Quantcast
Strathmore Investment/Development Opportunity - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 254

Thread: Strathmore Investment/Development Opportunity

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,804
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:23 PM.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,951
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ignorant or not, he was still part of it, he holds some part of the accountability, and he should have at least tried to make it right.

    IMO working with the victims to provide them with inside information they could have used as leverage would have been a huge help. Additionally he really should be helping to spear heading a class action suit. Those would have been the minimum actions he should have taken to have a clear conscience.
    My point I was trying to get at was that this isn't a scam, just a shitty investment that has pretty much stalled at this point. No investment is guaranteed, even though it was sold that way. I don't know if anyone would win a lawsuit as the investment is still operating and not making any money. At least that's how I understand this investment. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    He's long walked away from all this, if I was to guess, his inside information is as much as what maxboost has, that crappy newsletter update once in a while for investors.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    100% Bow tie
    Posts
    2,625
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    There were several posts in this thread regarding people they knew who had bought into similar land development investment opportunities and that it was at least 20 years before they actually realized any returns. How is this any different as there is devolpment happening, one can actually see it from highway 1? I know there was discussion of how soon one could start realizing returns but was any of that actually a part of any legal documentation?
    Moran supreme

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    FB6
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There were several posts in this thread regarding people they knew who had bought into similar land development investment opportunities and that it was at least 20 years before they actually realized any returns. How is this any different as there is devolpment happening, one can actually see it from highway 1? I know there was discussion of how soon one could start realizing returns but was any of that actually a part of any legal documentation?
    This isn't any different. The development exists and it's just selling super slow, much slower than the original marketing material projected. The returns were never guaranteed and the investment for all legal purposes is valid and there is little recourse for the investor. These investments are risky and offer basically zero exit opportunities until the project is complete. I am one of the investors and admit it was a crappy investment in hindsight, but this is probably in a slightly better position than the Walton Development Corp. crap that's going through a restructuring right now.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m still friends with ZorroAMG, and see him whenever he’s around town. Last chatted with him last year when he visited and I took him to a Flames game, brought this topic up in passing.

    End of the day, he was selling an investment and doing his job. He himself believed that it was a good investment, and have significantly more tied up in this investment than the 2 beyonders that he sold to combined. Not trying to defend him here, but I mean if you’re in sales, you’re going to gloss over the upside and ignore the downsides, that’s just the nature of sales. What makes it worse is that he believed in the hype himself.

    For him, it’s his own family that’s involved, and that makes it tough for him from both sides because he’s friends with a lot of members here, plus it’s created tension with him with his family as he’s also an investor. I feel he sold this investment in good faith, like I said, he’s invested much more than the people that he’s sold to here. I can tell you he’s not rolling in cash and making out a bandit here, and his investment is tied up just like other investors in this venture.

    Comparing him to Banerjee is really unfair IMO, investments have it's risks, and it was a bad investment that was sold.
    The BIG difference here is that he wasn’t just some random sales guy. This was HIS FAMILY who all have taken millions and millions in fees for “managing” the “investment”. From what I’ve been told his family and their associates are known for shady business practices in real estate and other ventures. These people have all profited off the backs of hard working people knowing all along they were selling fools gold to uneducated investors.

    He signed up only a handful of beyonders but also signed up dozens more in Calgary to which he personally made some great commission I’m sure. He’s never apologized or tried to make this right. This is his family, he’s not innocent nor can use an excuse that it was just a job and he didn’t know what he was doing.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    CAL
    My Ride
    '19 Ridgeline
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No investment is guaranteed, even though it was sold that way.
    Is that not a material breach of securities law?

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    100% Bow tie
    Posts
    2,625
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't any different. The development exists and it's just selling super slow, much slower than the original marketing material projected. The returns were never guaranteed and the investment for all legal purposes is valid and there is little recourse for the investor. These investments are risky and offer basically zero exit opportunities until the project is complete. I am one of the investors and admit it was a crappy investment in hindsight, but this is probably in a slightly better position than the Walton Development Corp. crap that's going through a restructuring right now.
    So if you can recognize this for what it is then why are people all in an uproar, especially people who never even invested in this?
    Moran supreme

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,951
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The BIG difference here is that he wasn’t just some random sales guy. This was HIS FAMILY who all have taken millions and millions in fees for “managing” the “investment”. From what I’ve been told his family and their associates are known for shady business practices in real estate and other ventures. These people have all profited off the backs of hard working people knowing all along they were selling fools gold to uneducated investors.

    He signed up only a handful of beyonders but also signed up dozens more in Calgary to which he personally made some great commission I’m sure. He’s never apologized or tried to make this right. This is his family, he’s not innocent nor can use an excuse that it was just a job and he didn’t know what he was doing.
    Ya I dunno what to tell you here. I haven’t heard anything about the people behind this investment being shady, nor has anyone brought that up. The 2 who have invested in this thread sees it as a poor investment. The way I see it he worked for his family for a short time, sold a bunch, bought a bunch personally believing the hype, didn’t pan out and did something else. Dunno what you really expect him to do to make it right seeing as he’s in the same position, but you clearly believe differently.

    I mean, if the principals took the money and ran, then yea, fair point, but that’s not what’s happening here. The investment is simply not as profitable as projected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that not a material breach of securities law?
    I should have used a better choice of words. He never guaranteed anything, just sold on the positives and potentials. Just meant that people believed it was a guaranteed sure thing.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,804
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:23 PM.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    2,918
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    When has anyone known Rage to be uniformed or to support underhanded dealings? I'm inclined to believe he's more right than the rest of you.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,951
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When has anyone known Rage to be uniformed or to support underhanded dealings? I'm inclined to believe he's more right than the rest of you.
    I mean I could be wrong and look like a complete idiot, but based on the few times that I brought it up before with him, I didn’t get the sense that it was anything but a poor investment. Only reason I chimed in on this thread because we talked about it a bit last year. He felt bad that he sold to friends here, dunno what more can be expected.

    I just find it odd that a bad overpromised investment is being compared to a scam, if there’s evidence to suggest that it’s anything but, anything illegal about it, bring it up.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Axis powers
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    The next step would be him coming back to beyond and posting a direct update, even year old information can have pieces added or missing from the original conversation
    Sig nuked by mod.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    100% Bow tie
    Posts
    2,625
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The same reason we get in an uproar when somebody gets murdered, or assaulted, or raped. We as a society have certain values and expectations of people that coexist with us, and when people violate those we act as a group to deter the behaviour.

    This is a pretty fundamental principle. If we all just ignored when somebody was wronged, there would be an epidemic of scams and crime in general.

    I mean really, if we strip down your point to what it is, what you are saying is stupid people either deserve to get scammed, or they should be smarter so they don't get scammed. I suppose there is some pragmatic validity to that, but I also know there are a lot of people out there smarter than the rest of us that would take every penny we have if they could get away with it.
    But has anyone been truly wronged here? The company still exists, the land is being developed and homes are being built sand as such, it would appear that there will be a good return on any monies invested. Maybe the main issue is the timeframe that people were believing they would start seeing some favourable returns in and even at that, is there actually anything in writing that promised some sort of expected timeline?
    Moran supreme

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,804
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:23 PM.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But has anyone been truly wronged here? The company still exists, the land is being developed and homes are being built sand as such, it would appear that there will be a good return on any monies invested. Maybe the main issue is the timeframe that people were believing they would start seeing some favourable returns in and even at that, is there actually anything in writing that promised some sort of expected timeline?
    Step 1: create an “investment” opportunity
    Step 2: market such opportunity, promising outlandish returns, to people that are not educated in the business segment such opportunity exists
    Step 3: collect tens of millions of dollars (not sure the exact numbers here) and shake a lot of hands and keep promising amazing returns
    Step 4: pay yourself, family, and associates millions of dollars for being “managers” of the “investment”. In short, make yourself rich before any investment dollars are returned to investors.
    Step 5: tell investors times are tough so the opportunities timeframe has been pushed out and returns will be delayed.
    Step 6: fall off the face of the planet for multiple years and not respond to previous investors inquiries all while still paying yourself and associates for “managing” the “investment”
    Step 7: slowly work on the opportunity, but don’t really put any effort into it, so you cannot be charged with fraud.
    Step 8: hire your own companies and families companies to build the project promised to investors without competitively bidding out work to make even more money.
    Step 9: continue to collect “management” fees, slowly work on project to avoid legal problems, refuse to update original investors, and hire yourself and family to work on the project.
    Step 10: ???????

    If you can’t see how real estate projects like this are a scam I don’t know what to tell you. The people who started this did so not as an investment opportunity but as a get rich quick scheme and have continued to leech off the project for years and years and will continue to do so for years to come. These people are millionaires simply by fucking gullible people over and taking their money under false pretences.

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    100% Bow tie
    Posts
    2,625
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Step 1: create an “investment” opportunity
    Step 2: market such opportunity, promising outlandish returns, to people that are not educated in the business segment such opportunity exists
    Step 3: collect tens of millions of dollars (not sure the exact numbers here) and shake a lot of hands and keep promising amazing returns
    Step 4: pay yourself, family, and associates millions of dollars for being “managers” of the “investment”. In short, make yourself rich before any investment dollars are returned to investors.
    Step 5: tell investors times are tough so the opportunities timeframe has been pushed out and returns will be delayed.
    Step 6: fall off the face of the planet for multiple years and not respond to previous investors inquiries all while still paying yourself and associates for “managing” the “investment”
    Step 7: slowly work on the opportunity, but don’t really put any effort into it, so you cannot be charged with fraud.
    Step 8: hire your own companies and families companies to build the project promised to investors without competitively bidding out work to make even more money.
    Step 9: continue to collect “management” fees, slowly work on project to avoid legal problems, refuse to update original investors, and hire yourself and family to work on the project.
    Step 10: ???????

    If you can’t see how real estate projects like this are a scam I don’t know what to tell you. The people who started this did so not as an investment opportunity but as a get rich quick scheme and have continued to leech off the project for years and years and will continue to do so for years to come. These people are millionaires simply by fucking gullible people over and taking their money under false pretences.
    I do not necessarily disagree with you or SP but the Panorama Hills example that was mentioned in this thread as well as someone mentioning a similar industrial land development investment opportunity both show that these types of land development investment deals will be very long term in their returns. No one in this thread has actually posted anything to date to show that the Strathmore deal is anything different yet. Does it sound bad, hell yeah but not a single person has provided any details of the wording of the agreements made or the particulars of the investment.
    Moran supreme

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    2,938
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m still friends with ZorroAMG, and see him whenever he’s around town. Last chatted with him last year when he visited and I took him to a Flames game, brought this topic up in passing.

    End of the day, he was selling an investment and doing his job. He himself believed that it was a good investment, and have significantly more tied up in this investment than the 2 beyonders that he sold to combined. Not trying to defend him here, but I mean if you’re in sales, you’re going to gloss over the upside and ignore the downsides, that’s just the nature of sales. What makes it worse is that he believed in the hype himself.

    For him, it’s his own family that’s involved, and that makes it tough for him from both sides because he’s friends with a lot of members here, plus it’s created tension with him with his family as he’s also an investor.
    Doesn't seem like a scam to me, but the sales pitch was waaayyyy too aggressive and optimistic for someone using their own identity to present an opportunity. He wasn't selling as "CancorpSaleRep69" he was using his OG Beyond status, and that's the issue.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,985
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Step 1: create an “investment” opportunity
    Step 2: market such opportunity, promising outlandish returns, to people that are not educated in the business segment such opportunity exists
    Step 3: collect tens of millions of dollars (not sure the exact numbers here) and shake a lot of hands and keep promising amazing returns
    Step 4: pay yourself, family, and associates millions of dollars for being “managers” of the “investment”. In short, make yourself rich before any investment dollars are returned to investors.
    Step 5: tell investors times are tough so the opportunities timeframe has been pushed out and returns will be delayed.
    Step 6: fall off the face of the planet for multiple years and not respond to previous investors inquiries all while still paying yourself and associates for “managing” the “investment”
    Step 7: slowly work on the opportunity, but don’t really put any effort into it, so you cannot be charged with fraud.
    Step 8: hire your own companies and families companies to build the project promised to investors without competitively bidding out work to make even more money.
    Step 9: continue to collect “management” fees, slowly work on project to avoid legal problems, refuse to update original investors, and hire yourself and family to work on the project.
    Step 10: ???????

    If you can’t see how real estate projects like this are a scam I don’t know what to tell you. The people who started this did so not as an investment opportunity but as a get rich quick scheme and have continued to leech off the project for years and years and will continue to do so for years to come. These people are millionaires simply by fucking gullible people over and taking their money under false pretences.
    Do you have any evidence that this is even true?

    If the single person that you know feels screwed over by this piss-poor deal, why not take their asses to court instead of hoping Mark/Zorro will come around on Beyond saying "whoops sorry here's your money back."
    Last edited by msommers; 03-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you have any evidence that this is even true?

    If the single person that you know feels screwed over by this piss-poor deal, why not take their asses to court instead of hoping Mark/Zorro will come around on Beyond saying "whoops sorry here's your money back."
    What they did is not technically illegal. My problem is that it is extremely shady and anyone on here claiming that it’s not is laughable. These type of developments are a get rich quick scheme where the “developers” become multi-millionaires overnight off the backs of investors who were sold fools gold by overly aggressive sales people like Mark. Mark was just doing his job, great. My problem is that he was doing the job on behalf of his family and made a lot of money selling this crap and got his family rich. He’s not some random sales guy that was trying to just pay the bills - it’s his family.

    There is no money to be returned. Mark isn’t expected to return anyone’s money. He didn’t break the law. He just sold shitty investments under false pretences and costed some people their life savings. I guess that’s fine though because he’s a beyond member right?

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,985
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What they did is not technically illegal. My problem is that it is extremely shady and anyone on here claiming that it’s not is laughable. These type of developments are a get rich quick scheme where the “developers” become multi-millionaires overnight off the backs of investors who were sold fools gold by overly aggressive sales people like Mark. Mark was just doing his job, great. My problem is that he was doing the job on behalf of his family and made a lot of money selling this crap and got his family rich. He’s not some random sales guy that was trying to just pay the bills - it’s his family.

    There is no money to be returned. Mark isn’t expected to return anyone’s money. He didn’t break the law. He just sold shitty investments under false pretences and costed some people their life savings. I guess that’s fine though because he’s a beyond member right?
    I don't know Mark, his family or barely anyone here on Beyond who is "OG" on a personal level. I don't have a dog in this debacle but here's the thing. Even if my best friend approached with me with some grandiose "investment opportunity" it would be my own responsible to conduct DD or accept the risk of blindly investing. How many companies on the stock market right now are promising the world and delivering nothing? How many new-drug trials are "on the horizon" and could "change the world?" How many small oil companies are just praying to be bought out because their properties suck and they promote it as "underrated?" So many fucking people are millionaires in Calgary under that exact scenario.

    As shady as Mark and his family may or may not be, it's still the responsible of the person giving up their own money in hopes of getting rich.

    Even if you do your own DD and feel you have legal backing, it still doesn't guarantee you won't get fucked (my own condo is a great example).
    Last edited by msommers; 03-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for good quality body shops in calgary/strathmore area

    By bmxneon420 in forum Cosmetic and Styling Modifications
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 07-28-2006, 03:01 AM
  2. Investment Opportunity: Buying Empty Lots

    By max_boost in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 28
    Latest Threads: 07-12-2006, 10:43 PM
  3. FS: My House! Great development opportunity.

    By ringmaster in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 28
    Latest Threads: 02-02-2006, 07:59 PM
  4. RCMP in Strathmore - any experiences?

    By Bingo7510 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 11-08-2004, 06:54 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 10-10-2002, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •