking maids, they will actually come and measure with a ruler and tow the car if its too close to ur driveway.

Snip -

"You may not park within 1.5 metres of or
    directly across from a driveway or garage
    entrance in an alley. Parking is also not
    allowed in front of or within 1.0 metre of
    the side of a garbage container or in alleys
    that are less than 6.1 metres wide"

If someone violates this, you have the option to have them ticketed, towed or ticketed & towed!

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/...ip_booklet.pdf

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

I would just go talk to the guy and see if you guys can work something out. I rather do a face to face just to air everything out. Keep calm and be polite If he is a dick about it THEN do what 5hift suggested

My Ride
    1996 del sol

Default or you can be a real dick

park in his driveway............last resort but im sure it will raise serious shit. im so glad im out of calgary no more of this bs
    or start boxing there cars in so they cant get out but that will just get you in shit. i d go with talking to him if your nieghbours feel the same then let him know. it cant hurt worst case is he tells you to go fuck yourself

I would just ask him if it would be possible for them to park in their drive way if possible because visiting company and the like can't find parking, or it is keeping you from parking near your house.

MAN! Do I know how you feel! Tough one to deal with. I used to live in an area with attached garages..all on street parking. Our neighbour was THE MOST ignorant, selfish person I ever met. He had a DOUBLE car garage in the alley...I had none. Yet he always parked both his cars on the street..and one invariably right in front of our house. with limited parking spaces sometimes we'd be 3 houses up with our van.

The best was one day with a huge dump of snow. I spent an hour and a half shoveling a walkway from our house to our van...then also shovelled ALL around the van so you could walk easily around it. We drove to the store and came back in 15 minutes...HE PARKED IN MY FRESHLY SHOVELLED SPOT IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE!!!!

So for a whole week..I parked my work vehicle...our van..and my sons car all in front of our house and his place..leaving a huge space between each car..but not quite big enough for another vehicle. So we took up about 6 parking spaces. thankfully we moved away...fuckin HATED that guy...yappy dogs..rude wife..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast