Quantcast
xbox 360 vs sony PS3 GTA IV Edition - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: xbox 360 vs sony PS3 GTA IV Edition

My Ride
    Model S

Seems that 360 version is freezing just as much, according to this user poll:

http://poll.pollhost.com/dmxhZGNvbGU...sCUFzc29ydGVk/

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

my 360 has froze like 4 times while playing online
    rediculars i tell ya
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by googe
    Seems that 360 version is freezing just as much, according to this user poll:

http://poll.pollhost.com/dmxhZGNvbGU...sCUFzc29ydGVk/
    OMG SONY FAN BOY ALERT
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    Model S

here's another side-by-side comparison video

http://www.gamevideos.com/download?v...o_1280x720.wmv

The PS3 handles the water better. Watch at 1:10, the water looks more natural like its washing into the sand, and reflects better. The 360 water looks more like a hard physical object that just stops.

Lighting is better on PS3 also.

But yeah it really is grasping at straws

Not a fanboy, just trying to be objective and give credit where it's due. I still prefer the 360, but so far it looks like the ps3 version of this game came out (very) slightly better, graphically.

I can't tell the resolution difference, but I am watching on a computer monitor.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

are the differences really that big of an issue?
    i remember playing GTA 2 on the PS the game play is still fun as hell and the worst graphics in history!!
    haha i swear the most important difference between the two is how comfortable and easy the controllers are to use
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by googe
    here's another side-by-side comparison video

http://www.gamevideos.com/download?v...o_1280x720.wmv

The PS3 handles the water better. Watch at 1:10, the water looks more natural like its washing into the sand, and reflects better. The 360 water looks more like a hard physical object that just stops.

Lighting is better on PS3 also.

But yeah it really is grasping at straws

Not a fanboy, just trying to be objective and give credit where it's due. I still prefer the 360, but so far it looks like the ps3 version of this game came out (very) slightly better, graphically.

I can't tell the resolution difference, but I am watching on a computer monitor.
    If I was posting this you know the 360 fanboys here would be all over me like a fat kid on a smartie.

My Ride
    Model S

Yeah since the differences are so minor, I decided online play is what I care about so I got what all my friends have and returned the PS3 version for 360.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's a quick web poll on GTA4 problems.

http://poll.pollhost.com/dmxhZGNvbGU...Fzc29ydGVkCTE/

360 no probs - 10,534 (85%)
    360 problems - 1,858 (15%)
    360 total - 12,392

ps3 no probs - 5,353 (67%)
    ps3 problems - 2,623 (33%)
    ps3 total - 7,946

And of course a little more fuel to the fire... 360 total vs PS3 total is at 61/39 .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2
    And of course a little more fuel to the fire... 360 total vs PS3 total is at 61/39 .
    Next NPD report would be interesting.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's a huge comparison for xbox vs PS3.

http://www.videogamer.com/features/a...-2008-389.html

They gave the win to the 360 version.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Geez, threads like this are certainly whittling away at my Playstation-fanboyism...

And with backwards PS2 compatibility becoming moot (40Gb - none, 80Gb - flaky, 60Gb - discontinued), that's one less argument to stay with Sony on this next gen.

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

argh its so hard to pick, the 360 looks better in some areas, the ps3 looks better in others. on page 5 and 6 of the site where they are doing the photo comparison, the ps3 looked amazing in the flight screenshot, all the little details just makes it look that much better, but in the one where hes walking on the street, the 360 gets my vote for that one. the colors look just a little better. so so hard to pick

Just pick one and don't look back. You aren't going to notice these small differences unless they're side by side or you play one for a long duration and transition to the other right after.

they are the same ... if you want to play online then choose 360 otherwise it doesn't matter ... Rockstar is working on the patch for PS3 right now

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by gp36912
    argh its so hard to pick, the 360 looks better in some areas, the ps3 looks better in others. on page 5 and 6 of the site where they are doing the photo comparison, the ps3 looked amazing in the flight screenshot, all the little details just makes it look that much better, but in the one where hes walking on the street, the 360 gets my vote for that one. the colors look just a little better. so so hard to pick
    I never look at still shots of comparisons. You have to look at actual motion. You don't play the game at 1 frame per second, so small errors in a single screenshot really can't be seen at all.

Originally posted by beecue
    they are the same ... if you want to play online then choose 360 otherwise it doesn't matter ... Rockstar is working on the patch for PS3 right now
    The post that says patch coming soon is BS. Sony is working with Rockstar on the problem right now, because like I said in the other GTA thread, it looks like it's hardware related. They're still trying to figure out what's causing it. Can't really make a patch if you dunno where the problem lies.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: xbox 360 vs sony PS3 GTA IV Edition

There's some speculation as to why there's freezing on one of the PS3 dev forums. It looks like GTA is seriously pushing the hardware to the max. On the 360's, guys that are on the verge of RROD are getting lockups, makes sense. On the PS3, it's a little more complicated. The PS3 uses the Cell processor, which has 1 PPE and 8 SPE's. Because the yield on the Cell was really bad (something like 80% failure rate), every PS3 shipped with a single disabled SPE's to improve yield rates. It means that if 1 PPE and 7 SPE's work, it's still deemed usable. The problem here is that of those 7 SPE's, some could potentially be borderline and could fail under stress. 1 of the SPE's is used for the OS, so developers could use 6 of them for their games. GTA4 pushes the 6 SPE's so hard that some are failing under stress, and voila, random lockup.

If the above scenario is the case, then it'll be interesting how that could even be addressed in a patch.
    Here's the first official PS3 fix from Take-Two support. It's not a patch, but a bunch of stuff aimed at reducing CPU usage, which suggests my quoted scenario to be fairly accurate in terms of what Sony and R* are looking at.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190279.html

Please run through the following, go through in order.

1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.

2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.

3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.

4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.

5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.

6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.

7 ) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.

8 ) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.

9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.

Once the game has started please turn off the following features:

1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.

2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.

3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.

My Ride
    a tank

^^^ if these issue

I wonder if I should just wait till the PC version comes out haha
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

"
    I wonder if I should just wait till the PC version comes out haha"

actually it might not be a bad idea. I have not had 1 failure yet on my ps3 60g but visually i'm a little dissapointd with this game. Maybe its asking a little to much on a sandbox but i really thoughts the graphics would be better on this game considering how long they had. some aspects of the game look like san andreas on HGH
    I imagine the pc version will be visually audjustable like all pc games but you better have a good pc to run it

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by JohnsonNJohnson
    "
    I wonder if I should just wait till the PC version comes out haha"

actually it might not be a bad idea. I have not had 1 failure yet on my ps3 60g but visually i'm a little dissapointd with this game. Maybe its asking a little to much on a sandbox but i really thoughts the graphics would be better on this game considering how long they had. some aspects of the game look like san andreas on HGH
    I imagine the pc version will be visually audjustable like all pc games but you better have a good pc to run it
    Are you fucking blind? This game looks hundreds of times better than SA and is probably the absolute most the consoles can handle. I doubt the PC version will look any better, because it will be using the same art resources as the console versions.. it looks as good as it possibly can. It is too much to ask.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: Re: xbox 360 vs sony PS3 GTA IV Edition

Here's the first official PS3 fix from Take-Two support. It's not a patch, but a bunch of stuff aimed at reducing CPU usage, which suggests my quoted scenario to be fairly accurate in terms of what Sony and R* are looking at.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190279.html

Hahahaha Brutal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast