Quantcast
APX Alarm System - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: APX Alarm System

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

APX showed up my house with a young guy and an older one and I may have been interested, but the approach the young guy was using only pissed me off. It seemed like he had just gotten out of salesman school and was trying every closing tool in the book.

Really pushy tactics, like he would be able to bully me into a system. Everytime he said, "when, we install the system.." and each time I'd correct him, "IF you install the system...", he kept trying to get me to nod my head yes with him. Once I shook my head no as he was nodding yes just to fuck with him. He tried pushing past me without being asked in to point out where they would put sensors, this really ended the visit. My explanation, "sounds great, but I'm going bowling, maybe next time."

There was something about the guy that I just couldn't stand. If the older guy would have lead the conversation I may have signed up as he seemed to be decent and I didn't mind talking to him when he actually spoke.

They said they were in our area for a limited time, and soon actual salesman would come around selling the system but we could get it for free. Every day I see more and more APX signs
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

I dislike people coming to my door all together
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-13-2019 at 03:22 PM.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

I consulted for the Lethbridge division this spring. The entire company is a joke. Aside from their abismal hiring process (theres no formal/structured interview, and they wonder why more than half of recruits drop out of training before the summer comes, their sales strategies that they are "taught" are unprofessional. They have all sorts of sleazy/pushy sales tactics. I'd stay far away from them.

My friend, who jsut had his first baby, had a sales associate come to his house at 9:30pm! Woke the baby up. Didn't understand why he couldn't come in the house to discuss different packages and then proceeded to ask if my friend knew of any neighbours that DON'T HAVE SECURITY SYSTEMS??? Who asks that?
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

These people came to my house the other day. It seemed pretty decent at first. I told them to give me a day to look over thier contracts and find out more about them, which I'm glad I did.

Here is the BBB link to them:

http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-rev...ovo-ut-4002276

A D- rating from BBB and the negative feedback gathered from google was enough to make me pass on this company

I don`t understand how some people can sign long term contracts with questionable companies and not do thier research first.

anybody heard of eagle security controls before?

i'm currently using united alarm ... its okay but cheap $20 a month + free install ..

www.unitedalarm.ca
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm on united as well. It was already installed in the house I bught, so I took over the monitoring for $20/mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Save your money. Just get the yard signs and window stickers, same effect without the monthly charges.

One of my neighbors had an alarm go off due to a faulty component and 1 hour later the "security" vehicle shows up. This is with ADT.

A neighbor up by my old place had an alarm go off, again due to a faulty component. AlarmForce showed up over an hour later.

Most robberies are smash and grab at under a few minutes, and from experience it takes longer than that just for the "security" company to make the initial calls on the account list.

Even in the REMOTE chance the "security" guy arrives on scene while the robbery is taking place he'll still need time to shit his pants, say a prayer, wish he finished high school, and then call the cops who are still 6-8 minutes away.

IMHO "security" systems are a huge rip off bordering on total scams. You're buying a false piece of mind. Set your alarm off one day and just wait in your car outside. See how long it takes for the security car to show up.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Aren't they supposed to phone the police in case of an alarm after no confirmation from the owner?

I don't think paying for home alarm is useless. It's not necessity, more like peace of mind. Another thing is fire, they will phone the fire department when the smoke detector goes off. That would help when you are not home or in bed at night.

Plus, you do get a bit of discount on your home insurance, not a whole lot though.

Originally posted by lilmira
    Aren't they supposed to phone the police in case of an alarm after no confirmation from the owner?

Check your contract for the providers policy. I don't know many local companies that direct call the police when an alarm is triggered. There's a cost involved to false alarms, both in operational losses and fines, and there's lot of false alarms.

I don't think paying for home alarm is useless. It's not necessity, more like peace of mind.

That's personal choice. If you feel like you and your possessions are protected from violence or theft by a term contract alarm system with a monthly fee, well....more power to ya.

Another thing is fire, they will phone the fire department when the smoke detector goes off. That would help when you are not home or in bed at night.

Sure about that? Check the company policy on fire alerts. Lots still deploy a car first, then call in if there is something. There is quite a few that do immediately call to fire dept though. Might prevent the entire house from burning down if you're not home, but it'll still be burnt, full of toxins, smoke damage, and the fire dept will pump in a few thousand gallons of water anyway. You won't be living in that house a while. If you were home and sleeping your smoke detectors would have woken you, and maybe you could have done something, or not.

Plus, you do get a bit of discount on your home insurance, not a whole lot though.

My last two providers didn't offer any discount. The alarm doesn't do shit. The window stickers and yard signs do. A visual preventative works well for low lifes and crack heads. Why risk it? They'll just go to the next place that doesn't have evidence of "security".
    Last edited by Ven; 10-08-2009 at 05:24 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My alarm calls the police first. This is through United. They give you the option. I'm on the hook for the costs associated with False alarms, not the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    BMW E70

Mine calls the house first. If there is no answer they call me and make their way down my call list. The company I use (ADT) does dispatch the police unless you've opted to be on their "alarm response program" which they send out their own car, or whomever they contract out to for $5/month. Which, on an annual basis, would work out cheaper than forking out for one false alarm response by the Police.

I guess its the peace of mind for me. My system is monitored up for burglary, fire, flooding and carbon monoxide. I think the savings on my home insurance policy is only about $50/year, if that.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yeah, I'll be on the hook for false alarm. That's the one thing stopping me from getting home security for the longest time since I have a dog. After doing some research, I found out that the sensors they use are ok with dogs. So I finally signed up. No false alarm so far.

The one thing I made sure is that they would contact either the police or the fire department depending on the situation. I don't want some security guy showing up, what can they do?

There are a lot of disputes from people not reading the contract before they sign, may be due to the pressure from door-to-door salesman? So just make sure you understand what you are getting yourself into, it doesn't really matter much as long as you stay with the bigger companies. The other thing you want to be careful is company about to go under, I'm not sure what would happen to the contract if that happens.

With an alarm system won't you save on your house insurance?

I'm not sure exactly what the savings might be but it will save you some money. But you might just be paying those savings back to the alarm company plus some extra.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2