Quantcast
Review: Flight Deck - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Flight Deck

Default Review: Flight Deck

Yes there is another thread about it, but I am making this one for purely personal review and any others that people have. The other thread is full of too much other stuff.

First off I will state my background on the Restaurant business. I have worked at two line cooking style restaurants, and one fine dining restaurant, all for a lengthly period of time. So yeah, I know a little about how a restaurant is run.

Straight forward, for those who wish not to read, horrible. I will never return. I have been there three times, so I think I have got a handle on the place to review it finally.

Service - Absolutely horrible. It seems as though have just hired a bunch of kids still in high school (which they have, I know most the girls in there, who were a grade below me in high school). We waited a good twenty minutes before even being helped, and on that trying to get the waitress for help was near impossible. When she brought the food there was no napkins or utensils, and when she gave me a new cup of water, she just left the old one there. Didn't take it for the whole time I was seated. When it was time to pay, part of it was on debit, other in cash. She took the cash and just walked away. Didn't come back for 10 minutes and I then stated, "Yeah kinda like to pay the rest of it now." Brutal.

Food - Horrible, but not as bad as the service. I have eaten there three times, like stated above.

First dish I ordered was one of there Asian dishes or whatever they call it. It was cold in certain parts, and get this, it tasted EXACTLY how a porta-potty would smell like. That is the best I can explain it.

Second dish I ordered was the surf and turf (steak with prawns). They have AAA steak's, which I knew they were, but it was the biggest waste of a AAA steak I have ever tasted. The first steak that came out wasn't any where CLOSE to medium-rare, but more over cooked to shit, and I asked them to take it back. The second steak was ok, but nothing amazing. The prawns all though crisp, tasted stale.

Third dish was tonight. Me and a friend got a combo platter of appetizers. I figured it would be safe, as it is a fucking easy dish to make. Brutal. Most horrible wings I have ever tasted, they were little to no cheese on the nachos, and the French fries were not cooked all the way through. I mean honestly, I can make that dish with my eyes closed. It is NOT a dish you screw up.

General - Ok now heres the part I was really blown away by. I was left with my jaw hanging. After the meal tonight I paid the waitress (gave her a 15% tip she did NOT deserve) and told her I will probably not be eating here again. She said if the meal was bad she should of told her and I wouldn't of had to pay (I didn't care, coming off from work, I was hungry, I was not about to reorder or what not). I then said I come from three different restaurants, and the food was horrible. I did not blame her at all, I just simply suggested new cooks (I know they are all kids back there).

This is what she told me. She said, "Well you did order the worst dish, I mean it was all fried food!" I couldn't believe it. I said, "Firstly, you do not tell your customer that he was completely wrong, secondly fried food is one of the most EASIEST dishes ever. Everything should be good at a restaurant, not just certain dishes. If it is bad, take it off the menu. I mean I could of went to McDonalds for some fried food and it would of tasted better." I was completely astonished on what she said. She just replied with a, "Whatever." At that point I then said, "Let me talk to you manager." She kinda muttered, "Well hes not in..." (Bullshit). I wanted my tip back so bad, but I just bit my tongue and walked off. You do NOT say whatever to a customer. My old boss (Claudio at Il Gallo Nero down on 17th) would of slapped her straight out of the fucking restaurant for that.

Overall - Absolute triple A shit. I will not return, and I surely do not recommend it to anyone else. Either they pick up their fucking act, or I can see business dropping drastically. I am just mind boggled on that response from the server though. Unbelievable.

I was thinking about going with a group of friends, but this review def. makes me what to take a second thought about that.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

We went for the flames game the other night, and yes the service sucked, the food wasnt that bad, but at least the waitress was nice lol

I was in the lounge with the piece of paper menu lol ill probably go back to try it again, IMO the placement of the tv's sucked, its a cool idea but a pain in the ass.

other than that, 5/10

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

to be honest, Ive been there twice (both hockey nights) and it was busy as shit. I was with a group of 5 people and we were served within the first 5 minutes.

They only had appys and we had some nachos, they were pretty good. Our waitress came around every 10 minutes to make sure everyone had enough drinks and made sure the table was cleaned up every single time. I have a friend working there but she wasnt working that night so i did not know this girl at all.

It sucks that you had a bad experience there but keep in mind that they are not officially open for business yet and that they are just testing new ground here. sure the folks workin there might just be kids (dont doubt it) but as long as you do your part and let them know that you were dissatisfied with the service, perhaps they will make the right change before the "official grand opening".

I will be going back again, not sure when, hopefully after they have officially opened for business and see if the service has changed.

I have been to plenty restaurants/bars that have had terrible reviews from people, and have left very satisfied. I guess it depends on the night and whos working, cant always have the best service i guess (which u should)

just my 0.02
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

I've been to the Flightdeck now three times. It's a fun place for hockey games, the atmosphere was great. Although the service can be touch and go.

The first two times we went we had great service, both the lounge and the restaurant. The waitress was great for drinks and was really friendly. The last time we went which was game 7 of the Flames game, the waitress was less to be desired. We had to constantly flag her down for drinks, thing is usually I don't complain when it's busy, but the place was dead 2 hours before game time. She just didn't seem interested.

As for the food, it's alright nothing fancy I suppose. Worst thing to get is probably the pizza, it was way undercooked and the toppings all fell off when you tried to eat the thing. We ended up having to use a fork and knife which is so sad. I found the wings alright too along with the nachos. The sandwhiches there are pretty good, but the burger from what my friend says it needs a bit more seasoning.

Overall I think this place can do well, but some things have to turn around. I hear they're getting more tvs up in the lounge which will make things better. Also last time we went one of the owners were there and it was awesome, he was pissed out of his mind. Anyways, we'll give this place a few more tries and go from there.

Oh don't get me wrong, they have so much potential. When I talked to the server, I was simply saying something to help out. You can have young kids cooking for you, but you need decent sous and head chef to do that.

I was trying to give them advice to make their place better, and what pissed me off is I just get a rude response from the server.

Being a new restaurant isn't really much of an excuse. They are not really testing new waters as they are not much different than a Joey's or anything, they just need people in there that know what they are doing, which they don't. Bartenders are awesome though! If I go back, it will be up at the bar, but no food lol.

But until I hear a damn good review, I won't be back.

On the other note I heard Rat Fink comment on a good review. If people like them I will definitely start writing more of them up here. I enjoy food a lot, and generally eat out a lot at different places, and know my way around a plate.
    Last edited by Spoons; 04-24-2008 at 11:28 PM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Thanks for the tip Spoon

Since you are pretty good at this review thing, can you do one on Tangerine
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Thanks for the tip Spoon

Since you are pretty good at this review thing, can you do one on Tangerine
    Never been to Tangerine to be honest. A few of my friends go there but I've never asked how it is. I will make an effort to go there soon and post up a review.

I am considering going back at some point to Flight Deck just to actually talk to the manager. When a server just mutters whatever to you, I take that as one of the rudest things you could do. Yes I am a 19 year old, averagely dressed, and don't look that important, but I know my way around food, and certainly does not mean I can be treated with disrespect.
    Last edited by Spoons; 04-25-2008 at 12:33 AM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Spoons

Never been to Tangerine to be honest. A few of my friends go there but I've never asked how it is. I will make an effort to go there soon and post up a review.

From the reviews on the net, and from a friend who had her birthday there couple weeks ago, its pretty bad but I wanted your input
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Originally posted by dj_rice

From the reviews on the net, and from a friend who had her birthday there couple weeks ago, its pretty bad but I wanted your input
    Yeah I will try and head down there this week... I need a new hobby, and I love food!

Don't waste your money at Tangerine. At least review places that people would actually want to go to.

P.S. The Met Grill downtown has some pretty hot ass girls.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Went to Flight Deck on Friday night and wait was about 40+ minutes. Had a quick look at the place and then went to T&T for some quick Chinese food. So, will have to try again another time. It will be good when the decks are open though. Pretty nice view.

can i just ask, how long has this place been open for business???

i keep hearing give them a break their still not really open.

well ive worked for and knew a couple or restaurant owners who also had soft openings..... and well they ranged from 1 week to 10days and everything was fixed and ready for the grand opening.

by the sounds of these they're not really open excuses, a year later this play will finally be open or closed without a real opening

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I'm supposed to go there tomorrow for a bday party. Hoping it's not as bad as the original review.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

ur review sounded so convincing, i wish i could write about situations i had, but i've deemed them a waste of time since ppl here have no expectations

to add to this review, i've had similar or even worse service (latest at Fiore Cantina Italiana) in many restaurants in the past year. don't know if this has anything to do with our economic boom. never had service like these in cities like vancouver.

/rant

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

That's why you got across the way and go to Tpot for some cheap chinese foo hahaha

My Ride
    08 Si

Originally posted by Kaos
    That's why you got across the way and go to Tpot for some cheap chinese foo hahaha
    lol is it good? I drive by most days and always wonder

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

lol is it good? I drive by most days and always wonder
    Food is decent but I wouldn't say it's cheap. At least not compared to chinatown.

My Ride
    08 Si

whats "cheap" then lol

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast