Quantcast
Sold the Talon... Sonata? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sold the Talon... Sonata?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Sold the Talon... Sonata?

So, I bought a 95 Talon TSi AWD in January and just sold it yesterday. A decent car, but with summer here and the MR2 getting ready for the season I don't need two sports cars. Not only that, but that thing was a pig on gas ($60/400km MAYBE).

So I've sold it and have been booting around in a rental for the last couple of days, a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Not a bad car actually, definitely changed the way I look at Hyundai's too.

Basically I'm looking to replace the Talon at the end of summer. I need something that's relatively economical, and I don't feel like paying a ton for it since my income is really volatile and unreliable- when it's good, it's great, and when it's in a "low" period it's really low.

I've been checking around and 2007 Hyundai Sonata's are like $14K-$16K-ish with around 40,000km. I like the Elantra that I'm driving now, but it looks fugly as hell. I like the looks of the Sonata, so I thought it'd be a decent alternative.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2006+ Sonata in terms of reliability, fuel economy, etc? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for a prestiege car, nor do I really care that it's a Hyundai.

EDIT:

Also, I've been looking at some alternatives like a Chevrolet Cobalt SS sedan, Optra5, Focus, etc. Does anyone have any experience with those cars?

My Ride
    NC1

No experience but they are most likely decent cars. The only car I ever think about in the <$20K range is the Civic or Corolla.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Originally posted by max_boost
    No experience but they are most likely decent cars. The only car I ever think about in the &lt;$20K range is the Civic or Corolla.
    Yea I've been thinking about those two, but the Corolla is boring as hell and I'm pretty neutral to the Civic's.

I probably won't have this car for more than 1 or 2 years anyway, they are just appealing to me since they're dirt cheap. The Elantra feels quite solid and well put together, I'm impressed, so I figured maybe that translated to similar figures across their entire line-up.

get a used ca rin the states... there are MANY MANY good cars for half of your 14k price tag

My Ride
    Ram

buy a fit

My Ride

I don't want a fit.

The Hyundai Elantra is listed as EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency) Picks Ten Most Fuel Efficient Vehicles. The Elantra ranked #2 in 2006 and 2007 in the category of most fuel efficient sedans, and also was ranked as the most efficient non-hybrid mid-sized sedan.

My Ride

Originally posted by ricescream
    The Hyundai Elantra is listed as EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency) Picks Ten Most Fuel Efficient Vehicles. The Elantra ranked #2 in 2006 and 2007 in the category of most fuel efficient sedans, and also was ranked as the most efficient non-hybrid mid-sized sedan.
    I believe it. I got over 800K to a tank mixed city/hwy for $48 when I was renting it.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I rented a new ford focus to drive down for my interview... I was very impressed... if you haven't looked at one, you should.

Originally posted by Jlude
    I rented a new ford focus to drive down for my interview... I was very impressed... if you haven't looked at one, you should.
    in lamence terms my answer to that would be

My Ride
    w163

The Sonata is a pretty nice looking car in that class IMO.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by boxer23

lamence?!?

Do you mean laymen's?

... mind if i ask why? i mean... yeah its not the best looking car, but the OP is looking for a reliable, cheap, efficient car... i dont understand why the focus would = ... it meets his requirements pretty well.

dangerously ugly...like Ford didn't even think when they designed that car...its horrible in every way

edit: since when are Ford's know for their reliability
    Last edited by boxer23; 05-01-2008 at 02:48 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1098S

Default Re: Sold the Talon... Sonata?

Originally posted by A790
    So, I bought a 95 Talon TSi AWD in January and just sold it yesterday. A decent car, but with summer here and the MR2 getting ready for the season I don't need two sports cars. Not only that, but that thing was a pig on gas ($60/400km MAYBE).

So I've sold it and have been booting around in a rental for the last couple of days, a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Not a bad car actually, definitely changed the way I look at Hyundai's too.

Basically I'm looking to replace the Talon at the end of summer. I need something that's relatively economical, and I don't feel like paying a ton for it since my income is really volatile and unreliable- when it's good, it's great, and when it's in a &quot;low&quot; period it's really low.

I've been checking around and 2007 Hyundai Sonata's are like $14K-$16K-ish with around 40,000km. I like the Elantra that I'm driving now, but it looks fugly as hell. I like the looks of the Sonata, so I thought it'd be a decent alternative.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2006+ Sonata in terms of reliability, fuel economy, etc? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for a prestiege car, nor do I really care that it's a Hyundai.

EDIT:

Also, I've been looking at some alternatives like a Chevrolet Cobalt SS sedan, Optra5, Focus, etc. Does anyone have any experience with those cars?
    Why don't you look at a car that will actually retain its value?
    All of those will be worth about half what you paid in a few years. Look at what some Focus's and Cobalts are going for right now.
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.

dangerously ugly...like Ford didn't even think when they designed that car...its horrible in every way

edit: since when are Ford's know for their reliability
    since they went into the top 10(i believe number 4... off the top of my head) on the consumer reports lists for reliability. and the differences in reliability (measured in problems per 1000 cars) is statistically insignificant between the top one and the 10th one.

the focus is ugly but its a very good car. in 2010 were getting the euro focus here in north america... then it will be a very good car, and fairly good looking.

just look at the pricing and the options available on the focus. its a good car, it has a fuel efficient reliable engine... the only thing holding it back is its (lack of) styling.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Default Re: Re: Sold the Talon... Sonata?

Originally posted by SNAATCH

Why don't you look at a car that will actually retain its value?
    All of those will be worth about half what you paid in a few years. Look at what some Focus's and Cobalts are going for right now.
    FYI I hear theres people out there willing to pay 1 million dollars just to spend one night with a Sonata

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Sold the Talon... Sonata?

Originally posted by 20incheyes

FYI I hear theres people out there willing to pay 1 million dollars just to spend one night with a Sonata
    hahaha.

I think for the price the Sonata is pretty hard to beat right now.
    Last edited by A790; 05-01-2008 at 02:23 PM.

how are the resale values of the sonata's tho?

my friend owned two hyundai's (not sonata's), both were horrible in terms of reliability
    he's been in for services that other cars wouldn't even be near at the same mileage, we've almost worked out that he could've gotten a higher end and more reliable car with all the repair costs

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

dont get a focus, i use to work at a ford dealership. They are shite. I rather get a sonata

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast