Quantcast
Nikon D40X Lens selection. HELP!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Nikon D40X Lens selection. HELP!!

My Ride
    VR Commodore

Default Nikon D40X Lens selection. HELP!!

Hey guys. I've currently go two lenses for my D40x. They are an AF-S DX 18-55 (f/3.5-5.6) and an AF-S DX VR 55-200 IF (f/4-5.6). I want to start shooting a bit of Circuit Racing and that sort of thing so I'm after a lense with better zoom. If anybody has any advice or recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm still learning so please bear with me if I ask any stupid questions.

Cheers,
    Gary

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

When you mean "better zoom," I assume you mean a longer reach. Unfortunately, with the D40X you're limited to AF-S style lenses and thus the longest inexpensive lens that will work on your camera is the 70-300VR, though that's a marginal improvement over your current 55-200.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, Sigma will be releasing the 120-400mm OS HSM (OS is like VR) and the 150-500mm OS HSM that will work fine with your camera. I suspect they'll be about $1000 - $1500 when they hit stores.
    Last edited by BerserkerCatSplat; 04-27-2008 at 01:02 AM.

With the D40x, BT1 5L isn't limited to just the AF-S lenses right? The reason I'm asking is because my co-worker has one is also looking to pick up a few lenses himself. If they're not AF-S, they just don't have automatic focusing right?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
    With the D40x, BT1 5L isn't limited to just the AF-S lenses right? The reason I'm asking is because my co-worker has one is also looking to pick up a few lenses himself. If they're not AF-S, they just don't have automatic focusing right?
    Yes, the D40X will meter with non AF-S lenses, but 1) there aren't any 300mm+ Nikon zooms without AF-S other than the 80-400mm,and 2) Manual focusing fast-moving vehicles with a long lens is extremely difficult - especially on a camera without a real focusing screen and a fullsize viewfinder.

My Ride
    VR Commodore

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    When you mean "better zoom," I assume you mean a longer reach. Unfortunately, with the D40X you're limited to AF-S style lenses and thus the longest inexpensive lens that will work on your camera is the 70-300VR, though that's a marginal improvement over your current 55-200.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, Sigma will be releasing the 120-400mm OS HSM (OS is like VR) and the 150-500mm OS HSM that will work fine with your camera. I suspect they'll be about $1000 - $1500 when they hit stores.
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah, what I am looking for is a longer reach. I want something where I am able to get shots of the cars up to 100 metres away so that I am not restricted to just the corner that I am standing on at the time.
    I think I will try to pick up a 70-300VR for now, and then start saving for something a little more serious.

One more quick question. Are Tele-converters like the one below any good?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by BT1 5L

One more quick question. Are Tele-converters like the one below any good?
    TC's are good, but only with large-aperture lenses as they reduce the maximum effective aperture of the lens. I would not use a TC on any lens with a max aperture slower than f/4 at all focal lengths, as it will impact the AF system noticeably if not stop the AF system completely.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

LB 5 !!

That is the best choice, and good price now !
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by C4S
    LB 5 !!

That is the best choice, and good price now !
    What's an LB 5?

Whats your budget like? Under $1000 the 70-300VR is likely your best option (cheap too), but if you can spend $1000-$1500 you have several really nice options, including the new Sigma lenses BCS already mentioned. If you need zoom, Sigma's 100-300 f/4 is a nice lens, focuses really fast and works well with Sigma's 1.4 TC. On the downside, it's heavy and is $1200.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-28-2008 at 03:54 PM.

My Ride
    VR Commodore

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Whats your budget like? Under $1000 the 70-300VR is likely your best option (cheap too), but if you can spend $1000-$1500 you have several really nice options, including the new Sigma lenses BCS already mentioned. If you need zoom, Sigma's 100-300 f/4 is a nice lens, focuses really fast and works well with Sigma's 1.4 TC. On the downside, it's heavy and is $1200.
    At the moment, I'm really just shopping around and trying to get any advice I can. I'm only just sort of starting so I dont really want to spend massive ammounts on lenses just yet if I can avoid it. The 70-300VR is looking like the best bet at the moment, but I will keep looking around and see what else is available. I will definately be looking into those Sigma lenses as mentioned above. Once again, thanks for the advice people's.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have the Nikkor 70-300 VR on my D40 right now, and I like the lens.
    just a couple notes. These lenses are heavy, and since the D40 and D40X bodies are pretty small and light, it's not he most ergonomic situation. It's no problem for an amateur like me, but if you are going to be shooting all day or something like that, the heavy lens overbalances the body.

Also, with a lens this big, you'll need a good tripod, as the cheaper ones can't support the weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    VR Commodore

Just wondering if any of you would be able to tell me whether or not the lense below would have a longer reach than the AF-S 55-200mm VR that I have?
    http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod2369.htm

Originally posted by BT1 5L
    Just wondering if any of you would be able to tell me whether or not the lense below would have a longer reach than the AF-S 55-200mm VR that I have?
    http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod2369.htm
    Yes it is 100mm longer. It will be an effective 450mm on your D40 at max zoom, and your current 55-200 @ 200 is effectively 300mm at max zoom.

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure that lens doesn't have true HSM like sigma's other lenses, it has a "micro motor". If your looking to save a bunch of money and still get an awesome lens, I would strongly suggest the 70-300VR. It's under $500, has VR II, and is definitely better than that sigma in the link.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-09-2008 at 09:06 AM.