Quantcast
VW Blokes - ECU upgrade opinions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: VW Blokes - ECU upgrade opinions

My Ride
    pedals

Question VW Blokes - ECU upgrade opinions

So here is where i am. Im getting a ECU upgrade for my 16v. That is decided, now which one. Most of my reasearch points to the GIAC chip as the top contender, yet the Autotech unit is quite good as well. Cost is a small factor as the GIAC unit is 1/3 more than the autotech one. So what im basically asking is, is it worth the extra cash for the GIAC chip? Is it really any better than the autotech q-chip. I am leaning to yes, but i would like some opinions. Thanks

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Ben would be the man to ask. Wait for him to come online -- then your questions will be answered!

Peter

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Default Re: VW Blokes - ECU upgrade opinions

Originally posted by hjr
    So here is where i am. Im getting a ECU upgrade for my 16v. That is decided, now which one. Most of my reasearch points to the GIAC chip as the top contender, yet the Autotech unit is quite good as well. Cost is a small factor as the GIAC unit is 1/3 more than the autotech one. So what im basically asking is, is it worth the extra cash for the GIAC chip? Is it really any better than the autotech q-chip. I am leaning to yes, but i would like some opinions. Thanks
    Thanks Peter

Ah yes...

Currently I am running the Autotech ECU...Kicks in around 2000rpm and they claim a peak horsepower gain is 9bhp, and even better if you add some agressive camshafts. Few more pounds of torque below 4000 rpm which is nice, the 16V's are noted for the lack of real low end grunt, although all things considered, 160lb/ft of torque in a 2300lb car has never been a problem for me.

Gains are mainly noticed more-so in the top end, as rev limiter is raised to 6900, with a smoother firmer pull from 5400-6900 IMO. If you have the Euro Sport Cams as I do, you enjoy another 200rpm's in your redline, allowing for a 7100rpm redline (HD Valve Springs are required). Cams pull VERY hard from 3500 on and ALL the way to redline, instead of running out of steam 1500rpm short..

Alot of people swear by the GIAC chip, saying they offer better gains in the top end, but I have the cams so I could care less. If I was you, Honestly its a 50/50, and I dont think that the extra cost is worth a trivial percentage of a horsepower...besides...their website doesn't even function properly...

Go to C1 and Buy a nice Autotech.

DONT go with Neuspeed.
    Travel

My Ride
    pedals

Sounds good, and i had no intention at all of going with neuspeed. Complete crap.