Quantcast
APX Alarm System - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: APX Alarm System

Default APX Alarm System

sup guys. earlier today, i had a guy from this company asking me if i'd put up one of their signs on my lawn (basically advertise their name). in return, they would give me all the devices and sensors needed. he said that the company is new to canada so they're trying to expand their business here through "word of mouth".

i'm just curious if these guys are legit or not. i've checked their website and it looks legit to me but i'd like to make sure that he's not just scoping out our area and shit...

thanks in advance!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Legit, but they make you sign a monitoring contract for a few years...that's how they make their money off you. If you are gonna spend that kind of cash, you might as well check out ADT or something.

hmm, interesting. i was just curious cuz you usually don't see companies going up to people's doors asking if they already have a security system. thanks.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    a wrx.

Plus they're mormons. Never trust the mormons.

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

ya man fuck those douche bags. Especially because they are trying to make you think your getting a deal when they actually give the equipment for free to every person who signs up!

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

All security company's do door to door. ALL of them.

^i guess they were just the first one to come to my door, lol.

My Ride
    '98 Camry

They came to my door last week... They said they were going to install brand new equipment into my house for free, as long as I signed up for a 36 month contract...

I don't do contracts, so I politely declined.

But I had to say the sales guy's friendly approach was a lot better than the two assholes who tried to make me feel guilty for not donating money to some starving third world children.

^which area of the city do you live in?

the guy who came to my door was really nice and polite but he kept rambling on and about the system and what they'd include if i signed up. do people actually read the "no soliciting, please" sign, anymore???

My Ride
    '98 Camry

I'm in Tuscany... and the guy would go on and on about the equipment and when I asked about the contract he would gloss over it as if it was no big deal and then return to talking about the equipment....

Probably the same guy....

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I worked for a company like this. It is a sales approach.

Long story short, its not a scam, if you're interested in a monitored security system, its a good deal, contracts are usually 2-3 years.

Push for extra equipment, we made our real money on upselling extra equipment, but we would price them quite high - but I was always willing to give out some free equipment to make a sale.

They're harmless.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Default apxalarm-pretty good

i actually got a system from them and its been pretty good. i called adt, and brinks before but they would never give me a real answer on what everything would cost unless i let some guy come to my house-no thanks.

the sales guy went through everything, i got 8 different sensors, signed up for 3 years(which is what everyone else does too) and i pay 39 bucks. seemed pretty good and everything has been good since

My Ride
    96 Saab 900 turbo, 95 Z26, 99 CBR 600 F4, pic one.

Unfortunately the common misconception with these systems is that if your home is broken into and the alarm is set off that the police will come. They wont. A private alarm response company with an unarmed rent a cop will come, EVENTUALLY. Problem with those rent a cops is they have no real authority and have to follow all traffic laws to get there, sometimes from across the city.

They are only really good when you are on vacation. Atleast then if your house gets broken into you know about it and something can be done to close it back up without it sitting open for weeks at a time.

You are better off with a big dog as far as Im concerned.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

I've signed up for this a few months ago,....no real big issues, got a lot of extras with the alarm. Its cheaper then what my parents are paying for their ADT.
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Alarms (ie. noisemakers) do help a bit in quieter neighbourhoods - if they are set to go off right - because people will notice, and at the very least have a look at whats going on.

Another good idea is a camera security system - something like what wilife offers, which transmits the camera signal through your home power grid.

A 4 camera system would run under 2000$, and thats including buying a used, dedicated computer system for it (you could use your own PC but it would have to be pretty fast).

My Ride
    Audi

APX came to my house, a husband/wife team (younger couple). Told me that it was $39/month for 3 years, went over what it covered. Said they were only giving away 3 alarms in my community and I was the first house etc. I took them for their word and signed it.

While waiting for the installer to show up, i read the contract over again - it said $49/month for 5 years. My fault for not reading it closely when I originally signed it. I called them back and told them I am not going with their system and to cancel the install.

I'm going with United instead, my contract is $20/month for 3 year term - put in glass break, extra sensors, flood monitoring in my basement and an extra panel, $400 for the equipment.

My Ride

Originally posted by hampstor
    APX came to my house, a husband/wife team (younger couple). Told me that it was $39/month for 3 years, went over what it covered. Said they were only giving away 3 alarms in my community and I was the first house etc. I took them for their word and signed it.

While waiting for the installer to show up, i read the contract over again - it said $49/month for 5 years. My fault for not reading it closely when I originally signed it. I called them back and told them I am not going with their system and to cancel the install.

I'm going with United instead, my contract is $20/month for 3 year term - put in glass break, extra sensors, flood monitoring in my basement and an extra panel, $400 for the equipment.

When I sold these systems, we used the contracts from the local dealers, but our terms were different. We crossed out the price and duration, then signed our initials.

When the security provider recieves the paperwork, it comes from the various distributors, they create the account based on the terms outlined by the distributor.

In other words, you probably would have gotten the price and duration quoted by the salespeople.

Having worked in the industry, it is my opinion that ADT is the best among the big security companies.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by freshprince1

When I sold these systems, we used the contracts from the local dealers, but our terms were different. We crossed out the price and duration, then signed our initials.

When the security provider recieves the paperwork, it comes from the various distributors, they create the account based on the terms outlined by the distributor.

In other words, you probably would have gotten the price and duration quoted by the salespeople.

Having worked in the industry, it is my opinion that ADT is the best among the big security companies.
    Good to know, but since it wasn't crossed out/initialed, I felt it was safer to bet on the signed paperwork holding more weight then the word of the door-to-door salesperson

My Ride

Originally posted by hampstor

Good to know, but since it wasn't crossed out/initialed, I felt it was safer to bet on the signed paperwork holding more weight then the word of the door-to-door salesperson
    Fair enough, better safe then sorry. pardon the cliche.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Default Liberty Security

I had another company called Liberty Security, the sales guy said he was an advertising rep or something. But what caught my attention is he said that it was based in Canada and monitored by Voxcom. I'm tired of my Brinks, I have to call Texas whenever i have a problem. Does anyone know anything about these guys?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast