Quantcast
New NIN single "Discipline": Free download - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New NIN single "Discipline": Free download

My Ride
    I like. :)

Thumbs up New NIN single "Discipline" & album "The Slip": Free download

From NIN.com it's a legal, high-quality, MP3 download (about 8 MB) with track artwork embedded. You supply your e-mail address and zip/postal code and they send you a download link:

http://dl.nin.com/discipline/nin

It's a friggin' solid track. Also, the comment in the file info for the MP3 says: "Go to www.nin.com May 5".

Trent Reznor/NIN continuing to do good stuff!

[Edited: subject line to include album; as of May 5 you can download the full album from www.nin.com]
    Last edited by treg50; 05-05-2008 at 08:17 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Good track. I got this a few days ago, jammin'.

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

Sweet thanks a bunch for the link
    Member since 2003.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Awesome. Thanks.

My Ride

For all you NIN fans presale tickets for calgary are tomorrow!
    Member since 2003.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I was pretty disappointed when I saw Trent in concert last time. He just didn't seem "into" it. And with the release of "Ghosts", I am not entirely sure he's putting everything into his work anymore.

Still, since he's coming to town I might as well give him a second chance. The guy got me through a lot of tough times as a teen....

My Ride

Oh ya new album "the slip" is now available 100% FREE.
    www.nin.com
    Link is on the top left.
    Member since 2003.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Well, I've listened to the whole album. Granted, I have the crappiest speakers known to man. (Thanks Logitech.)

I still have a pretty good idea what the album is all about though - despite the poor sound quality.

As feared, the album appears to be another experiment more than anything. At least he does some singing in this one, but it still has absolutely no apparent link to the angst-driven albums he used to make, like Broken, Downward Spiral, or even The Fragile (which I tout as his last decent body of work)

I am not sure if it was the drugs, or if it was the presence of a record label that kept his previous work focused and true to the industrial genre. But I'm afraid that at this point I must concede that Trent has (IMO) lost touch with what his devout listeners want to hear. I just don't know who he expects his listeners to be. People new to his music will not accept it due to it's originality and continued break from the mainstream. And I suspect many people who are familiar with his work will feel the same way I do.

Very disappointing indeed.

My Ride

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Well, I've listened to the whole album. Granted, I have the crappiest speakers known to man. (Thanks Logitech.)

I still have a pretty good idea what the album is all about though - despite the poor sound quality.

As feared, the album appears to be another experiment more than anything. At least he does some singing in this one, but it still has absolutely no apparent link to the angst-driven albums he used to make, like Broken, Downward Spiral, or even The Fragile (which I tout as his last decent body of work)

I am not sure if it was the drugs, or if it was the presence of a record label that kept his previous work focused and true to the industrial genre. But I'm afraid that at this point I must concede that Trent has (IMO) lost touch with what his devout listeners want to hear. I just don't know who he expects his listeners to be. People new to his music will not accept it due to it's originality and continued break from the mainstream. And I suspect many people who are familiar with his work will feel the same way I do.

Very disappointing indeed.
    I have followed NIN for awhile, i still have halo 1 on casette. I dont think that he is losing it, more just changing with the times. Nothing wrong with that. Still good music, and i think that with teeth was the best nin album since downward spiral.
    Member since 2003.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Casette! That's awesome... I threw all mine out years ago.

Ok - perhaps I'm being a bit harsh. With Teeth and Year Zero were not that bad. Still regulars in my CD rotation. They both had some decent tracks. But they still didn't compare to Downward Spiral. Ghosts is not a good album IMO, and this new album doesn't seem much better (although I still have to give it a chance on a solid stereo.) Can you honestly tell me you believe these last two efforts are simply him "changing with the times" rather than being unable to reestablish his prior intensity? I quite disagree with you there....

But let's face it - it's quite hard to compete with such a masterpiece I guess. You can only expect so much from one guy! I guess I've always been waiting for another album with the same intensity and endless amazing tracks that DS had. I was just hoping that without the constraints of a record label that he would have created it by now....

My Ride

Oh I do agree that Ghosts was a waste of his and my time. I have come to learn that certain NIN music i will love and others are just not for me, like all these remix albums and whatnot just dont cut it for me. Basically if he sings in it i will most likely enjoy it.
    Member since 2003.

Downward Spiral was probably one of the most overplayed cd's in my collection in jr high.

I actually had to buy another copy because the other one had too many scratches from listening too it so much.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    I like. :)

SWWEEET May 5th

I say this new album is AWESOME. 'The Slip' is their best in a while. I fucking love the energy, drum beats, with hints of early 90's industrial but not too much. To me it has shades of probably their two best albums Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral + lots of new stuff.

Experimental is what NIN has always been, IMO. Succeed or flop he went for it and learned his lessons.

1-6 fast and awesome, then you got three chill out tracks that get better in succession, then track 10 concludes the album by taking it back up a notch. F'ing nice. GOOD job I say. If I bought this for $11.99 I wouldn't have regretted it. Major respect to Trent Reznor/NIN for making this free and doing something different than the industry norm.